Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· King of Callaway
43,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had a youth who no one in the family had turkey hunted before, I had to work Saturday but we still had Sunday. Hike in and put my niece and my father in the blind in the bottom, grab a lone hen and head back up to the top of the hill where I'd built a brush blind with my hunter and his dad. Get set up gobbling right below us, birds fly down, yelp 4 times one answers. Literally for the next 2 hours I coaxed him very slowly. He would gobble 2-3 times, I would wait ten minutes and yelp softly and he would come 10-15 yards closer. This actually worked out well for us as it gave me plenty of time to get the boy in position. However as soon as he got into the field he wanted out so we had to rush the shot. Modified choke with the 3" TSS 7's did what was asked of them. Father and son both got a big kick out of me diving on the bird, but anyone who's went after one that only got a few pellets in the head knows they will leave. I think they are both hooked now, they liked hearing the woods wake up and got pretty excited as we worked this bird. In the bottom I found out I need another jake stake as a big bird came in and beat the jake decoy at least three different times, for whatever reason she didn't shoot. She shot last year so not sure what the hold up was. Youth double would have been nice

Oh well the dead Bird was 23 pounds, had three beards and 2 YO spurs. All in all was a fine day. That is a PV in the pic, it's almost cheating using one on a gobbler, they just can't resist them. :clap:

Attachments

· Máistir an pointe hocht.
75,066 Posts
Warning shots?

Congrats Fishy, to both of you, good bird! :tup:

· Banned
81,617 Posts
Congrats to the young man. He must be a special kind of lucky.

· King of Callaway
43,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
video of open field tackle???
Ya my cameraman was slacking, I warned him when the bird showed things would more than likely happen fast. They both thought that was the funniest part of the hunt :banging:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.