Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Mountain lion hunter
28,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was excited to pick up my new rifle at the shop Wednesday afternoon.I opened the case and it was a ear to ear smile.

http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=103050

Today I made it to the range with 4 load to try

1. 120 gr Nosler Ballistic tip handload that I recieved with the rifle
2. 140 gr Federal Fusions
3. 150 gr Federal/speer hot core sp
4. 140 gr prvi partizan sp

I mounted a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x40 scoped with the varmint reticle.I boresighted the gun at home but not too well:hysterical:
The wind was approx 5mph
First shot was 13'' high and 9'' right. I adjusted and resulted in 2.5'' straight left. The third was in the 1'' black circle.
I fallowed with 2 more shots with the handloads and none left the 1'' dot:2thumbsup:
The gun is everything I hoped for and finished out at 8.12lb with the scope
I am not a super shooter but the gun sure did its part.
The fallowing pics show the gun and the loads I shot.The scope was never adjusted after the 3rd round hit the 1'' dot.The 120's was dead on and the rest went right a touch

[file]81509[/file]

[file]81511[/file]

[file]81513[/file]

[file]81515[/file]

[file]81517[/file]

The 120 gr handloads

[file]81533[/file]

The 140gr Fusions

[file]81521[/file]

The 150 gr hot core

[file]81523[/file]

The 140 gr prvi partizan

[file]81525[/file]

·
Baller, shot caller
11,063 Posts
Looks pretty dang sweet, Rob. I think that will get the job done. Do me a favor and try some 139grn Hornady SSTs that Hornady loads. They do just a shade under an inch out of my Savage Model 14. I would expect yours might like 'em too.

·
Mountain lion hunter
28,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will give them a try.I just got a box of everything Grafs had to play around with testing.
I am gonna try several other and I will add the Hornady 139's:cheers:

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Looking good there Rob!!!! I would say that the previous owner did a little testing on those Noslers.

Nice choice in scope BTW. Now you'll have to get out there a ways and see how all the different "hashes" work out. :eek::

·
Mountain lion hunter
28,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[rquote=1489808&tid=104073&author=Heeler75]Looking good there Rob!!!! I would say that the previous owner did a little testing on those Noslers.

Nice choice in scope BTW. Now you'll have to get out there a ways and see how all the different "hashes" work out. :eek::[/rquote]

Yeah I got a portable bench and this winter on a calm day I will setup in the river bottom.
It should be a good time.It was just too windy so we went to the MDC 100 yard range today

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Don't blame ya there.

One thing about shooting when it's cold. You don't have to worry about waiting for the barrel to cool. :D

·
Baller, shot caller
11,063 Posts
My little cheapy Savage will do MOA out to 3hundy with those SSTs. Rob, I'd say if yours won't do that, I'll just go ahead and trade ya even since apparently, you can't shoot and that fancy rifle is wasted on you.

:hysterical:

·
Mountain lion hunter
28,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
moa at 300 ain't bad I guess if ya wasn't using a bench :)

It's better to cover them with a dime LOL

Seems everyone but me can do it......:bored:

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Nice rig I would hand load for it

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
46.o gr imr 4350 140 nosler accubond h414 45.0 gr 140 gr. sierra gk both of these loads work great but im gettn .45 and under from the accubonds the gamekings usually shoot.75 at 100 out of a savage

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts

·
Mountain lion hunter
28,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[rquote=1492248&tid=104073&author=macon county boy]jus curious why you gonna shoot a partition going to africa[/rquote]

Wanted to try some. If I would use it elk hunting would be my only reason for the partition:cheers:

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
the accubonds work great on elk and moose too ive found out they group better than the partitions and ball. tips i know of guys using accubonds on african game as well

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Now that is a SWEET! looking gun.....Look out yotes!

·
8,811 Posts
Nice shootin Tex. Pickin up the 7_08 barrel for the Encore tonight.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts