Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Grand PooBah
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your stance?
I can see where it is very beneficial.
I can also see the potential for abuse.

I'm sure there will have to be more regulations for hunting purposes.

Here is a good use:

· Registered
14,319 Posts
I think it will end up being more efficient for finding deer than dogs. You can search without running them out of the county. I follow his channel and have noticed there are still issues to improve upon.

Also I don't see this being an issue anytime soon for abuse by poachers. $20k minimum for the drone's that are even remotely close to doing that. Most criminals aren't spending that $$$$$

· Registered
320 Posts
I hate drones and would shot them all down if I could...but that is pretty cool, nonetheless. My main beef, like many others, is privacy. I'd hate to see these flying all over public lands (or uninvited over private). Cost is pretty steep now, but they'll make them affordable enough as time goes by.

Just think of the possibilities during spring turkey season...I'd find all the roosting turkeys! LOL

· Registered
9,765 Posts
call me old school, but what is the problem with following the blood trail and learning when to begin the track and knowing when to back out and wait?
My buddy with a tracking dog finds deer by the hundreds every year with no blood to speak of. I’m guessing you have lost deer during your lifetime and didn’t even realize it. Deer are pretty amazing at running a long ways even when hit in spots that normally would kill them within 100 yards

Tracking dogs don’t even track blood for this reason btw they are tracking the individual wounded deer itself using its scent from glands in its foot

· Registered
2,967 Posts
Interesting thing on drones and drone usage. A few pieces of our ground is on both sides of a county road. Given the road is only a mile long, we are pretty much the only ones that travel it. Last week I was feeding cattle and saw a PU driving slow...we've been fighting waterfowl poachers all season...jumping our fences and then ponds shooting off hte geese and ducks...they also stole a trailer from us.

So, I go up to this guy...and find out he is using a drone to check ponds....I asked, you dont have permission to hunt my ground or ponds so why are you looking here #1 and #2 if I see your drone over my ground, I'll expect your intentions are not honest and I'll shoot it down. The ruffled his feathers but I dont give a crap. Why else would you use it?

Drones can be good...but I see them as being used for bad.

· Don't mind me
10,379 Posts
Interesting thing on drones and drone usage. A few pieces of our ground is on both sides of a county road. Given the road is only a mile long, we are pretty much the only ones that travel it. Last week I was feeding cattle and saw a PU driving slow...we've been fighting waterfowl poachers all season...jumping our fences and then ponds shooting off hte geese and ducks...they also stole a trailer from us.

So, I go up to this guy...and find out he is using a drone to check ponds....I asked, you dont have permission to hunt my ground or ponds so why are you looking here #1 and #2 if I see your drone over my ground, I'll expect your intentions are not honest and I'll shoot it down. The ruffled his feathers but I dont give a crap. Why else would you use it?

Drones can be good...but I see them as being used for bad.
He could bring the drone down low to flush the birds off of your pond and over to his.

· Don't mind me
10,379 Posts
I've been following the Texas guys that use thermal drones to find hogs then sneak up on them and shoot them all on camera. It's pretty sweet!
I'm assuming their drones are normal thermal and can't go to that night vision that he uses to zoom onto the actual deer.

I think using thermal for finding wounded or dead animals is awesome and not intrusive!!

· Super Moderator
28,538 Posts
My buddy with a tracking dog finds deer by the hundreds every year with no blood to speak of. I’m guessing you have lost deer during your lifetime and didn’t even realize it. Deer are pretty amazing at running a long ways even when hit in spots that normally would kill them within 100 yards

Tracking dogs don’t even track blood for this reason btw they are tracking the individual wounded deer itself using its scent from glands in its foot
pretty sure I realized it if I lost a deer :) Like the dog I have found hundreds of deer by assessing the shot placement, deer reaction, noting the very last place you saw the deer running, etc. and then determining thow long to wait or track and then adjust accordingly. Things definitely can and do happen, but 99% of the time dogs are not needed if hunters were more patient. Blood trailing can be painstakingly difficult down to pin drops, but diligence usually pays off. If you need a dog or drone, by all means have at it!

· Don't mind me
10,379 Posts
But you can ! Can see geese flying. A good one is very clear . I know a guy that bought some thermal binos range finding wing age and can link with your ballistics. $4800 scope was more . Has a truck I wouldn’t even ride on!
But you can ! Can see geese flying. A good one is very clear . I know a guy that bought some thermal binos range finding wing age and can link with your ballistics. $4800 scope was more . Has a truck I wouldn’t even ride on!
You can see the neck and head fine but the body isn't nearly as bright as a deer, squirrel, or songbird. I just looked at some turkeys behind my house through a thermal a week ago. And if you were going to actually try to roost birds with it, depending on how far along spring is, once leaves are on the trees you won't be able to see them anyways.

· Registered
9,765 Posts
pretty sure I realized it if I lost a deer :) Like the dog I have found hundreds of deer by assessing the shot placement, deer reaction, noting the very last place you saw the deer running, etc. and then determining thow long to wait or track and then adjust accordingly. Things definitely can and do happen, but 99% of the time dogs are not needed if hunters were more patient. Blood trailing can be painstakingly difficult down to pin drops, but diligence usually pays off. If you need a dog or drone, by all means have at it!
And what I’m telling you is if you have ever thought you missed a deer when you was young all together and there was zero bloood.You could have very easily not missed and it’s dead. Deer don’t always bleed if you honestly can say you have found every single deer that you have ever shot at then you are A)Lying or B) Haven’t shot at many deer. You only need a dog when you need it not to follow a blood trail to a dead deer

1 - 20 of 25 Posts