Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Thinking about a bench (shooting) rest

486 views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Meller 
#1 ·
Here is the selection Cabelas offers:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...602007&parentType=category&parentId=cat602007

And here is what Midway offers:

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...yId=17732&categoryString=655***689***15820***

Which do you folks have and what do you recommend? I'm not a big shooter but need to shoot more. Am joining Mississippi Valley Gun Club which is less than a mile and a half from my house and plan to do a bit more shooting in the future...even though I'd rather shoot a bow. Anyhow keeping me under 150 bucks do you think one of these is better than the rest??

#7 ·
[rquote=1514734&tid=105617&author=archer66]Hey mailman what is that long black thing laying on the bench to your right with the blue end on it??[/rquote]

Yep....SNA2STL is correct. It is a cleaning rod. I use one when I'm testing a rifle for what load it likes to use. After each three round group I shoot I run a patch with oil down it and then a clean one. That way each group of three shots will be the same no matter how many I shoot in one day.

You have to keep everything constantly on the same level.

#8 ·
archer, I have the cabela's one that is listed as sold out. I like it, but don't use it fully anymore. Only part I really use is the front rest. I use regular bags for the buttstock and found its easier to make minute adjustmants by squeezing the rear rest bad with my off hand. I also bought a good slip on recoil pad for my 7mm Mag. Pachmayr Decelerator.

Another reason I quit using the rear part is becuase not all stocks will fit in very good and can ding up the stock when firing. Especially wood stocks. I put a really nice ding in the stock on my 700 CDL-SF from it. I'm talking mainly the stocks with raised cheek pieces.

It does definitely tame the recoil though. Especially if you weigh it down like called for.

#10 ·
[rquote=1515100&tid=105617&author=Heeler75]archer, I have the cabela's one that is listed as sold out. I like it, but don't use it fully anymore. Only part I really use is the front rest. I use regular bags for the buttstock and found its easier to make minute adjustmants by squeezing the rear rest bad with my off hand. I also bought a good slip on recoil pad for my 7mm Mag. Pachmayr Decelerator.

Another reason I quit using the rear part is becuase not all stocks will fit in very good and can ding up the stock when firing. Especially wood stocks. I put a really nice ding in the stock on my 700 CDL-SF from it. I'm talking mainly the stocks with raised cheek pieces.

It does definitely tame the recoil though. Especially if you weigh it down like called for. [/rquote]

Thanks heeler. I wasn't wanting it for the reduce recoil...got it in my head to get one because I was trying to sight down my ML barrel to line it up then adjust the scope to match and the darn thing kept moving on me...thought a bench rest might take care of that.

#11 ·
[rquote=1515112&tid=105617&author=archer66][rquote=1515100&tid=105617&author=Heeler75]archer, I have the cabela's one that is listed as sold out. I like it, but don't use it fully anymore. Only part I really use is the front rest. I use regular bags for the buttstock and found its easier to make minute adjustmants by squeezing the rear rest bad with my off hand. I also bought a good slip on recoil pad for my 7mm Mag. Pachmayr Decelerator.

It does definitely tame the recoil though. Especially if you weigh it down like called for. [/rquote]

Thanks heeler. I wasn't wanting it for the reduce recoil...got it in my head to get one because I was trying to sight down my ML barrel to line it up then adjust the scope to match and the darn thing kept moving on me...thought a bench rest might take care of that.[/rquote]

It does work really well for that. :cheers:

#12 ·
I have both sandbags, and a LeadSled....I like them both!!!:cheers::wave:

Now that I live in the country, I need to build meself a nice shootin bench!!!

#13 ·
66- I have a lightweight "SightVice" I picked up somewhere years ago. It will hold the rifle and is adjustable both ways. I use it for the "one shot sight-in" operation. I'm not real high on it but it will speed up the sight-in operation.

I don't use anything to block up the rifle at the range except a couple of sandbags to support my holding hand. I'm certainly not opposed to useing the aids just prefer not too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.