the recipe for the homemade mineral?

Discussion in 'Whitetails General 2010' started by adamtinks, Jun 3, 2009.

1. adamtinks

adamtinks New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Mountain Home AR
    i was wondering if anyone remembered it or could repost for me, sorry for the inconvience, im going to freshen up my lick's tomorrow. thanks...

2. Passthru

Passthru Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Here is one i use, many folks have different angles but pretty much the same..prices may be different with this economy. and it works.

Whitetail Deer Homemade Mineral Recipe

Makes 200 lbs. for about $30.00

Ingredients:

1 part Di-calcium phosphate - This is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores. Comes in 50 lbs. bags at around $11.00. Buy 1 bag.
    2 parts Trace mineral salt - The red and loose kind without medications. Comes in 50 lbs. bags at around $7.00. Buy 2 bags.
    1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt, or rock salt - Comes in 50 lbs. bags at around $5.00. Buy 1 bag.

Directions:
    Use a 3 pound or similar size coffe can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.Mix all ingredients together well, but not until ready to use. Keep all ingredients separate until ready to put to use.
    Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 3 feet in diameter and 6 inches deep.Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:Replenish in 6 months with a fresh supply of mineral, then once each year after that.

3. CoHunter

CoHunter New Member

May 19, 2007
    Colorado
    how about this one

50 lb bag of granular stock salt

one box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda

Mix together in a 4 foot by 4 inch deep area close to a natural deer trail.

Refresh every 6 months with the same amount.

4. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    i use the same one as passthru...we likely got it from the same place at one time LOL

5. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    you can add just a little dried molasss to it in an unestablised location it has a good sweet smell and will attract the deer to help them find it.

6. buckwacker181

buckwacker181 # of bans record holder

Oct 9, 2006
    Catawussy
    I went to Bucheits to pick up some Dical only to find a 28 dollar price tag per bag! I'm trying Son of Mailmans recipe!

7. CoHunter

CoHunter New Member

May 19, 2007
    Colorado
    [rquote=1286253&tid=89961&author=buckwacker181]I went to Bucheits to pick up some Dical only to find a 28 dollar price tag per bag! I'm trying Son of Mailmans recipe![/rquote]

It is actually Parkers i do believe. But I will take the credit. :rof2:

8. adamtinks

adamtinks New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Mountain Home AR
  9. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    [rquote=1286255&tid=89961&author=Son of Mailman][rquote=1286253&tid=89961&author=buckwacker181]I went to Bucheits to pick up some Dical only to find a 28 dollar price tag per bag! I'm trying Son of Mailmans recipe![/rquote]

It is actually Parkers i do believe. But I will take the credit. :rof2:[/rquote]

but you look like fireman????

I am soooooo confused.:bored:

10. buckwacker181

buckwacker181 # of bans record holder

Oct 9, 2006
    Catawussy
    Trophy Rocks work great as well. perfect for setting up for trail cams:cheers:

11. TAB

TAB Active Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Southern Illinois
    [rquote=1286255&tid=89961&author=Son of Mailman][rquote=1286253&tid=89961&author=buckwacker181]I went to Bucheits to pick up some Dical only to find a 28 dollar price tag per bag! I'm trying Son of Mailmans recipe![/rquote]

It is actually Parkers i do believe. But I will take the credit. :rof2:[/rquote]

+1 for Parkers A&H! I had never had deer use salt on my place till I added A&H.:rock:

12. huntinmo

huntinmo Active Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Jefferson County
    Are you just wanting the deer to use the salt? I agree that the dical is too expensive, but isn't that supposedly used to help increase the size of the head gear?

13. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO

:rock: :2thumbsup: Good! You can take on Whitemarsh this fall! :rof2:

Update......I went by the first one of these old licks I made back in 1996 the other day. :rock: It looks awesome, and the deer are STILL hitting it! My buddy that was with me couldn't believe the size of it. I tried to get him to lay in the mud hole for a picture, but he wouldn't. :rof2:

Parker

14. Mecheng

Mecheng New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    STL/Macon Co
    Cost me $40 at MFA for the ingredients this year. :cheers: