Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Horny D
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an old timer at work tonight tell me about back when they used to let you take a "camp deer". I had heard about this throwback policy, but never really asked anyone how it worked. What'd you old timers used to do, just take a doe or fawn or whatever as soon as you got to deer camp, and that was what you had for supper each night? Was there a tag involved or was it just something that was understood by the MDC?

Just curious how the process, if any, worked, and if anyone had any good "camp deer" stories to tell...:cheers:

[Edited on 12/5/2009 by Detrhoyt]

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I've heard stories about camp deer also....but from all I've heard they just poached the first thing they saw and no tag was ever involved. THAT has NEVER been OK in MO!

·
Registered
69,767 Posts
Early 70's we had a lease between 10 guys on 1500 acres down around Quincy Missouri. One of the guys strictly took does and would always drop one on opening morning and it wouldn't take the 10 of us long to consume the meat. Fresh from the bone is the best tasting IMO. Once it is frozen it looses something in the taste department. We were normally out by Tuesday.

And I might add....it was legally taken and a tag was used.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts