Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

The modern archers form

1K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  membergone 
#1 ·
I'd like to get everyones opinion about a few things I have been thinking about lately.
What are your personal thoughts regarding "good" or "proper" form when shooting the modern compound bow?

Grip?
Release" (not which release aid, just your thought about letting the arrow go)
Anchor point?
Stance?
Pre-shot routine?
Tips on distance estimation?
Anything I'm missing?

These are loaded questions and everyones response is gonna be different which is ok. I have my own opinions.. just curious about yours!

#4 ·
Grip? What works for you. What is popular today isn't neccesarily right. My grip is kinda unorthodox (high wrist) but it was the ONLY way to hold a bow 25-30 years ago. There's quite a bunch of Olympic archers that could dispute what is popular today. Bottom line. What works for you is right.

Release" (not which release aid, just your thought about letting the arrow go) I don't think about letting go.

Anchor point?Anchor point is a function of proper draw length and will vary person to person. You gots your draw lenght screwed up, you can't anchor right.

Stance?Shoulder width, just a little bit opened up toward the target.

Pre-shot routine?You gotta have one. Different for everyone.

Tips on distance estimation? Can't tell my secrets. If I did there would be lots of people shooting over the top of a 21 yard foam deer target. (Some of you will get that.) Or shooting the foot on a 47 yard lynx.

Anything I'm missing? Aiming. It's all about aiming. ANd you don't HAVE to do everything right. You just have to do it EXACTLY the same every time. It's very simple.

#5 ·
And.. away we go!
Thanks DSG.
MM.. you aint shooting against ANYONE but yourself this sunday.

I think I am gonna watch you like a hawk! Make you nervous, see. lol

edit: I just thought of something.. we will ALL be skeered when we see R2ahunter and his quiver of 15+ arrows... lol

:smiley:

#6 ·
I use a loose grip on my bow with the fingers still wrapped aroung the handle but very loose. All the presure is on the fork of my thumb and index finger but still slight pressure on the base meat of my thumb. I would compare my release to my squeezing of the trigger of my target rifle.... a slow steady squeeze and it goes off unexpectedly. I put my knuckle of my thumb on the corner of my jawbone with the fletching (vane) touching the corner of my mouth. My stance is both feet inline with the target with the toes pointing about 2:00 o'clock but my shoulders are slightly opened towards the target. (that one is hard to exlpain) My pre-shot routine is to get my stance just right with everything in balance even on unlevel terrain. Make a calculated guess of the distance to your target. Make sure my release is on securely and my arrow is in the correct position on the string and rest. Draw back using both arms. Find my anchor, line up my peep with the correct sight pin and target. I've found the smaller the target spot I choose the better I'll shoot. Then let out about half the air in my lungs and concentrate on the pin on the target and squeezing the trigger. It will go off by it's self with steady pressure. Estimating distance just takes practice and premeasured targets. I walk through the range and most have yardage markers on each target. I'll just walk up towards the target and stop without looking at the markers and guess the distance. Then I find the closest marker to see how close I came with my guess. Make sure after you pull your arrow from the target to check the practice tip for tightness and all of your vanes are in good shape. Of course everything that is stated above can change drastically with one individual to the next.

#7 ·
Grip: I try to keep the v of my thumb and index finger in the middle of my arm. This will keep my arm and wrist in the same position everytime. I try and relax the tips of my fingers, so there is no tension in them.

Release: I have about six different releases that I practice with so I don't punch the shot. I have heavy, light, really light, and straight back tension that I use. I recommend anyone interested in target archery to work with a back tension release. It makes you use your big muscles and trains you the proper way.

Anchor Point: Ditto what DSG said. I see too many people trying to stretch their draw length for speed, when that is the worst thing to do. With todays equipment, you don't need to do this.

Stance: I put my front foot at a 45 degree and my back foot square in an athletic stance. I put my weight on my front foot shooting downhill, on my back foot downhill, and evenly distributed on even ground. It is very important not to try and defy gravity, just like golf shots. IMHO relaxed balanced is the key to a good stance.

Pre-Shot Routine: Just like a free throw routine, I think you need a pre-shot routine. Whatever you have confidence in is what you need to do. I use a power word that I say to myself several times during my draw, hold, and release. My word changes sometimes with my results. I think it is important to keep you away from negative thoughts or analysis paralysis. If you do your practice you shouldn't need to think about it. I wish I could do this when I play golf.

Tips on Distance Estimation: I use three different methods on tough yardages and I try to do them when others are shooting, so I don't take up so much time. I know how far 20 yards is from shooting it sooo much, so my first method is to guess something at 20 yards and then add five all the way to the target. The next thing I do is try to pick something half way and double it. The last thing I do is just look at it and guess. If I have shot the target enough, I can usually get really close without doing the other two. The first ASA shoot I shot in Metropolis, Ill. that used Rhineharts threw this out the window. I hadn't ever practiced on them so it was pretty tough. I had to stop looking at them and guessing and just trusted my other two and it seemed to work.

Anything I am Missing: I know I have been kind of long winded in my responses, but I have two other tips that could help people better their scores or shooting in general. Tip #1 is to get 10 yards from your target, draw your bow, center your pin, close your eyes, release your arrow, and let your bow roll forward. This relaxes your bow hand, which is the bane of most peoples accuracy. Make sure you have a wrist sling for this or a loop on your thumb and index finger. You don't want to drop your $700 investment. I try to do this five times before I start practicing. If I start shooting poorly, I do it again and it always seems to help. Tip #2 is to let your pin float on the definitive spot you have picked out. I used to try and hold my pin on my target and this caused tension. Tension and accuracy don't go together, so try to eliminate any form of it.

#8 ·
Originally posted by DShootnstGentemn
Grip? ANd you don't HAVE to do everything right. You just have to do it EXACTLY the same every time. It's very simple.
SIMPLE? Did DSG just say SIMPLE?

geesh! :hysterical:

#9 ·
edit: I just thought of something.. we will ALL be skeered when we see R2ahunter and his quiver of 15+ arrows... lol

:smiley: [/quote]

I just keep the extras to take accurate shots at smart:moon: or little varmits like RATS:hysterical:

Oh I do lose a few as well.

#11 ·
Originally posted by r2ahunter

:smiley:
I just keep the extras to take accurate shots at smart:moon: or little varmits like RATS:hysterical:

Oh I do lose a few as well. [/quote]

Just kiddin there bro..

I bout cracked up the first time we shot one of these things..
Course, I laughed a LOT that day.. mostly at myself.:cheers:

Landlover... I drew a couple of analogies to golf when I considered this topic myself..
Good advice there bud.

#12 ·
Rat this wont help you at all i dont think, but it does make me think about what i do in fact do.

Grip?...loose hand, with only thumb and fore finger wrapped around.

Release" (not which release aid, just your thought about letting the arrow go), i try to squeeze the pencil between my shoulder blade in the center on my back...i place my finger on the trigger, and then "pull the trigger with my shoulders and back" make sense?

Anchor point? i dont really have one, i just be sure the back of my hand is on my cheek bone down to my chin..sort of.

Stance? i try to keep my legs the same direction as i am shooting if possible, shoulder width apart.

Pre-shot routine?draw, settle in, release..i guess.

Tips on distance estimation?my set up allows me to use one pin from 5 to 22 yards about..so i try not to shoot farther than that.

Anything I'm missing?not that i can think of yet.

#13 ·
Originally posted by Landlover
I used to try and hold my pin on my target and this caused tension. Tension and accuracy don't go together, so try to eliminate any form of it.
letting the pin float, instead of trying to force it to stay exactly on the spot you want to hit, is probably one of the hardest things to do. but it makes a world of difference.

#14 ·
You guys talking about letting your pins float. The only way you can hold it completely still is put the bow in a vise. Having said that............

If you are watching your pin float around you are focusing on the wrong thing. You are not trying to hit your pin. You are trying to hit the target. Tell me, how are you gonna hit what you aren't looking at? It's nuts ain't it?

If you are totally focused on a definitive spot on the target your aim will follow your point of focus. You just gotta trust yourself enough to believe that is true.

No charge for the advice. ;)

#15 ·
DSG

I do pick a definitive spot and my pin floats in that spot. I was rather long winded in my post and for some reason left it out or assumed everyone picked a spot. Everyone knows you should never assume, so thanks for pointing out my inadequacies in my post.

I also thought of something else that help my shooting out and that was matching my peep to my sight housing. I learned this while shooting a scope for the first time and think it has really improved my shooting. I install the peep were you can change apertures in all of my bows, so I can match the sight or scope to the peep. I think too many people try to center the pin they are shooting in the middle of the peep. If they would center the whole housing, they would get the same sight picture everytime, leading to improved shooting.

Thanks for the free advice! I really wouldn't have expected to pay for it.

#16 ·
Originally posted by DShootnstGentemn
Grip? What works for you. What is popular today isn't neccesarily right. My grip is kinda unorthodox (high wrist) but it was the ONLY way to hold a bow 25-30 years ago. There's quite a bunch of Olympic archers that could dispute what is popular today. Bottom line. What works for you is right.

Release" (not which release aid, just your thought about letting the arrow go) I don't think about letting go.

Anchor point?Anchor point is a function of proper draw length and will vary person to person. You gots your draw lenght screwed up, you can't anchor right.

Stance?Shoulder width, just a little bit opened up toward the target.

Pre-shot routine?You gotta have one. Different for everyone.

Tips on distance estimation? Can't tell my secrets. If I did there would be lots of people shooting over the top of a 21 yard foam deer target. (Some of you will get that.) Or shooting the foot on a 47 yard lynx.

Anything I'm missing? Aiming. It's all about aiming. ANd you don't HAVE to do everything right. You just have to do it EXACTLY the same every time. It's very simple.
What he said! I have learned one thing and that is: When I shot good it felt good.

#17 ·
Originally posted by Landlover
DSG

I do pick a definitive spot and my pin floats in that spot. I was rather long winded in my post and for some reason left it out or assumed everyone picked a spot. Everyone knows you should never assume, so thanks for pointing out my inadequacies in my post.
Don't try to make it sound like we are saying the same thing Landlover.........because we ain't! Not even close.

If your pin is floating around inside a spot, your "definitive" spot is too big. The spot I'm talking about, your pin passes over it occasionally. Sabby?

By the way, what are YOUR instruction rates?

#18 ·
DSG

I know you like to argue and are rather good at it. You get a lot of practice and seem to have a lot more free time than others to practice your skills. However, I respectfully decline to getting in a pi**ing match with you over your opinion or mine. You are obviously never wrong in your mind and no one will ever change that.

I was merely posting my opinions and because it is different from yours doesn't mean yours is right and mine is wrong.

MY instructions, advice, or personal thoughts are free and I only give them when asked. I like to help others as others have helped me and don't expect them to pay for it. How much do you charge for your services, since you asked me about mine?

#19 ·
This ain't no P!ssin match Landlover no matter how hard you are trying to make it one. I actually have no idea what your problem is and don't care.

Read the posts, it's right there for all to see. I've stayed on topic and made some pretty valid points. And I don't believe I have attacked you or your opinion either.

Now, if you wanna discuss the differences in our "theories" by all means, let's do it. Otherwise, next.

My fees vary. I can give you references if you wish before we discuss fees.

#20 ·
Originally posted by rat

Grip?
Release" (not which release aid, just your thought about letting the arrow go)
Anchor point?
Stance?
Pre-shot routine?
Tips on distance estimation?
Anything I'm missing?

I have my own opinions.. just curious about yours!
Grip,,,,,,,,,,,I hold on for dear life.

Release,,,,,,,,,,,normally prematurely

anchor point,,,,,,,,,,,it varies from shot to shot

Stance,,,,,,depends on what shoes I'm wearing

Pre shot routine,,,,,,,,,,I go thru my list of excuses for missing.

Tips on distance estimation,,,,,,,,,,,,it's always to dang far

Anything I'm missing,,,,,,,,,,,,,if your like me your missing almost everything your shooting at.:rotfl:

(thought i'd try and lighten the mood abit)

:cheers::cheers:

#21 ·
DSG

I like how you try to turn it into my problem, when it is all plain to see right in YOUR posts. You say, "Your not trying to hit your pins", "It's nuts ain't it", or how about the "Sabby"?

I think you may not have actually been trying to make me out to be an idiot on purpose. I can usually do that well enough on my own. However, if someone would have taken that tone with you, you would have probably taken it the same way.

I won't be asking for any of your refereces or paying any of your varying fees. I really don't know where the whole fee thing came from either, other than you just trying to toot your own horn. You are quite good at the tooting of your horn. You should give lessons at that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.