Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second week of the season turned out just about like I figured. The breeding was winding down and that, combined with all of the other hunters out there, they are getting pretty lockjawed. Monday, I had a tom that would just courtesy gobble a time or two to me but that was about it. He and I danced back and forth along both sides of a ridge but I never saw him or spooked him. Tuesday I heard him a little further down the ridge but it was the same game so I gave up on him for the day and spent the rest of the day covering about 10miles of roads and trails via truck and foot trying to find a willing tom but there were none to be had. This morning, I heard him further down the ridge again. Instead of dancing the dance with him again, I decided to put out a couple of dekes in a prescribed burn and softly blind call every now and then. After 3 hours, my butt couldnt take it anymore so I checked out another trail I wanted to see and then settled back in on the burn but at the top of the ridge this time. About an hour later I heard the ole boy gobble about 60yds out. I got situated for what I knew would be a long showdown but I had no idea how long it would be. After his gobble, I waited about 10-15min before I decided to give him a few last clucks over my shoulder and then no more, it would be up to him to decide to come and look for me. It was 30min before he even let me see him. He would gobble every time I would scratch what little leaves that were left in the burn. Somehow he just knew what the lethal range of my gun was and strutted back and forth just outside of my range slowly making a semi circle all the way behind me. He did this for over an hour trying to get me, the hen to come to him or at least show myself. When he finally all but gave up on me, and me on him too, he started to drift off so I hit him with a few soft yelps again. He couldnt take it anymore and finally came back and stepped into what I thought was my range and I let him have it. Now after over and hour and a half of this readjusting myself, my right leg was on a rock and had fallen asleep. Somehow, after the shot, I managed to get up and start hobbling his way in case a followup shot was needed. I guess I was running on adrenaline because when I got to him, I had to kneel back down before I fell down. He's a pretty good bird at 24lbs with an 11 inch beard and 1 1/4 inch hooks on him. I think he's been around awhile. Well, that's bird number 2 for me so I'm done.

·
Under appreciated
91,796 Posts
Thats a great description of your hunt bp! Thanks for sharing and thanks in advance for sharing the pics! :cheers:

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Putting in the extra work always pays off. This season has been a challenge because of MANY factors and you've got a couple nice rewards to show for it. Congrats on #2....

Man, if it were easy, these stories wouldn't be worth reading.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. I suck at the picture thing. The wife took some pics on her digital camera so I'll try to get her to put some of them on the computer for me. She took the camera to Wal Mart and printed off the pictures of my first bird so I'd have to get her to scan them to get them back into digital format.

·
Under appreciated
91,796 Posts
BP... dont rush the pics.. it'll be nice to see'em when its possible.

BTW.. dont know about anyone else, but I am quickly considering you ONE of the apex predators on this site. I always enjoy your insight, tactics, ethics and sometimes controversial hypotheticals.. cheers bud!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by rat
BP... dont rush the pics.. it'll be nice to see'em when its possible.

BTW.. dont know about anyone else, but I am quickly considering you ONE of the apex predators on this site. I always enjoy your insight, tactics, ethics and sometimes controversial hypotheticals.. cheers bud!
Wow, thanks! No one's ever said that about me. I aint kiddin when I say that I'm not that great of a hunter. I'm just a persistent blind squirrel who finds a nut now and then because I spend as much time in the woods as I can. I'm a party pooper at deer camps and such because everyone else wants to drink a few and play cards half the night and all I want to do is check my gear and get to bed so I can get up ready to go.

:cheers:

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
bowpreditor when i went and looked up the word patience it had a picture of you. nice job, i am jumping at the bit as i haven't gotten out for myself yet and may only get out one day at that. lots of things have happened against me this spring and i have to just remind myself i have had lots of oportunities before so this year is my turn to be dumped on. :soapbox:
hey i got out the time i needed to, back on the youth hunt !:smiley:

·
5,632 Posts
Great bird BP! Congrats!

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
BP, enjoyed your hunt story very much!! Congratulations on your second bird and persistence, perserverance and patience in getting this bird. Like you I am also a party pooper at most hunt camps. I need my beauty sleep or I ain't worth a hoot the next day.

Jack:cheers::cheers::cheers:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.