Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well with this rain hitting us only a week before the opener i say the doves that were here are now long gone. in the past month i been seeing more doves than last year. hopefully the opener will bring sunshine and alot of fast flying action.

gotta question though. a few years ago i put camo tape on my over and under, well now it is all peeling off and the sticky part stays on the gun. any ideas on getting that sticky stuff off?? after work tomorrow im gonna peeling it all off, but i need something to get that left over residue off the gun's stock and barrel. any advice would be well appraicated. im thinking wd40???

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Originally posted by Bowkil
any ideas on getting that sticky stuff off?? after work tomorrow im gonna peeling it all off, but i need something to get that left over residue off the gun's stock and barrel. any advice would be well appraicated. im thinking wd40???
Use Finger Nail Polish Remover for anything that is sticky and needs to be removed. This works for tape, stickers, or anything else. Just put some on a rag and rub until gone!

ALSO, I think gasoline works too.....but have always used finger nail polish remover because the misses has plenty to use!

·
Former Chicken Man
20,350 Posts
What do you plan to do with it once it's clean? If you're going to tape it again, couldn't you just tape over the goo?
If you're not going to tape it, you could use turpentine or kerosene to get it all off, then wipe it real good and then spray paint it. I spray painted my old one.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Originally posted by danceswithbooze
"goo-be-gone" it is a citris based product and might be a little easier on your stuff than the other products mentioned.
Goo-be-Gone will work too! AND...will probably be the "easiest" on the gun....

I was just trying to suggest something that will be around the house. Remember Nail Polich Remover when you have the price sticker on anything.....;)

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,529 Posts
I work with a lot of chemicals. In this case, I would suggest one of the citrus based cleaners. Mineral spirits (paint thinner) will work just as well. Fingernail polish remover is acetone, it will work, but it's also going to attack the finish on your wood.

Things to remember, acetone, laquer thinner, denatured alcohol, & mineral spirits will all act as a degreaser. I've listed them from the harshest to mildest. The first 3 have a high flash point & will dry almost immediatly. Remember, when using the above chemicals, do so in a well ventilated are with no open flame. They are all highly flamable.

As for the dove, there have sure been a boatload out at the farm. I mowed my buckwheat a couple of weeks ago & they just mobbed that stuff. I don't have time to dove hunt this year, but next will be a different story. I'm gonna plant a couple acres of buckwheat/sunflowers.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
gun scrubber that stuff will take anything off, ain't sure i would want it on wood though.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Originally posted by JarJar
Originally posted by danceswithbooze
"goo-be-gone" it is a citris based product and might be a little easier on your stuff than the other products mentioned.
Goo-be-Gone will work too! AND...will probably be the "easiest" on the gun....

I was just trying to suggest something that will be around the house. Remember Nail Polich Remover when you have the price sticker on anything.....;)
GBG! That's the way to go! He needs to get some to have on hand if he doesn't have any anyways. This stuff works wonders.

Parker

·
Registered
70,468 Posts
The first thing that I tried seemed to work on my old Model 12 that I had taped up for turkey hunting. A little expensive but I used a whole can of Gun Scrubber on it. It didn't hurt the finish on the stock but it did cost a bit for a new can after I used up the whole thing on the gun. Here is the post I put on this site pertaining the before and after pics. http://missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=25255#pid300833

·
Registered
70,468 Posts
And as for the doves leaving because of the rain. I'd say that some did but the majority have stayed here. There will be plenty more from up north heading out way within the next month or so. You'll get plenty of shooting at all the doves coming in from the north especially those that are from Iowa. No season there for them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.