Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
SHED ON
5,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there is already a thread of Smithville hunt pics but this needs it's own place in history.

This story started three years ago. On a whim and because of the purpose behind Missouri whitetails I decide to invite a guy that I had no idea who he was to stay at my house with me and my family and offered my assistance to help him hunt the handicapped hunt. Little did I know by that one gesture that I would meet a man that would become a life long friend, and someone that I would go to the ends of the world for.

This year as with last year Tim was on the alternate list to hunt at Smithville. Then on Tuesday I got the call that he was in for the hunt and that we had drawn a new blind. I knew the area very well and have seen as many as 70+ does in this area in the evenings. I told him we won't have any trouble killing does, but I just don't ever see any bucks in there. We figured we would give it a go and if nothing else after killing our does we would try to move to a different blind.

We started Friday night by meeting with Jack Jr, Chairman, and, Sixkiller for supper. We had a very enjoyable time and after supper everyone scattered to there respective haunts to prepare for the mornings hunt.

After checking in at the hunt and the pre-hunt meeting we were off to our blinds. Foggy would not quite describe the mess we had to drive through around the lake. After the very slow go we made it our spot. Once settled into the blind we prepared out gear and waited for first light.

It did not take long and though the just pinking morning sky we spied a mature doe 80 yards away in the standing beans. She was very content with filling her belly before returning to her bed. While trying to get rested to take a shot at this doe Tim realized he was to low in his chair to use the shooting rail. After the doe made her way out of the field we were able to readjust and get Tim in prime shooting position. Man it was a great thing that doe came out and let us get that found out and corrected quickly.

Not 10 min later i believe I spot a ear or tail twitch in the cedars to our south. I can't quite make it out and go on. Tim and I start talking about how great our VECtor grunters are and how I pulled my buck in earlier this week on a string. Well Tim gives a quick grunt on his and I say heck my sounds much better than that and give a good grunt on mine. Well that is when this buck gave a peak out from around the cedar and scans the field for the source of the sound. Not seeing anything he melts back into the thicket. I give him two long aggressive grunts and hit the can call once. That is all it took and this brute hopped the fence in full stride and came looking for a fight. Little did he know he was fighting with a rifle and sure shot timmytaters. Two quick shots later and the biggest buck of Tim's life is lying dead in a cut bean field at 150 yards.

Needless to say Tim and I had the hunt of a life time this weekend after hunting our tails off on this hunt the last two years and having a couple of very close missed opportunities I can say that Tim really earned this well deserved buck.

I said many times and I will say it again, you know you are hunting with a true friend when you can watch him harvest a buck of this caliper and be more happy than if you would have shot it your self.

Tim once again thanks for a weekend full of memories and congrats on a super stud buck.

[file]80500[/file]
[file]80502[/file]
[file]80504[/file]
[file]80506[/file]

·
Registered
69,798 Posts
Great story Bill.....maybe next year I might be able to help you guys out with the hunt. I have to admit....I had a great big smile on my face just reading your post.

Congrats to both of you...team work pays off don't it?

:2thumbsup:

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
Way to go Tim! What a massive rack on that'n!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Tim congrats on a grate deer. Wish I would have been able to make it back up there to see it in person. Hope you had a safe drive home.

·
19,584 Posts
I heard the story at the hunt, but you really added some great perspective this time around! :cheers:

Congrat's on a great buck, Tim...I'm very happy for you! :woot:

Those pictures don't do that buck justice...just sayin'.

As for the guide & story-teller (AKA Billy)....
:2thumbsup:

I'll add more later. I just pulled into my driveway, about 2 hours ago...and I'm draggin' hiney.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
:eek: WOW! Congrats on a GREAT BUCK Mr. TATERS!

I'm sure glad to hear you guys had some great luck with the grunters! Really makes me feel good! :trophy:

Parker

·
Registered
69,798 Posts
[rquote=1482379&tid=103650&author=Parker]:eek: WOW! Congrats on a GREAT BUCK Mr. TATERS!

I'm sure glad to hear you guys had some great luck with the grunters! Really makes me feel good! :trophy:

Parker[/rquote]

The way I read all the threads.....I think Parker is feeling good about every day for the past few weeks.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
:stirpot: Taters, VG told me to tell you that you may have killed a bigger deer than her, but she's still gonna putting a Hillbilly Golf whoopin' on you the next time she sees you. :rof2:

Parker

·
Registered
11,815 Posts
I was fortunate enough to be a very small part of this event. We have a class act bunch of folks here.

Great deer Tater you deserve it.

:woot:

·
Registered
14,299 Posts
Congrats on a great deer.:cheers:

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
:cheers: Way to go guys!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
That whole story and the history that goes with it is not just what MWT is all about,,,,,,it is what hunting is all about.:2thumbsup:

Congratulations to both of ya.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Gotta love it!

:eek:: :eek:: :eek:: :eek::

Congrats!

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,045 Posts
That's a stud Timmy, congrats man. Great story about a great friendship formed. Billy, I've had the pleasure of making some of those same friendships here on MWT.:claphands::claphands::claphands:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts