The end to kansas's 2009 season

Discussion in 'Turkey Photo Gallery' started by henry, May 31, 2009.

1. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Today was the last day for the 2009 Kansas spring turkey season. I decided to brave the bugs and heat and give it a last horrah. I have had some excellent hunts in the past on the last weekend of the Kansas season so why not. I drove out yesterday afternoon for an evening hunt and some scouting. I spotted a mature gobbler loafing in the shade with some hens,,but only after they had me spotted as well. I moved to my intended setup about 6:00 in the evening and had dekes set and was ready by 6:30. I fed the skeeters and ticks thru my wet from sweat clothes, but still had an eventful evening. I had 6 different hens respond to my calls and come into my setup. One had about a 4 or 5 inch beard and didn't know how bad she was tempting fate the way the skeeters were chewing on me. No gobblers showed up so I went to the truck alittle before dark and ate and went to sleep. I just slept in the truck with the window down and the AC on high. This morning I moved to the smaller farm where I had seen the gobbler the afternoon before. We have always seen turkeys on this place, but it is small with very little timber so we had never setup for a morning hunt on it. I was setup at 5:15 AM . I put out 3 dekes and used the chairblind Patrick got me for my birthday because there was little cover on the side of the field I chose to setup on. The gobbler started gobbling about 5:30 and was on my side of the field in a tiny clump of cottonwoods. I had figured he would be across from me in a much larger patch of whiteoaks. When full light arrived I gave some soft yelps and he hammered back. It was a classic hunt with him showing up in the field 200 yrds down and strutting and gobbling all the way to his demise. I dropped him at around 6:00 AM and was soon headed home. Now I gotta wait almost another full year to chase the spring birds again.

:cheers::cheers:

[file]59110[/file]

2. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Attaboy henry. Good finish to your season. :claphands: :cheers:

3. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    way to go henry!

4. Bowhunter4life

Bowhunter4life New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    Kansas is it man. Congrats henry

5. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    Congrats Henry

6. dookie

dookie New Member

Nov 27, 2004
    imperial,mo
    Congrats Henry on a great bird!!!!!!:cheers:
    :2thumbsup:

7. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    :claphands::claphands::claphands:

8. CLIFFHANGER

CLIFFHANGER Active Member

Great Stuff Henry And a wonderful end to a great season Congrats :woot:

9. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd Active Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    Very nice henry!:claphands::claphands::claphands:

10. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

[rquote=1281490&tid=89662&author=marshallgrn]:claphands::claphands::claphands:[/rquote]

Love your avatar,,its great of you to post a pic of a old man in your avatar:2thumbsup:

:cheers::cheers:

11. Kickers288

Kickers288 Active Member

:claphands::claphands::cheers::cheers:

12. 76_michael

76_michael Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Lincoln Co.
    :claphands: Nice finish to the season

13. lma

lma Active Member

Congrats, henry! :cheers: But I just don't think it's right shooting them in a chair!:peepwall:

14. deadeye5

deadeye5 Active Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Kcmo
    way to finish out the year:claphands:

15. SHEDHEAD

SHEDHEAD Active Member

Feb 15, 2008
    [rquote=1281737&tid=89662&author=lma]Congrats, henry! :cheers: But I just don't think it's right shooting them in a chair!:peepwall:[/rquote]

:rof2::rof2:

Way to be Henry for braving the elements!

The bugs and the heat is alot worse than cold and wet.IMO

CONGRATS!

16. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    awesome story, the MO season seems like it ended 5 months ago. Way to stay with it!:cheers:

17. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Nothing sweeter than finishing it in the bottom of the ninth, congrats on a nice KS bird :cheers:

18. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Way to finish out henry! :cheers:

19. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    Nice job....

I forgot to tell you after I forwarded your text to Inhuntress she wanted me to tell you that you suck!

:D