Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday, I was trying to find a creek crossing to find some elusive bucks, when I happened to see this turtle walking in the creek. I knew it wasn't a snapper, so I thought it would be cool to get some pics of it. It litterally took me 30 seconds to get down to it. On the way down, some brush got between me & it. When I got there, no turtle. Here's a pic.

Attachments

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Swam fast too. 100% webbed feet. It used them as shovels to get sand & mud over it's back. It burried in the mud in the water is about 10 seconds. Never seen anything like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
That's a pretty cool find. I've never seen one outside of a zoo.

·
Former Chicken Man
20,332 Posts
I've caught a few small ones by grabbing them, in the Meramec and in the Huzzah. I was with my friends grandpa as he was running his trot line on the Meramec, and when he pulled up this huge softshell he got mad!!!! He said he hated them, then slit it's throat and cut it loose from the line. :rotfl:

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
very cool stuff. How big was it?

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Side to side it was about 10-12". Pretty good size. I picked it up with a hand under each side trying to get it onto a sandbar to take a pic. It hit the dirt upside down when it tried to bite me. No NO NO, that wasn't happenin.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by Outdoorsman
What is that a fish in the left side of the pic? It's buried down where it's moist. Must be running out of Water.. and took shelter.
I think what you are seeing is some of the beginning mud coming up from the turtle. It is digging in again as I took the pic. I don't remember seeing any fish in there. This creek usually don't run enough water to hold many fish larger than minnows.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Very cool photos indeed!!
:cheers::cheers:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.