Thats what I get for not shooting mature does

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Meller, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Was setup last night in a funnel between 2 bean fields. One had been picked and plowed and one I figured should be getting picked any day. Well the guy showed up to start picking it about 5:00. Good I thought, he will run deer out of that field towards me. And sure enough here they came. Doe and 2 little ones running too far and too fast. Then a few min later doe and a single little one comming a little closer and a little slower.

They got to about 40 yards and stopped, i had the doe dead to rights, but I was gonna let her walk and shoot the young tender one. The young one was still behind some junk. I drew back and waited for it to hit the opening. The doe started walking again, and the little one stepped into the lane and I released. Problem is the little one never stopped. As soon as it hit the opening it did the little "catch up to mom" quick bounce and I clean missed right behind it.

Looking back I should've wacked the doe, it only had one youngn and was a pretty big old doe. Oh well hopefully she comes into heat in a week and has somthing a little bigger trailing her this time :D

2. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1879394&tid=130903&author=MellerAM] Oh well hopefully she comes into heat in a week and has somthing a little bigger trailing her this time :D[/rquote]

That's the right attitude to have. What haunted you on this hunt, may just come back to reward you big time. At least that's what I'm wishing for ya.:wave:

3. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    Sounds like an exciting hunt.

4. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    It was a pretty good sit, just glad it was a clean miss. I hate all night trailing jobs, or wounding one. Wasnt too upset about it...its hunting. Had it been a monster I would be :whinging:

5. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I don't like night tracking anymore than anyone, but 'tis better than no tracking at all. :whistle:

6. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    [rquote=1879485&tid=130903&author=Wings Fan 19]I don't like night tracking anymore than anyone, but 'tis better than no tracking at all. :whistle:
    [/rquote]

If you find them, if not...Id rather not draw blood

7. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Fair 'nuf.
    I am always on the fence about those last minute shots. It's gotta be a slam dunk or a good'un... the lil voice in me head saying "it'll be a long night or ya might not finding it".... not the best thing to shoot when that lil voice is talkin' to me.
    The whole when in doubt back out has some merit, but I hate the idea of killin' one to feed the fleabags too.