Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

the 2012 furbearing log

6K views 88 replies 23 participants last post by  chuck88 
#1 ·
normaly I work 11pm-7am, but they got the sceduling all screwed up so I don't go into work until 1am tonite. so my roadline will get started on my way to work. running nothing but dogproofs under the bridges on my way to work so I'll only have 9 traps running until saturday. my 2 week vacation starts then then it'll be running alot more traps on the mo river.
this is my roadline setup as most of the bridges are concrete, sand, or rock and don't allow for staking so a brake rotor works for a heavy drag that they very rarely get more then a few feet away from where caught. also extemly quick and easy :cheers:
[file]284503[/file]

#7 ·
not a bad run for 9 traps this morning. had 5 ***** and of course a black smiling grinner waiting for me. 4 of the ***** where big boar ***** so they came home but let the ol sow **** go, looked like she'd been living under barb wire as her back had most of the hair rubbed off it and I could tell she wasn't near prime. I'll get the boars skinned today but I have a feeling they are still a little blue as they aren't to thick in the fur yet.

also started my can collection for the year :rof2: , I pick up every beer can under bridges and usualy end up with a couple trash bags full at the end of season.......I think I make more off beer cans then possums :rof2:
[file]284918[/file]
[file]284920[/file]
[file]284922[/file]

#9 ·
Chuck... How are you setting them free in those dog proofs? That is one reason why I like to set some live traps (so I can let the ones I don't want go).

Let us know how the pelts look... I am gonna set my line this afternoon and wondered if they are blue still or not

#10 ·
well to set them free I use the ol' louisville slugger and lay over their neck and hold down with my foot, pull the trap as far away from their face as possible and take the trap off, then jump back. never had a **** come at me, but always prepared. I have had a couple stay in the same place still thinking their caught though. then a kick of dirt/rocks at them and they scurry away.

got them skinned and 1 was good and primed, the other 3 have a light blue tint to them but not bad. I wouldn't recomend skinning sows and little ones yet as I'm sure they aren't near ready. all of them I skinned today where still a light in the underfur compared to late caught ones.

#12 ·
well I got a new battery for my old **** hunting light all charged up, the garmin dog tracking system charged up, new batteries in the "get over here and quit acting stupid collar" (shock collar), my pistol cleaned up, and my cur is all kinds of fired up.
just waiting until dark to find out if he's been lying to me about whats up trees this summer. :cheers:
hope its better then last year when instead of running ***** we found a wounded deer

#14 ·
well last nights **** hunt wasn't to bad, not that great, but Rocky did get some fur in his mouth.......of course he also got his ear split pretty good :eek:

he aparently got a good jump on the ol ringtail as I heard the squal of the **** from a little over 100 yards away, a few more fighitng **** squals then my cur dog scream with pain. then a 70 yard foot race as the **** broke free and made it to a tree. Rocky was on that tree and still fighting mad......blood pouring out of his ear and he wasn't concerned with anythingbut wanting that ****. shot it out for him and when it hit the ground he made dang sure it was dead. then we had to head home to smear his ear tip with vasoline to stop the bleeding. I think I was more worried about his ear then he was as we was tugging on the leash on the way back to the truck wanting to get out and hunt. hopefully he keeps this fire and hatred of ***** in his belly :cheers:
[file]285137[/file]

#16 ·
well I got out 25 sets yesterday and thought I'd have a better run today, had 5 ***** and 3 grinners, and had otter tracks all around a large pocket set but somehow missed the trap pan :mad2:
only got a dozen dogproofs so I had to drag out the faithful, reliable old pocket set with a foothold and drowner
[file]285407[/file]
[file]285409[/file]

#21 ·
got to wonder, had a man that I know that has helped skin and flesh MANY furs and has trapped MANY ***** tell me the first thing a **** will do is put energy towards the fur, then towards the fat. He said that if you have a **** that's fat as can be it's prime. I believe the man cause he's got my age in experience trapping and skinning the critters. I myself had a 5 **** day yesterday. had 2 nice big boars, 1 big sow, and 2 that would I guess be mediums measuring 23 and 24 inches. All had crazy fat on them. how do you say a sow is blue yet? was she skinny with no fat? how do you look at the fur or hide to determine if she is blue yet? the guy i know did say though too, that sow's and kittens are the last to prime, but the sow I caught yesterday was prime already.

#23 ·
[rquote=2702846&tid=187364&author=Deadeye] He said that if you have a **** that's fat as can be it's prime. how do you say a sow is blue yet? was she skinny with no fat? how do you look at the fur or hide to determine if she is blue yet? the guy i know did say though too, that sow's and kittens are the last to prime, but the sow I caught yesterday was prime already.[/rquote]

never heard the fat thing but there's alot of things I havn't learned yet :cheers:
as fur as looking alot of times if you pin the **** down you can rub the back hair forward and look at the underfur, if its thick and you can't see skin then its probley prime or close to it. its the ones you flip forward and see skin or it just feels real thin and its just hair and not fur (easy to show hard to explain hair vs fur) then the ***** worthless.

#24 ·
You really can't tell the degree of blueness(is that even a word?)until you put him on a fleshing board.Yes,sows and small ***** take longer to prime.Why do you think buyers start the season cheaper on ***** than Dec *****?I've harvested alot of ***** that were fat,but still blue.

#25 ·
had a terrible day and terrible run, had 1 **** and doubled on kit beaver in 1.5 coils springs set in front of pocket sets for ****. this is quite possibly the smallest beaver I've ever caught, we can have a thanksgiving football game with it :rof2:
[file]286024[/file]
[file]286026[/file]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.