That's a first

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Judah, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    So I am set up in a great spot last night urban area, got the buck narrowed down to his bedding area and we have every exit surrounded.

Well 4:15 BOOM! Someone shots a gun from their YARD not 300 yards from me!!!!!!!!! :eek:
    I think, they just poached a deer! :mad2:

Well, 10 minutes pass and BOOM!!!! At this point, I get down. No deer is worth some :stickfight: throwing a stray bullet at me!!!!

Needless to say, no shots last night! But I did see 9 deer one in range but I was holding out for the buck.

Guy ended up shooting four times so I adjusted my thoughts to assume he was sighting in his shotgun or ML. :soapbox:

That's a first for me! Wake up call! :mad2:

2. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    alot of that going on the next section over, his clients must be arriving pretty solid firing there for awhile this morning

3. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

I was sitting in a great spot during youth season. I had forgotten all about youth season and a hunter on the property line blasted one off and I about came ungluedd until I remembered it was youth season. Overheard the boy tell his father on the two-way that he had shot a 10 pointer with lots of kickers.

4. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Last year in ML season, a neighbor was so close to me when he shot I could hear the snap of the primer, could smell the powder and hear the sabot zippin' thru the air. :eek:

5. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    [rquote=1891231&tid=131730&author=Hayzer]I was sitting in a great spot during youth season. I had forgotten all about youth season and a hunter on the property line blasted one off and I about came ungluedd until I remembered it was youth season. Overheard the boy tell his father on the two-way that he had shot a 10 pointer with lots of kickers.[/rquote]

That's interesting, isn't a youth supposed to be in the "immediate presence" of a properly licensed adult? :thinking:

6. Wings Fan 19

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    [rquote=1891231&tid=131730&author=Hayzer]I was sitting in a great spot during youth season. I had forgotten all about youth season and a hunter on the property line blasted one off and I about came ungluedd until I remembered it was youth season. Overheard the boy tell his father on the two-way that he had shot a 10 pointer with lots of kickers.[/rquote]
    Thought the adult was supposed to he hunting WITH the child? :thinking::shrug:

7. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

That's what I thought as well, but there's nothing I can do about it other than report it.

8. not if hes/her hunter ed certified:cheers:

9. Wings Fan 19

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Dangit Judah beat me to it, again. :D

10. Hunter79

Hunter79 Active Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Maywood, MO
    Two years ago I was at work with my co workers. I work construction. We were working on a house and boom, ZING! The neighbor was sighting in his rifle shooting RIGHT IN OUR DIRECTION!! We all headed for cover while one of my co workers went to pay him a visit. He ended up shooting 4 times in our direction with ricochets every time before we got him to stop. I had to clean out my shorts after all that.

11. Wings Fan 19

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    [rquote=1891241&tid=131730&author=greenheadsmoker]not if hes/her hunter ed certified:cheers: [/rquote]
    Youth weekend is for non-hunters ed certified kids. :shrug:

12. False youth weekend is for youths 15 and under i had mine when i was 11 and hunted the youth weekend that same year

13. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    [rquote=1891257&tid=131730&author=Wings Fan 19][rquote=1891241&tid=131730&author=greenheadsmoker]not if hes/her hunter ed certified:cheers: [/rquote]
    Youth weekend is for non-hunters ed certified kids. :shrug:[/rquote]

Not exactly Greg

If the youth is not hunter certified, he or she must hunt in the immediate presence of a qualifying mentor

If they are certified, they can still hunt without the mentor during the youth season provided they are between the ages of 11 and 15 since you must be 11 to be certified.

14. Wings Fan 19

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
  15. Hannibal Bowhunter

Hannibal Bowhunter Active Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Hannibal, MO
    The guy that owns the farm next to mine is a 'gun nut' and is literally shooting some kind of gun/rifle every time I hunt. It used to bother me, but I am so used to it that I barely notice now. I think it conditions our deer as well - they pay it no attention.

16. Wings Fan 19

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I can tell you if you hunt Platte Falls CA, you'll get very sick of hearing the shotguns at the range there if you hunt on a weekend.

17. Cook

Cook Active Member

May 28, 2003
    [rquote=1891235&tid=131730&author=judah][rquote=1891231&tid=131730&author=Hayzer]I was sitting in a great spot during youth season. I had forgotten all about youth season and a hunter on the property line blasted one off and I about came ungluedd until I remembered it was youth season. Overheard the boy tell his father on the two-way that he had shot a 10 pointer with lots of kickers.[/rquote]

That's interesting, isn't a youth supposed to be in the "immediate presence" of a properly licensed adult? :thinking:[/rquote]
    just playing devils advocate-kid could of had an adult with him,and the dad was with another youth(brother/sister)..kinda stretch,but possible.

18. Gutpile

Gutpile Cooler Semi-Elitist

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    I used to hunt a PRIMO suburban spot in St. Charles county and one time a dude must have been working in his yard no too far away and I could hear his radio claring "Yellow Submarine" by the beatles.

As it got dark in december and the leaves were off the trees, i could see the christmas lights on the houses in the area. I pretty much had to be a sneak you-know-what to keep things on teh down low. Obviously I had permission from the owner, but didnt particularly want to attract attention to myself. I stayed in the brush until no neighbors or cars were passing then I quickly tossed my crap in the truck and hopped in and drove off. Dragging deer out was anothe chose all together.:claphands:

19. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    I was up in a tree stand when the neighbor decided to sight in his rifle! With bullets tearing through the leaves above my head I bailed out of the stand! Drove over as mad as I could be and it turned out to be a local cop I knew. He apoligised and said he didn't know I was in the woods. That's about as scared as I ever been!