Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about the screwup trying to post this originally. I think I will get it right this time.

Major bummer--after using my StealthCam for several months last fall with excellent results, I took it down for the winter. Set it up again 6 weeks ago at the farm (Lewis County) when my Dad and I were up there doing some work at the place. Went up there to turkey hunt this past weekend. After the morning hunt Saturday, went to the camera location to change out the memory cards. Lo and behold, I discovered that someone had stolen it--took it all, including the 12v battery and case that was setting on the ground. That really ticks me off--we obviously have trespassers that are most likely hunting as well (I found a spent turkey shotshell in another area), but they are also thieves. Our place is somewhat remote and a long walk to get to on foot, but evidently that did not deter these jerks.

Sorry to vent, but I am really %$^&# off. Over $200 worth of equipment gone; don't know if I will replace it or not, 'cause if it happened once, it definitely can happen again...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I wish I had an answer for you. There ain't much crime out in the country, but what happens usually goes unsolved. Really ticks me off! :mad:

·
Registered
92 Posts
a good thing about a cuddeback, they steal it and it is worthless to them. you have to have a owner password and a lock password to make it operate. i have my name and phone number stamped on ever picture. the sad thing you are out $400. the good thing they have a peace of junk!

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Originally posted by Okie
a good thing about a cuddeback, they steal it and it is worthless to them. you have to have a owner password and a lock password to make it operate. i have my name and phone number stamped on ever picture. the sad thing you are out $400. the good thing they have a peace of junk!
I still need to program mine like that Okie....I still use it on the "easy" mode....lol. I also bought a pair of little padlocks for mine, at least it'll keep the honest thief from taking it!!!

G

·
I'd be a little POed too.... I did however, hear of a guy that the same thing happened to him one time. He, also had had a lot of problems with tresspassers so....... he decided to beat themt their own game.... He bought 2 camera next time. One to put out in the open and the other one to capture images of the first cam. He checked it weekly and about 6 weeks after he had staged the setup... he got results. Front and back views of the perps were taken with the hidden cam. Those pics also included a shot of them with the cam in their posession. All that was left to do was to take the pics he had to the Sheriff and it was a done deal. After a years court proceddings he got all of his equipment back. To add insult to injury he posts their names in the local paper every anniversary of their conviction with the words... "No hard feeling guys.. I hope...

I love that kind of justice......:dancin::dancin::dancin:

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Now THAT's a heck of an idea mrb. I've always though of using a cheapy cam on a ladder stand that sat close to a property line.

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
I know hind sites 20-20,,,but it is probably a good idea to pull cams out of the woods during hunting seasons. Lets face it,,if a guy will blatantly tresspass,,,he'll probably steal too. And they do most their tresspassing during the hunting season. Turkey season is probably a real bad time to have them out, since tresspassers will be not hunting from stands and moving around more than they would bowhunting .

:cheers::cheers:

G

·
Hayzer......

If Henry still has problems this summer with thieves we are going to set up a wireless motion activiated webcam to a VCR recorder. Talk about good..... Gotta love it...

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Well when it gets closer to putting them things out give me a hollar. I'll help ya. That way I'll know which areas to stay away from this time.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, Henry, I have been thinking a lot about this since it happened and I have come to the same conclusion you did. Turkey season is probably the worst time to have a camera out; with people roaming all over the place chasing birds, they are much more likely to encounter one's camera. Much more so than deer season when hunters are more likely to stay in one place, which is likely not on someone else's land, during daylight, anyway.

I had so much fun with my cam last year that I probably cannot resist buying another one. However, I would probably be foolish to put one back in the same location overlooking my mineral lick, since the thief I bet would be likely to check there again someday. Putting a cam out to watch another cam with my luck would likely end up with me getting two more stolen!

Maybe I should post a sign where they stole the camera from, saying something along the lines that we know they are trespassing and that they are being watched. Who knows, it might serve as a deterrent and could be worth a try. I don't think I really have anything to lose in that scenario...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.