Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing nothing but squirrels for a couple consecutive deer hunts, I caved and let one of my boys bring his BB gun along. I'd been rejecting the plea over and over because we didn't have any pellets. Finally I broke down and decided he could take a shot IF one came within 10 yards. Early in the hunt a squirrel presented itself just inside that distance. Chase took the shot and the squirrel retreated behind the trunk of the tree it was in. Chase hurried to reload the BB gun when I noticed the squirrel dangling from a small branch by one of its hind legs. After about 10 seconds it couldn't hold on any longer and fell to the ground. I was stunned. I didn't think a BB would penetrate enough to kill one of those suckers. Excited about having squirrel legs for dinner, we got back into deer hunting mode. An hour later that squirrel we thought was dead got up and ran away. It got up on a fallen tree and just sat there, almost curled up in a ball. It didn't look well. We watched him teeter like a weeble wabble for 30 minutes and then decided Chase would need to try shooting him again. This time I got the video camera up and filmed the shot. The little boogar was about 17 yards away and seemed to just absorb the shots like a prize fighter takes a body blow. The video I've attached is the 3rd connecting shot that Chase had. If you look closely you can see patches of hair that were disturbed by a previous shot. You can also see this BB hit the hide and fall to the ground. Finally Chase snuck up to about 10 yards and shot this guy one last time. It jumped off its perch and ran about 15 yards. Chase pushed it further and it disappeared into a hole in a dead tree trunk. We went back a few hours later with a chain saw. Nothing but mice came out of that tree trunk. :shrug: Tough squirrel. I guess I was right after all about the BB and penetration.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
[rquote=1517731&tid=105820&author=archer66]Scott....go buy some pellets!!!! [/rquote]

You bet............

·
Under appreciated
91,782 Posts
What kind of a bb gun is he shooting?

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
Pound for pound, I'll bet a squirrel is tougher than a badger. They don't give up easily. I've seen them shot to ribbons and still get away.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
Scottie, I've killed alot of squirrels with a BB gun. Pellots are much more effective. Have him shoot for the head. And like rat was eluding to, you need a decent BB gun.

Pretty cool video. I've seen them take a heck of a lickin and keep ticking. They are some tough, tough animals.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[rquote=1517854&tid=105820&author=rat]What kind of a bb gun is he shooting?[/rquote]

Its a Daisy 880S or something like that. At 10 pumps with a pellet it will kill a squirrel. The boy killed one at 20 yards like that last year.

The kids left all their stuff out one day and the pellets got rained on. I refused to replace them which is why we were in that situation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.