Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, I went out to the farm to pick up my Mule that was left there after finishing the plots on Thursday. We had my wifes niece with us & was attempting to show her some deer. So we walked back to the food plot field & hung out there for a while. After a while, the 13 yr old started getting fidgety, so I said, ok, let's take a stoll up to the crp, as I've been seeing a young doe/fawn up there in the clover quite a bit. Nothing, but the clover sure is looking good. Glad I mowed it 2 weeks ago. took our time looking at the plots, the girls picking up turkey feathers & just enjoying a nice walk. I warned them, be quiet coming through the low water crossing because the deer like to feed in those beans in the bottom. It's just getting dusk, but we can still see pretty good, especially with bino's. Sure enough, I spot a buck about 100 yds out. Good 10 point, pretty sure I've got pics of him. On further exploring, I see another, then another, then another, then another. There were 5 bucks in that group in daylight hours in the open. 2 were good solid 10's. One I've never got a pic of yet, real high tight 10, & the smaller of the 2 10's I've been getting pics of. The screwed up racked buck was there, the big yearling 6 & one other yearling. The real big 10 was not there, but I've got more good pics of him. He's appearing at the feeder between 1-3 am daily.

Boys & girls, I'm absolutely stoked. Even if none of us put a big one down, I've got a feeling this is going to be one heck of a bowseason.

After all that, I get home & check the one card that I pulled, & I get a couple pics of 5 deer running together at 6:30 am.

[file]7810[/file]

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,475 Posts
PW,
Have you got enough pictures to firgure out the configuration of his rack around that g2/g3 area on his right side? I just can't figure out how those points are sitting in there.

That SURE is a nice buck!

When you get a picture of him out of velvet, could you start a new thread with one pic in velvet and one pic out, showing everyone the mass that is lost when the velvet comes off of a big boy? I'd LOVE to see that.

Parker

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,357 Posts
That is one nice looking buck you have there pinwheel. I hope he sticks around so that you have a chance of sticking him yourself.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Parker
PW,
Have you got enough pictures to firgure out the configuration of his rack around that g2/g3 area on his right side? I just can't figure out how those points are sitting in there.

That SURE is a nice buck!

When you get a picture of him out of velvet, could you start a new thread with one pic in velvet and one pic out, showing everyone the mass that is lost when the velvet comes off of a big boy? I'd LOVE to see that.

Parker
Here's a few more shots of him parker. Hopefully this will answer your questions. I will most definately start a new thread with him out of velvet if I get any shots. I'm anxious to see the difference myself. This buck never comes from the right, always from the left. The area he comes from is a virtual jungle. You just can't walk in there.

I've never gotten so many shots of a mature buck. This has convinced me that all my fall cams are going to be ir. I looked last night & the camera is less than 20 feet from the feeder. I'm going to start experimenting this morning on converting a couple other cameras to ir.

I'm really hesitant to put this question out there. Anyone want to venture a guess as to what this buck will score out of velvet? The reason I'm hesitant is I posted a guess at his final score on another site & got quite the stir. Personally, I think he's gonna get in the 160 range. Had one guy put an insulting 135 score with him.

[file]7815[/file]

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by venatic
That is one nice looking buck you have there pinwheel. I hope he sticks around so that you have a chance of sticking him yourself.
I appreciate that, but I'm sure not counting him down. I hunted hard last year & never seen him in the light of day. I'm pretty sure this was him from last year.

[file]7818[/file]

·
Registered
598 Posts
Those are some cool pictures pinwheel. I'm in no any kind of scorer on racks.:rotfl: My nephew arrowed a nice 10 pointer year before last, it scored something like 140. The 10 pointer in your picture has a taller rack. I guess when you get him on the ground this fall, you will let us know what he scores.:cheers:

·
Banned
81,584 Posts
Pics like that make a guy feel about opening day like a little kid does xmas:banana:

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
My guess would be somewhere in the 150's Pinwheel. He could make 60's but I think he's going to be quite a bit less massive without the velvet and maybe it's just me, but his main beams don't seem real long.

That being said...He sure is a dandy!!!!! Good luck with him this year!

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,475 Posts
Originally posted by Hoytshooter
My guess would be somewhere in the 150's Pinwheel. He could make 60's but I think he's going to be quite a bit less massive without the velvet and maybe it's just me, but his main beams don't seem real long.

That being said...He sure is a dandy!!!!! Good luck with him this year!
I'm with Hoytshooter. Hoyt, you still got our formula? If you've got it, email it to me please. I lost my copy on my old computer.

Its GOING to go over 135! :hysterical:

Parker

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He may only get in the 150's, won't know till someone kills him. But here's why I feel he'll be better than that.

#1, He's at least a 4 year old, maybe 5. Take a look at that brisket & paunch. Younger deer don't have that.

#2, I'm not guessing net score, I'm guessing gross. Only way I can do it with an animal on the hoof.

Here's my estimated measurements. I've tried to be conservative, but may have taken liberties.

Spread credit 18"
Main beam 21"
G1 6"
G2 11"
G3 12"
G4 6"

H1 5.5"
H2 4.5"
H3 4"
H4 3.5"

total 73.5 x2 = 147" + 18" spread = 165"

Out of velvet will make this a lot easier to estimate, but I can't imagine this buck with less than 5.5" bases.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.