The worst part about xbow inclusion

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by fullfan, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I seem to have bearded hens around every year and have killed 6 multi bearded birds in 6 years now.:thinking:

2. thwackaddict

thwackaddict Senior Member

Nov 1, 2007
    NW Missouri
    This may be the worst part of crossbow inclusion down the road. I hate to see traditional archery disappear. Here is what I posted on another related thread. It actually fits the thread title here better.......

I just had a "long term" thought. The kids that are all starting on crossbows because they aren't strong enough to pull a real bow, will they ever make the switch when they get older? Or, will many of them just stick with a crossbow because it is easier. In other words will crossbows be the death of normal archery? Ten-thirty years from now will archery companies and pro shops be drying up because everyone has switched to crossbow?

Human nature says that most will want the latest, greatest, most accurate, fastest, thing they can take to the woods with them. Like a 6.5 creedmoor.:D

3. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

English using a horse and buggy from time to time hasn't gone completely away. :D

4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I'm with ya... I have had 3 chances to kill bearded hens that I recall and never once was tempted.
    No telling how many you have passed :D

5. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    At some point Id like to have one mounted, but other than that I have no desire to shoot one. A kid, Id say fire away.

rat likes this.
  6. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    A KID I SAY IT IS LEGAL TO FIRE AWAY AND IF YOU JUST WANT TO KILL A TURKEY IT IS LEGAL, IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY THE SPRING WOODS AND HUNT A GOBBLER THEN LET HER WALK.

7. tcwild

tcwild Junior Member

Oct 16, 2013
    holden,mo
    I can't bash anyone for doing it. I've killed 1, I was probably 10 or 11 years old had only shot one other turkey. When I cleaned it and saw the eggs inside it made me sick to my stomach. Don't think id want a kid or anyone else shooting one and if they had to then take a look inside. My bet is if they really like huntin turkeys they won't do it again.

Hawk, 20' and Hooks like this.
  8. birdman

birdman Active Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Years ago while hunting with my son, a bearded hen with a very nice beard came in. I asked him if he wanted to shoot her and he said no, he wanted the tom that was with her. He waited and when he came in he killed him. He happened to have four beards.

tcwild, rat, Hooks and 1 other person like this.