1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As good as their word
May 18, 2006
by Cam Edwards

The line in the sand has been drawn. Either you stand with the 2nd amendment or against it. And this time, there’ll be penalties for infringing on the rights of law abiding Americans.

The National Rifle Association is issuing a challenge to our nation’s mayors and police chiefs: sign a pledge that you will never take the guns from those you serve. The impetus for this is obviously the confiscation of firearms from residents of New Orleans in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. But there is a growing concern that mayors across the country are becoming the frontline soldiers in the latest fight for more gun control laws.

Wayne LaPierre, the Executive Vice-President of the NRA, says “When the Second Amendment is only as good as your mayor or your police chief says it is, the NRA must take action.†You can expect that big city mayors like New York’s Michael Bloomberg and Boston’s Thomas Menino will scoff at the NRA’s challenge.

What does it mean if they refuse to sign? Quite frankly, it means you know where they stand: against your 2nd amendment rights. But there will be other mayors who might find it politically expedient to put their name on the pledge, knowing full well they will disregard their promise if and when the time comes.

For those mayors, the NRA has a message: break your word and go to jail. The NRA’s chief lobbyist, Chris Cox, says the group will introduce legislation that makes it a criminal act to seize firearms from law abiding citizens. “If you’re in a position of public authority and you use it to forcibly disarm law-abiding citizens, you’re not going to get your hand slapped or pay a fine or get a good scolding from some judge in a few months down the line. You’re going to be arrested on the spot and you’re going to jail.â€

This week, in cities across the country, many mayors are holding anti-gun events organized by the Brady Campaign and other anti-gun groups. The language has changed, the message has become couched in phrases like “illegal gunsâ€. But at its heart, the goal is still the same: bans on firearms, restrictions on gun owners, and a full makeover of the 2nd amendment so it protects the “right to huntâ€.

As you listen to your mayor talk about the need to get illegal guns off the street, ask yourself if the mayor truly stands with the Constitution. Better yet, use your voice and ask the mayor yourself. After all, he can now put it in writing.

One quick note. You can hear the NRA leaders speak on this issue Saturday morning by logging on to www.nranews.com at 10 a.m. Eastern.

Cam Edwards is the host of “Cam and Company†on www.nranews.com and Sirius Satellite Radio. A veteran talk show host and political analyst, he blogs at www.camedwards.com in addition to his daily talk show. Cam lives in Northern Virginia with his wife and five children.

Copyright © 2006 Townhall.com

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
i saw that news story last night i was madder than a hornet i get really touchy about my guns way to go NRA

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
There are 295,734,134 residents of the U.S., according the the CIA. Let's say that 25% of them own a firearm of some sort. I'd say 1 in 4 own a gun, but that may be pushing it. This 25% makes 73,933,533 residents who own guns. Of those 25% I bet that 1 in 4 are of Hispanic background. Lets just remove the 18,483,383 illegal aliens that own guns and watch our problems "go south".

·
just a no body
15,618 Posts
I have a hard time trusting anyone who has a French last name..dont get me wrong I thinkwhat happened down there was wrong as he'll but wayy over reaction on the NRA's part.

IMO The NRA should be concentrating & spending the hard earned dues on something a bit more necessary..Frenchy needs to rile up the troops for membership $$ and this is the way to do it.

I wish ther were a bubba run Gun rights Organization

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BP:

How is it an over-reaction? Mayors are calling for action which violates 2nd Amendment, and the NRA is pushing Congrees to stop it, and make sure there's a consequence if they try it again.

·
just a no body
15,618 Posts
not all ..they are acting like this is a rampant class action brought on by every mayor of every metropolitan area.

this is an isolated action brought on by a Mayor & Chief of Police that runs a corrupt police force who's population are slighly more educated than pond scum. Everything that happened down there was a mockery of good judgement by people who were elected by 90% uneducted idiots that believe they need to be cared for by the government or else they will take it by force..To be truthfull I'd done the same thing . It was a situation out of control and guns in the hands of morons just adds to the Helter Skelter situation at the time. If a few innocent gun owners got caught in the mix..well tuff ..the needs of the many out way the wants of the few.

thats my stand and I'm through with this subject matter because it can get ugly..I wont convince you or any other person that believes like you ..same as you wont convince me. I'm not a domino theory believer

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
AMEN CENTERPUNCH

just takes letting it go one time and everyone thinks it's ok
I totally back the NRA getting riled up about it if they weren't i would be awful upset with them

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that info, CP. That's exactly the point. Gun control cannot be allowed even on a case by case basis. It's a slippery slope, and the anti-gun forces intentionally use the slippery slope to force their ideology to creep in to this society. We must be vigilant, as the right to keep and bear arms, along with the freedom of speech and the right to vote, is one of the few fragile protections we have against tyranny. Those rights and freedoms are under attack rigtht now by the left (Fairness Doctrine; opposition to electoral college and the requiring of voters to prove they are who they say they are; and the Brady Campaign), and unfotunately, our society is NOT too rational to produce a government who would take full advantage of the circumstances to repress the citizens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.