Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new and this has most likely already been discussed more than once but what are your first picks? I am a big fan of the 270 but my current combo is my favorite, Browning BAR in 7mm Rem. Mag with the BOSS. I topped it with a Zeiss scope which I was not that impressed with over the Redfield I had always used on my 270's.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hunted with a 700 for years. They are a great gun but didn't work very good for my condition. :)
I am right handed and do everything right handed except for shooting a rifle. Going with a left handed 700 wasn't something I felt good about since I am really right handed and working the bolt left handed felt awkward.

·
Former Chicken Man
20,350 Posts
.270 is my favorite deer hunting caliber, and I've killed several with a Remington 700, the one with the floorplate. ADL, BDL? It was a borrowed rifle though.
What I actually have is a Ruger 77 in 7mm mag, with a 3x9 Redfield Widefield. (Redfield Widefield scopes are my favorite. I also have 4x on my .22 and a 2x7 on my 22-250).

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I love my .270. Handles nice, and man is it accurate. It's a perfect round. With that said, I am looking to expand my collection of large calibers to a 30-06 this year. Just something else for the cabinet :dancin::dancin:

I can't talk to the best rifle. My .270 is a Remington 710. Some call that rifle disposable. I love it though. All around though, I am partial to bolt actions...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by beanpile
Originally posted by Sparky
my current combo is my favorite, Browning BAR in 7mm Rem. Mag with the BOSS. I topped it with a Zeiss scope
boy I bet that combo cost the BIG $$$:eek:
It was the gun I always wanted and your right but I would have never bought it myself.
I had a supplier that one of his ways of getting me to switch to his company was rather than me going on the company trip they would buy me a new gun every year with my coop money. They take 1% of your sales every year and put it into an account for the trip and you are able to save up to two years in this account. It was a good deal and I ended up with I think 6 guns before I switched to another company.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Savage 110 in 30-06...Dad put a BSA glass on it, it hasn't failed me yet...it loves a 165bt over 50gr of Varget...I have not had a deer take more than 20 yds of run after feeling that thunderbolt hit home.

·
just a no body
15,607 Posts
my current combo is my favorite, Browning BAR in 7mm Rem. Mag with the BOSS. I topped it with a Zeiss scope
It was the gun I always wanted and your right but I would have never bought it myself.
I had a supplier that one of his ways of getting me to switch to his company was rather than me going on the company trip they would buy me a new gun every year with my coop money. They take 1% of your sales every year and put it into an account for the trip and you are able to save up to two years in this account. It was a good deal and I ended up with I think 6 guns before I switched to another company.
Ok ..I got to ask what kinda guns did you get?? Sounds like a heck of a deal ya had going on. I think I'd commence selling some of them in order to try to save some of that Macon county land..Guns come & go but you'll probably never find that type of good huntn land again. or maybe you could lease out some of the huntn:wave: to help keep it, Me & my girlfriend hunt family land just out side of Moberly but there's just wayyyyyyyy too many huntin that 160 acres & we love killn does & wont shoot bucks unless they'r going on the wall or at least should go on the wall..just a thought

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I really like my 300 WSM. I bought one when they came out because the caliber seemed to have superior ballistics. Every deer I've shot with it has gone down fast. Believe it or not, the recoil is pretty mild.

That being said, a .270 or 30-06 is what I'd recommend if someone was asking, as the ballistics are more than enough for ANY situation in Missouri, and most hunting in the US. Furthermore, ammo is readliy available and less expensive than the WSM.

As for the gun itself, I like the way my Savage 116 left handed bolt action shoots. I bought it because Savage was the only company I could find that would make me a left handed 300 WSM without charging me an astronomical sum. It's not the prettiest rifle, but I don't care about that.

That being said, if I had to recommend a style for deer hunting in Missouri, I'd probably suggest a Remington 7600 pump. I buy bolt actions because I've heard that that action is more consistently accurate. However, in reality, I'm not trying to kill whitetail in Missouri beyond 150, maybe 200 yards, and I doub that the bolt action has that much over a pump at that distance and closer.

Therefore, I'd suggest a Remington pump in either the 270 or 30-06.

But I don't have 270, 30-06, or a 7600, and at this point, don't plan to buy one. So how's that for logic?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok ..I got to ask what kinda guns did you get?? Sounds like a heck of a deal ya had going on. I think I'd commence selling some of them in order to try to save some of that Macon county land..Guns come & go but you'll probably never find that type of good huntn land again. or maybe you could lease out some of the huntn:wave: to help keep it, Me & my girlfriend hunt family land just out side of Moberly but there's just wayyyyyyyy too many huntin that 160 acres & we love killn does & wont shoot bucks unless they'r going on the wall or at least should go on the wall..just a thought
Knight 54 cal.
Rem 7400 in a 270
2 Rem 700 in 243
3 Ruger 1022 but I had to pay part of it
And then the BAR

Selling a few guns would not go very far on building the new house I have promised my wife for years:) We now have 4 kids and live in an older farm house with 3 bedrooms. I will still have some ground here but its crop ground with a few draws in it. I farm so it just makes more sense to sell the acres with the least amount of crop ground and most timber.

·
Under appreciated
92,110 Posts
buck\'05

I think that too much is contemplated about caliber rather than
loads. .270, 30-06, 300mag whatever...
All are fine for mo whitetails but folks saying that "I've used such-n-such and
never had any deer run more that 20yds" or whatever are forgetting
how important shot placement is.
I'm a big big fan of the 7mm mag for whitetails and beyond. I've been
shooting this cartridge for 5 yrs now and killed deer every yr with it.
I've shot does that lay down on the spot and I've shot deer that run for 100yds after a good boiler-room shot.
I do not shoot deer in the shoulder if I can help it, but any of the above
mentioned calibers will immobilize deer if you break their shoulder.. period.
Look.. I shot a big bodied buck last fall with 7mag 140gr nosler partition and it ran bout 80 yds.
Good shot, ever so slightly quartering to me.. bullet passed just beyond the shoulder, cleaved the heart and I found the bullet under the hide
on the opposite side, pic attached.
That deer absorbed all 2853 ft #'s of that shot and still ran away, dead on its feet.
7mag , at 162 BTSP holds just over 2000 ft#'s at 400 yds, making it a great elk cartridge also.
I like the 7mag :)

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
7mm are very good rounds...I posted the load because it is a very uncommon load for the 30-06. Varget powder is known for accuracy in the 308 benchrest crowd. I stumbled upon this load due to the vast amount of powder that I have of Varget...crony'd the load and it is over 2700fps and carries close to that in ft/lb's of force...enuf of that stuff....My buck last year took the pellet at under 80yds in the boiler room, puddled the vitals and never exited the other side...this round completely delivers it's load! The tougher bullets are not needed on the thin skinned whitetail.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Well... I have always liked the options my 30/06 offer to me. :sniper:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Well, here's my $.02. I don't think there is one gun ideal for all situations. I use a scoped 30-06 for stand hunting, and a 30-30 with a peepsite for walking the brush. My recommendation is to not spend all your money on one really expensive gun, buy a couple of cheaper guns (used?) for various conditions. My next gun will be something with a little smaller caliber than the 30-06, stainless steel barrel, and a synthetic stock for rainy days. I have spent a more than a few days in the rain.

·
Under appreciated
92,110 Posts
Someone please tell me again why the 30-30 is considered a brush gun...

Can you shoot it through brush and trees at deer?? And should you??

·
5,632 Posts
Originally posted by rat
Someone please tell me again why the 30-30 is considered a brush gun...

Can you shoot it through brush and trees at deer?? And should you??
In my opinion, "brush gun" refers to it's short length and its quick loss of ft lbs of energy at longer distances. It's a great gun to hunt in thicker areas because..

1) If you're stalking or "still hunting" it's short and can be shouldered FAST.

2) You don't need a gun that shoots 1000 yds, most of the time you just need one that will get the job done at 100 or less.

Again, JMHO.

·
Under appreciated
92,110 Posts
Good pt. jmac..

I just think that that round gets the reputation that it will shoot through
brush better than others..

Several other calibers are available in carbine models that are quick and easy to
shoulder also.

Marlin and winchester are not the only gun manufacturers, ya know..

Also.. anybody that is thinking 1000 yds... gosh... thats a long poke!

·
5,632 Posts
Well, the 1000 yd reference was alittle bit of an exaggeration (although snipers do it all the time).

Marlin and Winchester are not the only manufacturers that make a .30-30 either.

But I get your point that there are other calibers with similar specs to the .30-30. I just think that a whole lot of us grew up on Marlin and Winchester lever action rifles. They're near to our hearts.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.