Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Navy/Air Force/Army
17,079 Posts
Yeah what you said makes sense, saving a little money now will eventually leave me wanting more. I'm already wanting a different bow and I've only had mine for about a month lol.

I appreciate everyone's input on this. Like I said I'm extremely new to it and learning as I go.
Where are you located? You can shoot mine to see what it's like.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I am in Peculiar (just south of Kansas City). That's really nice of you to offer that.
I've lurked around this place off and on for 15yrs before I signed up. I think you'll find most of these jack legs will gladly help in any way they can if they can. I've met a handful that have frequented this place over the years, every one good people.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I use 240 sabots with 100 gr pellet and 209 primer when using the cva acura v2. It’s almost too easy and accurate though so i like using an old school muzzle loader with 95 gr of powder with patch and round ball.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Honestly if u r getting a first muzzle loader get a cva wolf. There super cheap and super accurate! Ive killed many deer with a wolf with iron sights

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I have been doing some reading on Muzzleloaders lately and I think I am interested in getting one. I have never had one, nor shot one. I think I am going to start with a budget friendly one to start with. Below is what I am thinking I want/need to get going. If anyone has any different suggestions I am open to them. I'm sure some of these options like powder/bullets are to some degree just personal preference, which I don't have any being totally new.

- CVA Wolf Nitrade W/Camo Stock & Scope Mount (50 cal) - ~$320
- Federal 209 Primers - ~$28
- PowerBelt Aerotip Bullets - ~$21
- Hodgdon Triple 7 Power Pellets (50cal) - ~$30
- PowerBelt Speed Clip - ~$10 (Carry extra bullets and pellets and hopefully keep them dry)
- Vortex Diamondback 3-9 Scope - ~$170
You can buy a Optima V2 in SS/Black stock for under $300 or $350-380 in nitride SS.
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/brands/cva-optimatm-v2-pr2020sm.html

You dont need mag primers for Triple7

I can show you where to get a better bullet cheaper that wont grenade. (Fury Custom Bullet full bores) https://www.furycustombullets.com/webapp/p/223/black-powder-muzzleloader

Why would you want to spend more on pellets and get less performance?

You DONT want a DiamondBack 3x9 on a ML. The eye relief is too short. Especially on that rifle with the supplied mount. Look at a Loopie 3x9x40 for around $200 on sale.

·
PURE KILLER
38,020 Posts
Have to agree ditch the powerbelts

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
You can buy a Optima V2 in SS/Black stock for under $300 or $350-380 in nitride SS.
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/brands/cva-optimatm-v2-pr2020sm.html

You dont need mag primers for Triple7

I can show you where to get a better bullet cheaper that wont grenade. (Fury Custom Bullet full bores) https://www.furycustombullets.com/webapp/p/223/black-powder-muzzleloader

Why would you want to spend more on pellets and get less performance?

You DONT want a DiamondBack 3x9 on a ML. The eye relief is too short. Especially on that rifle with the supplied mount. Look at a Loopie 3x9x40 for around $200 on sale.
I just put sig Sauer whiskey 3 3x9x40 on my ML and eye relief on it is . Really liking it for a lower range scope.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
3.6" of relief is about the least you will want to go. The problem with the CVA is the mount is pretty far forward. A scope in the 3.7 to 4.2 inch range gives you some wiggle room in the 1 piece base/rings.

The Loopie is exactly in that eye relief range. The Redfield Revolution is also if you can still find one.
$219 for a 3x9x50 Redfield
https://www.opticsplanet.com/redfie...e-matte-finish-4-plex-accu-range-reticle.html

My personal preference is a 2x10 but those can get pricey. Burris has a new one in the FullField IV line that might be ok for a cheaper scope. Most of the others will be $300 or more.
https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/fullfield-iv-riflescopes/fullfield-iv-2.5-10x42mm

·
Registered
23,068 Posts
Ok I will do some more reading on bullets to buy, haven't touched on that much yet.

Yeah I have been reading a couple other threads about this. I didn't even realize they could be used.
Utter brilliance once again exhibited by our shining MDC!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
ML's benefit GREATLY from every extra inch of barrel.
No they really dont. The difference between a 25" and 27" wont be more than 50fps. More like 38fps. The new Paramount is only a 26" and made for loads far exceeding the other CVAs. Your gain per inch will be in the 19-25fps range at most.

I get over 2100fps from a 45cal 27" barrel with a 275gr bullet with just 110gr of BH209. You can get 1950fps from a 50cal 24" and a 110gr/300gr bullet. A 50cal 26" shooting 120gr of BH209 and a 300gr is good for around 2025fps. A 50cal 30" will give you about 2075fps

So you actually gain very little after about 26". Ive had loads that just swapping sabots gave me another 44fps.

·
1,593 Posts
I've got a TC Triumph with a Nikon Omega scope. I shoot BH209 and Shockwaves.

I practice quite a bit and have killed deer out to 300 yards with it (297 to be exact). Very accurate when you work up good loads and know your ballistics and what works well with your firearm.

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
No they really dont. The difference between a 25" and 27" wont be more than 50fps. More like 38fps. The new Paramount is only a 26" and made for loads far exceeding the other CVAs. Your gain per inch will be in the 19-25fps range at most.

I get over 2100fps from a 45cal 27" barrel with a 275gr bullet with just 110gr of BH209. You can get 1950fps from a 50cal 24" and a 110gr/300gr bullet. A 50cal 26" shooting 120gr of BH209 and a 300gr is good for around 2025fps. A 50cal 30" will give you about 2075fps

So you actually gain very little after about 26"
I was more thinking about the 20" barrel Wolf vs the 27" Optima. But glad you stopped by the help line us out. Fella lookin for you about a smokeless also.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Wolf is not a 20" barrel its a 24". Optima is a 26" and a great value at well under $300.

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
Still only about $200 more for a top end barrel

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
How is it top end? Because they stamp Bergara on the Accura line? All CVA barrels come out of the same plant in Bergara Spain and are made from the same steel.

I see no mention of anything other than additional polishing. I see no mention of additional air gauging or anything else "premium" barrel makers do to their higher end barrels.

Ive seen some real garbage Bergara branded barrels. You know those barrels that were supposed to get a higher level of polishing and inspection.

I know of a couple guys that cant get their brand spanking new 45cal 1-22 Accura LRs to shoot worth a damn and neither one is a novice. They both have some super nice rifles including other CVAs that shoot just fine.

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
How is it top end? Because they stamp Bergara on the Accura line? All CVA barrels come out of the same plant in Bergara Spain and are made from the same steel.

I see no mention of anything other than additional polishing. I see no mention of additional air gauging or anything else "premium" barrel makers do to their higher end barrels.

Ive seen some real garbage Bergara branded barrels. You know those barrels that were supposed to get a higher level of polishing and inspection.

I know of a couple guys that cant get their brand spanking new 45cal 1-22 Accura LRs to shoot worth a damn and neither one is a novice. They both have some super nice rifles including other CVAs that shoot just fine.
So you're saying Bergara isn't a top end barre maker, it's a region in Spain....??

21 - 40 of 47 Posts