Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does a guy need, I got an AR-15, good camo, but what else is needed?

I guess I would need an electronic call, but what is out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Sounds like all you need is some mouth calls & they are cheap compared to an electronic caller

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Good question BukWild. I'll be watchin this thread because I was just about to post a similar thread. Like, how much to call? What call to use? Any and all GOOD advice is greatly appreciated. Not trying to hijack your thread BukWild, just figured I'd ask a few questions pertaining to the same thing. GOOD THREAD. :claphands:

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[rquote=1503235&tid=104892&author=Hunter79]Good question BukWild. I'll be watchin this thread because I was just about to post a similar thread. Like, how much to call? What call to use? Any and all GOOD advice is greatly appreciated. Not trying to hijack your thread BukWild, just figured I'd ask a few questions pertaining to the same thing. GOOD THREAD. :claphands:[/rquote]

No hijack taken, let's ask away!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
A motion decoy would be a good addition. You don't have to go fancy !! A rabbit fur with a jerk string works. Some motion to catch their eye is all thats needed to get their attention off of You.
Good luck !!
Cat

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
kill them all

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
ME TOO!! I wanna go bad! I got me a new Fox Pro Caller that I am dyin to try out. Kinda hopin I ain't workin tommorrow:D

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
some mouth calls, a "decoy" would help alot..rabbit fur on a string, i've used a squirrel tail on a skinny metal rod (like a surveyors flag) so when the wind blew it would move a little.

·
17,674 Posts
Add one more for wantin to go yote huntin. Sure wish we all lived closer. How fun would that be?:D:claphands::claphands::claphands::cheers:

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
hunt the wind just like you do deer yotes will try to circle you and come in down wind every time
when you make a set for yotes if they come they will come fast 99.9 percent of the time
i make a set if i don't suspect a bobby in the area i never say more than 15 mins....those 99.9 percent of yotes i have call show up with in five mins normally at a trot no lie i have shot as may with my shot gun as my rifle when calling
if i go with a friend one of us allways has a shotgun period.

if you think theres bobby cats and a chance of calling them spend at least 45 mins per set and make no howls ....if you throw out howls your cutting your chances of calling in a bobby.....bobbys always sneak in typically they will come to a feild or brush edge and set down and look at you for along time

i don't even own a e caller just use hand calls some guys i have hunted with have e callers but even then i throw in lots of hand calls just to add to the varity.....im not a fan of ecallers most cost alot more than i feel they are worth....

when calling yotes every sound means something there are lots of differnt types of howl aggressive lonely challege ect ect if you don't know what your making don't....wrong one wrong time of year you just wasted your spot.....

typically for a yote set it would go something like this for me

get hid throw out a lonesome howl just a hey here i am what you up to.....typically you don't get an answer....
i will wait a few mins then go in to a cotton tail in distress i always start out quite you can always call louder but you blow a yote out with a blasting sound to a close one game is over.....i will call for 30 seconds to a min then shut up for 1-2 mins then start back in.....once i see a yote coming i will typically shut up as long as hes still coming if he stops give him a little till he starts coming again
sometimes all it takes is a lip squeek with the back of my hand

i don't mix different distress calls at the same spot pic one use it .....if it don't work try a different call at a different spot

on a good day i might call in a yote at 10% of my sets

some days i will make a set not call anything move two hills over that might not be a 1/8 mile away make another set and call in something on windy days sound don't carry make your sets closer on calm days spread them out maybe a mile or more......

lots of times i will get more than one yote at a time 2 -4 in a group isn't uncommon

some guys like to call late spring early fall to get a shot at the young dogs
i don't go if the grounds not frozen i just don't have luck ....yotes main food is mice...i wait till the ground is frozen and its hard for them to dig up mice and hungry i have better luck you will too....

i like to use open reed calls they are harder to get the hang of but don't frezze up as bad in the cold weather as opposed to close reed call....
http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/
is a great place to get calls

my favorite calls are the
tally-ho
Verminator tweety
and the Dan Thompson red dessert howler (primos and randy anderson have copied this call and sell a cheap ripped off verson of it at bass pro and the like but i wouldn't even hunt with a guy carrying one just burns my back side what randy did to Dan....)

those three calls are always with me

ps mr parker has also made a awesome sounding closed reed call i have now that is easy easy to blow great sounding call as well.....i just have to get out and get it feild tested now.....

theres alot more tips i could go on forever but alot of it is just get out there and try it and learn.....
is a great place to get calls

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
oh yeah a decoy for a yote ....waste of time and money....for a cat....tie a feather on a peice of fishing line on a windy day tie it a twig and let it blow off to one side or the other of you just so a cat wont look at it and see you right behind it....

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
[rquote=1503592&tid=104892&author=huntforfunnfood]oh yeah a decoy for a yote ....waste of time and money....for a cat....tie a feather on a peice of fishing line on a windy day tie it a twig and let it blow off to one side or the other of you just so a cat wont look at it and see you right behind it....[/rquote]

really wouldnt call it a waste of time and money...unless your paying big bucks for one of those motorized waggin decoys. anything to get the focus off of you is good when pred huntin imo

·
Your Local Know It All
7,021 Posts
Great tips Tony!

BTH

·
Registered
587 Posts
[rquote=1503592&tid=104892&author=huntforfunnfood]oh yeah a decoy for a yote ....waste of time and money....for a cat....tie a feather on a peice of fishing line on a windy day tie it a twig and let it blow off to one side or the other of you just so a cat wont look at it and see you right behind it....[/rquote]

I have numerous pieces of video footage to prove that theory wrong.

I wouldn't call a yote attacking a decoy a waste of time. :whistle:

Besides, they can be had for under 20.00

I waste more than that on jerky.

L:hysterical::rof2::hysterical::rof2:

·
Registered
16,729 Posts
:pop:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Get a mouth call. I've never had success with an electronic call and once you master a mouth call they're killer. :cheers:

=*=ViperSniper=*=

1 - 20 of 30 Posts