The worst part about xbow inclusion

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by fullfan, Jan 16, 2018.

1. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Oh, I never said a reg prohibiting such couldnt be done. It just wont make any difference or will result in under-reporting when it does happen.... and it will.

2. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    Just like any other regulation....

20' likes this.

3. bajabill

bajabill BDR529

Feb 16, 2012
    East Central MO
    What version of the proposed changes and explanation do you have? Online only the October version is available and I think it started late spring or in the summer. I also remember reading it and feeling a lot of sway towards archery and against firearm hunters. It included reduced Nov season dates, reduced antlerless season dates, moving November season, and adding crossbows to archery. Think from a firearm only hunter's perspective, adding crossbows to archery before firearm season is not a gain, and firearm only hunters are the largest stakeholder of the deer hunting constituents.

4. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    I have all of them and I believe the parts about reducing antlered Buck tags were pretty much carbon copied throughout until they decided they would do the two buck instead of the one buck. Then it added a little bit more description about how that came about.

Anytime Buck management is proposed you'll see more sway towards archers then you will towards Firearms guys. That's because the best and easiest way to reduce Buck Harvest is to reduce Firearms Harvest.

5. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Were you not around for the last couple years, "they" even said xguns will be a fad and most will sell them and go to or back to a vertical bow....ya right, shovel that crap somewhere else

6. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Seriously? Would it be too difficult for hunter's still distinguish the huge difference of a male and female turkey??? Wow!

7. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Not difficult for me as I have encountered them. Not everyone knows how to distiguish so just regulating people not to do it does not guarantee that it wont happen, thats all I am saying. A lot of dumb people turkey hunt just like deer hunt.

20' likes this.
  8. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    You might be amazed at the level of skill hitting the woods each spring.

I guarantee you, there are guys who see a bearded bird walking through the woods and shoot thinking it's a tom. Like Rat said, making beared hens illegal can happen, but it probably won't stop them from being killed. I don't think that's an unreasonable comment to make. :wave1:

9. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Wow, why wouldn't they just shoot any hen? I mean if their too stupid to know a male from a hen

10. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Not only that, how many bearded hens are killed in the spring anyway? Enough to even worry about really? And probably way less of those could be attributed to crossbows vs shotguns anyway

11. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Poachers are going to poach,

12. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    They are used to looking for a beard, not necessarily a big red head.
    Again, regulating it away doesnt guarantee it wont happen is all I am saying.
    How do forkies and spikes get killed in AR counties? We know that happens also as it is in the harvest stats for all to see.

13. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Doesn't matter how many, that agh factory is over when killed

14. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Looks like 476 Bearded hens killed in 2015. Hardly enough to worry about. Wright county being the worst hit with 15 hens. Heck, yotes bobbies kill that many hens in each county each year and then some. :wave1:

15. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I could see a bearded hen mistaken for a gobbler much more likely than a spike mistaken for an 8 pointer but hunters still do it.

16. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Hunting heavily timbered areas, you see a bird creepin through the woods and a long beard hanging down, most guys are gonna be thinking Tom, and wack that sucker. :wave1:

17. bajabill

bajabill BDR529

Feb 16, 2012
    East Central MO
    I thought bearded hens went out of style with the girly magazine.

18. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Around 600 it appears.around 2% of the total spring kill.

19. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Most spikes are shot thinking its a doe is what Ive been told

20. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    That is still more incredibly dumb than killing a bearded turkey and thinking it was a tom. But lots of fork horns are killed too... mistakes happen with regs all the time. Making bearded hens illegal to shoot wont ensure that they dont get shot.