Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Mailman, I just bought a new to me 17hmr!!!!!!! Now ya gotta tell me where you got your trigger...And then I gots to buy dat scope...Looks like we're gonna have to take another trip to the range here pretty soon!!!!!! Take caution people, hangin out with the Mailman can cost ya money....hehehe

·
Registered
70,601 Posts
I just like to share the fun. I got my Rifle Basix trigger on ebay for $40 but you can get one at Midsouth Shooters for $65.72. It is adjustable from 14 oz. to 2 lbs. The scope is made for the .17 HMR round exclusive by BSA Scopes. It is called "BSA Sweet 17" It is the 3 - 12 X 40 Duplex Reticle with a matte finish with adjustable objective for $86.99 also at Midsouth. Here is their link on line http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ I've heard that some use this little caliber to shoot prairre dogs clear out to 400 yards?? Word to the wise....don't set that new trigger to lite cause even a two lb trigger can go off real easy when in the field. On the bench it is another story. Have fun and buy those shells by the case cause you can't stop shooting once you start. I bought 5 boxes (250 rounds) two months ago and I'm already out. You will be getting those 3/4 inch five shot groups at 100 yds with no problem. Watch on ebay for that trigger if you aren't in a hurry.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
the .17 hmr and the .204 ruger are both home runs in my book that will not become one of those fads that go away. :eek: i love shooting the .17 but i haven't wacked anything with it yet.
i was going to go the rout of one of those 17hmr scopes and even bought the Cabelas pine ridge 6-18 version but it would white out at high power if you ever so much as blinked from true center on the scope so it went back. i ended up with my 4x12x40 on it and it is fine. i don't plan on shooting out past 100 yds much with it as the .17 just doesn't buck even a little wind very well after 100 yds.

·
Under appreciated
92,555 Posts
I think 400yds is pushing it with the.17 but it is a fun round to shoot.

I need me one myself!

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
I just put a 44 mag handi rifle on lay away. Hafta explain it the first of the month!

·
Registered
13,804 Posts
HMRs run out of gas at about 200 yards, on PDs, anyway. I've done further, but it wasn't clean or pretty:frown:, so I try to keep it closer now. The best thing about them, is that with the low noise level, it doesn't scare the rats too much. On a windy day, get downwind about 150 yards, and you can shoot all day long, or until you run out of ammo, the noise is blown AWAY from them, and you can have a blast:D I have made believers out of some folks doing it that way. The HMR is the real deal, although it doesn't "SPLAT" the way a centerfire does. I love 'em!

Attachments

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Mailman
I haven't shot at anything over 100 yards with mine. Plucked the eye out of a squirrel sitting in a walnut tree at that distance.
I can vouch for MM's gun doin that too....I'm not the best trigger man in the world, and I even put em in there tight!!!

Mailman, how is the factory trigger, pretty bad? I got's time, I'll check ebay too. I'll be pickin it up tomorrow evenin, will post pics when I can!!!

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't shot at anything over 100 yards with mine. Plucked the eye out of a squirrel sitting in a walnut tree at that distance.
I know a pond, that if the frogs set jus' rite, I can git bout a hunnert yds from em, with the dam behind em....that should make for some pretty pics for the Pdoggin boys!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
70,601 Posts
Shoot for the head. Don't wanna mess up those legs ya know!:eek: Factory trigger isn't that bad but you can sure tell the difference while bench shooting. If I remember right the factory setting is around 4 lbs. I have my Rifle Basix set at 1 1/2 lbs. Any lighter I'm a bit afraid of it going off to quick.

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shoot for the head. Don't wanna mess up those legs ya know!:eek: Factory trigger isn't that bad but you can sure tell the difference while bench shooting. If I remember right the factory setting is around 4 lbs. I have my Rifle Basix set at 1 1/2 lbs. Any lighter I'm a bit afraid of it going off to quick.
Thanks again, Mailman....Priorities have me buyin a scope first, then maybe the trigger....

·
Registered
70,601 Posts
Here is a better one than I have on E-Bay. Check it outhttp://cgi.ebay.com/B-S-A-SWEET-17-6-18-x-40-MM-AO-EX-COND_W0QQitemZ270005553647QQihZ017QQcategoryZ31714QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
like I said.......TANKS MAILMAN...hehehe. Whats that scope going for retail, any idear??? That would be pretty sweet, fo sho. What power was yours?

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine is the 3 - 12 X 40mm. The one on ebay (6 - 18 x 40mm) runs $130 at Cabelas
Thanks...I'll have to keep an eye on it tomorrow...but, gots ta pay fo da gun first!!!! I'm on dat danged fixed income ya know...lol

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is a better one than I have on E-Bay. Check it outhttp://cgi.ebay.com/B-S-A-SWEET-17-6-18-x-40-MM-AO-EX-COND_W0QQitemZ270005553647QQihZ017QQcategoryZ31714QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Looks like I just bought a scope too...be in bidness real soon!!!

·
Registered
70,601 Posts
Thought you said that you were on a FIXED INCOME. Looks to me you just BROKE IT. Got a good scope for half price....not a bad deal. You won't need a spotting scope for that 18 power. Should be able to count the whiskers on a squirrels nose at a 100 yards. Do you have to sell something now to pay for da scope? Maybe the combo to the lock on the gate??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.