Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
me and 2 buddies been trappin everyday for a week and a 1/2. some good mornins, some skunked mornins. we caught at least 1 thing on every place. been settin traps everywhere. private land and national forest. finally found out the best trappin is on the water right now. hard to catch on dry land. fox, cats, and yote not cooperating. heres a few pics when i finally brought my camera. bummed out on the fur prices. cant afford gas, wire, and beer.

:cheers:

beaver went 45 lb

released unharmed with about 3/4 of his tail left. shoulda used him for bait

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Nice goin, Keep after them.:wave:

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
not to shaby:2thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Originally posted by missouri10x
lol that smilin jack rat wont bring much
No, but he will make good bait.:dancin:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
those opposums are just for skin'in practice. be nice to catch a cinnamon one.

this was caught on saturday...

and this on sunday...

pulled traps on sunday. gonna putem back out tomorrow on dry land. hopefully the land predators will be sturrin up.

:drunk:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Nice catches:eek::,
too bad most of our reds have the frosty rump,Ive caught a few that didn'tbut they are very few & far between

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,888 Posts
Nothing better than a plump beaver....:D

BTW... I don't know if you ever read any of Lewis & Clarks journals... But, they mention several times beaver tail was one of the favorite meats that their men would eat....

Ever eat any beaver tail?:thinking:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah. dont care for the mixes. be nice to catch one all soild color.

my buddies grandpa caught a blonde-ish red. looked more blonde than red. awesome lookin fox.

·
Registered
14,151 Posts
Originally posted by callaojoe

BTW... I don't know if you ever read any of Lewis & Clarks journals... But, they mention several times beaver tail was one of the favorite meats that their men would eat....

:rof2::rof2:

i will stoop to your level....

i have eaten beaver....:peepwall:

·
11,357 Posts
Congrats!! Looks like you are doing pretty well. I have stopped setting my live traps. I was getting blanked every night and some were freezing up.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,888 Posts
Originally posted by ryanlowe02

Actually,

That was a serious question.....:thinking:

In Lewis & Clarks journals.... Beaver tail was one of their favorite things to eat.... Was curious if anyone had ever tried it.....:confused:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah we had some jokes about the 45lb beaver on the way home.:D

never ate the tail, its white meat though. never ate **** either. id try it though if it was cooked right.

reason i pulled them too was the ice. had the water freeze over my traps. had to chisel a few traps just to pull them out.

thinkin im gonna use alot of sawdust tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Originally posted by Bowkil
yeah. dont care for the mixes. be nice to catch one all soild color.

my buddies grandpa caught a blonde-ish red. looked more blonde than red. awesome lookin fox.

That would be kool, I caught one once that had all white feet instead of black, gave it to a guy to mount, never did see the mount, don't know what ever happened to it, wish I had pix.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Originally posted by ryanlowe02

Actually,

That was a serious question.....:thinking:

In Lewis & Clarks journals.... Beaver tail was one of their favorite things to eat.... Was curious if anyone had ever tried it.....:confused:
I ate bbq beaver before, very tender & tasty but the tail ?? I don't know about that one.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,888 Posts
Venison was the preferred meat, but the explorers also loved to munch beaver tails, which Lewis called “a most delicious morsel.†Trapped hard by colonists, beavers were already growing scarce in the Atlantic coastal states, but the West was still loaded with them. Beavers were particularly thick in the area around Three Forks. The explorers set traps in the evenings and fired at swimming beavers when they got the chance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts