Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the range this morning, and took along my little .221 Fireball rifle, among others. I was fooling around with a load I thought would shoot well enough. It did. I think I like this little rifle more and more, every time I shoot it. It doesn't kick much at all, isn't very noisy, and kills PDs like it means it, too. CZ rifles come with pretty good barrels, too. Not too bad for a lightweight, 7 pound rifle, all scoped up and ready to go ratkilling.:D:D:D:D:D

Attachments

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
100 yards, it was foggy early this morning (some places near here got 5+ inches of rain this week), so we set up at 100 yards, (shorter walk, too:D).

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
Good shootin!

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Very nice one hole!! Do you have a chrony??

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn\'t chrono today

My rifle is in the background, Jim's is the Remington, in the foreground. Both are .221 Fireballs, his has a 24" barrel, and chronos this load at about 3100fps. Mine has a 22" barrel, for about 3050fps. It doesn't have to be fast to shoot straight, though:D:D
Remington did a run in 2002, for the 700 Classic, when it was more popular than expected, they did a SS Mountain Rifle, a VSSF, and some others, including the current LVSF model.
Mine is a CZ 527, which is a current model, and a very good little rifle.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
What I was wondering is...what are the ES and SD of your loads?

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
on a quick side note i did get out for a short session on sat. to sight in the .243 and my 7mm. it was a bit breezy and the target stands would shift side to side at times a bit but i still managed to shoot alright. i didn't get groups like glens but i was alright with the .243 for what it is and was very please with the 7mm. my 7mm seems to have a real tase for sierra game kings. i only had 55 gr varment rounds for the .243 so i'll be getting back out with that one in due time. right now i'm in the hunt for a replacement stock for it so i can cut it back to fit my son.

·
Under appreciated
92,110 Posts
Good shooting glen.. I like those cz rifles too.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thayer, I don't have that info handy. Both were under 20, probably under 10. We tested that load, or something very similar, in Jim's Fireballs (he had two, at the time) a couple of years ago. We simply use that load for every bullet we shoot, 40s or 50s, it's just a very well balanced load. Load density is very good, the powder comes halfway up the case neck. With 50s, there is some mild compression, with 40s it's about even with the base of the bullet. That usually means SD and ES are small, though.
I shot both 40s and 50s in SD, mostly 50s, because we had some wind to contend with. It didn't blast the PDs as well as a .204 or .223, but it sure was decisive, anyway. Even in the little lightweight rifle, I got to see the hits, which is what it's all about, for me. :D

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Man, if those Extreme Spreads were that low, you definitely have that load fine tuned. If your Standard Deviation is in the single digits...you won't be able to improve it that much...very nice glenn, very nice...

I always strive for low double digit ES and a single digit SD...sometimes you can find it, sometimes you can't....

Do you have rifles that shoot well without the low numbers?

My 30-06 is one of those quirky rifles that does real well, even if it doesn't show up on the chrony.

Keep em in the 10 ring!

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've had SDs of "2" with some pistol loads, but they just shot mediocre to bad... While I look at ES pretty closely, I don't worry too much about SD, which is so much mumbo jumbo to me, and pretty meaningless. Statistically, the more rounds you shoot, the lower your SD should be, assuming any care whatosever when loading the ammo. SOOOOO, if you shot 10K rounds, you should be able to get really small numbers. Of course, you'll have shot up all your ammo and worn out your barrel, but you got SMALL NUMBERS:cool3: SD is important for VERY long range rifle work, but for most of us, shooting a deer or two, it's not critical, even for PD shooting. If I can keep rifle ammo under 20 SD, I done REAL good, especially with a small sample.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
:eek::eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.