Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
19,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
casey was kind enough to arrange through his butcher to get my 2 deer processed, the buther found MY slug in the buck, slug was 300grains when fired, weighs exactly 250 grains on recovery was a slightly quartering to shoot that clipped front left shoulder and liquified both lungs and liver

[file]44958[/file]

·
19,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
pic 2

[file]44959[/file]

·
19,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pic 3

[file]44960[/file]

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
46,798 Posts
Definately did it's job!

·
Registered
69,553 Posts
So....that's what they look like. I have yet to retrieve one from any of my deer. They have all gone completely through to who knows where.

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Is 83% good weight retention on a muzzleloader slug? Just curious...I have no idea.

·
19,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Hoytshooter
Is 83% good weight retention on a muzzleloader slug? Just curious...I have no idea.
id call it good, thats 83% after going through 1 shoulder @ 35yds, i have pictures of those yellow tipped things:D in 9 pieces on a similar hit

·
19,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Mailman
So....that's what they look like. I have yet to retrieve one from any of my deer. They have all gone completely through to who knows where.
yep the first slug on the first deer popped straight through, but still opened up good, that 1 went in like my pinky and was twice as big on the other side

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
It werkt. :) Have been using the same bullet in my Accura(s) but don't have any before/after to show you.

Have been wondering if the Speer Gold Dot 300s might be a better choice. Sabotloader likes 'em and has posted some pretty convincing evidence in their favor.

·
19,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Underclocked
It werkt. :) Have been using the same bullet in my Accura(s) but don't have any before/after to show you.

Have been wondering if the Speer Gold Dot 300s might be a better choice. Sabotloader likes 'em and has posted some pretty convincing evidence in their favor.
speer makes a great bullet in my opinion, im interested to see some of his evidence

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,206 Posts
I think that the range the shot is made at makes a big difference on how different bullets perform out of the ole smole poles. I have killed deer at 150 yards with the hornady bullets and the expansion almost didn't happen and the deer shot thru the lungs went over 150 yards before dropping. Those jacketed pistol bullets open great at the closer ranges when velocities are still up,,but don't open well after velocities fall off dramatically. Some of the other bullet types open at longer ranges and almost explode at closer ranges. I don't think there is a bullet that will perform flawlessly at all the different ranges in a gun that the velocities drop so fast like a smoke pole. I shoot the xtp's because they seem to do a decent job at most ranges and they are an affordable bullet that shoots well out of my guns.(.02)

:cheers::cheers:

·
19,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by henry
I think that the range the shot is made at makes a big difference on how different bullets perform out of the ole smole poles. I have killed deer at 150 yards with the hornady bullets and the expansion almost didn't happen and the deer shot thru the lungs went over 150 yards before dropping. Those jacketed pistol bullets open great at the closer ranges when velocities are still up,,but don't open well after velocities fall off dramatically. Some of the other bullet types open at longer ranges and almost explode at closer ranges. I don't think there is a bullet that will perform flawlessly at all the different ranges in a gun that the velocities drop so fast like a smoke pole. I shoot the xtp's because they seem to do a decent job at most ranges and they are an affordable bullet that shoots well out of my guns.(.02)

henry i killed 2 deer this year 1 at 35yds and 1 at 165yds lasered, 165yds was a pass thru but the slud DID open, entrance was like my pinky, exit was like 2 fingers big, so i am assuming it opend anyway, and that deer went maybe 50yds with a double lung hit

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,206 Posts
Originally posted by yankee
Originally posted by henry

henry i killed 2 deer this year 1 at 35yds and 1 at 165yds lasered, 165yds was a pass thru but the slud DID open, entrance was like my pinky, exit was like 2 fingers big, so i am assuming it opend anyway, and that deer went maybe 50yds with a double lung hit
It could be the difference between hitting a rib on impact or going between ribs on impact. I just don't think a guy can find a bullet that will expand alot at 800 fps and not blowup at 1800 fps. I think the xtps are about as mid range as you can get ,,but a guy should be prepared to look alittle harder for a deer shot at the longer yardages. I have shot quite afew different bullets,,but keep coming back to the xtp's. I also fell in love with the harvestor sabots this year,,combined with the xtp's.

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
I shoot those yellow tipped things and they are awesome!!!! Great trajectory and the deer don't go far after being hit. Great blood trails from good expansion. I have killed deer with them from 40-140 yards.

·
19,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Sidewinder
I shoot those yellow tipped things and they are awesome!!!! Great trajectory and the deer don't go far after being hit. Great blood trails from good expansion. I have killed deer with them from 40-140 yards.
im not saying do not use em, i have had some bad experiences with them fragmenting, and the recoverable weight when the peices were all weighed and added up was 1/4 of what was fired and the only bone hit was a rib bone, so im not a yellow tipped fan at all, xtp's have yet to fail me, on 9 different deer, actually im 9 for 10 on deer with em and the 1 was a clean miss and the farthest so far a deer has gone was approx 40yds, and that shot was 165 lasered yards, i'll stick with my hornadys:wave:

·
Registered
435 Posts
yankee

Kinda feel like an outsider jumping in here, but UC e-mailed me and asked that I most a pic of some expanded Gold Dots.

I have this one that I actually tried to tortue test them by shooting them into a saturated wet clay water bar at 100 yard. They really survived much better than I thought they might. I have done the same thing with Noslers and XTP's. The Noslers performed the best, followed bt the Speer's, and then the XTP's. On occasion the XTP would shed its copper jacket and the lead would go flying out some place - almost like it shattered. This test is really not representative of shooting a deer, but I am trhinking if you were to hit a major bone structure the bullet would actually be tested more.

I have kinda nick-named the Gold Dots ' a poorman's Nosler Partition' because they hold together so well...

I have sent UC a bunch of other pics if you were to want him to share them.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
You've covered it with that pic. I just replaced two you sent me with that one. :)

Why do you feel like an outsider? Dat aint rite!! :D

I like this one

[file]45468[/file]

·
19,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dats impressive sabotloader, i always wondered why folks who hunt with a bow test everything for ultimate performance even there broadheads, and when it comes to a gun, the mentality can be different with some folks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts