Texas deals with poaching in a decent way!

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by 20', Jan 30, 2018.

1. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017

DougC likes this.
  2. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017

I forget exactly, but the odds of shooting a booner are like 1/186,000 deer, so yes I would say $53K is about right......ive been hunting 25+ years and surely spent more that 53 large and haven't killed one.

To say a spike is equal to a booner is not accurate, at least in terms or age, BC is probably 5-6 year older, so if they want to charge 10K for a spike, I am good with that. More harsh penalties tend to curb crime....I know I would slow down on the roads if speeding tickets were 10X what the currently are now.

3. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    You see lots of big bucks hanging out by barns with lights??

4. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    with cornpiles I would say I see it happening. saw a hero shot near the described barn and kill photo of a 160+ using said light, then noticed the blind within the frame, the photo was quickly taken down when mentioned. do be dick about this, with bait piles deer could EASILY be killed at night, and from knowing a few stories of the mdc catching cheats doing this, my guess is it happens more than we care to believe.

DCSarchette likes this.
  5. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    I sure see them in front of trailcams with cornpiles, so if a cheater wanted to take advantage they surely could figure something out!

DCSarchette likes this.
  6. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Many years ago, Montana or Wyoming put in a system where they valued different game animals, and your fine was based on those values.

Is a huge B&C buck worth 53K? Not to everyone, but much more than that to others.

I am not sure what the correct fine system is, but I'd say that in Missouri, it's way too lenient. Face it, big bucks have become big business. And, I don't buy into the old, it's some good boys, out trying to have some fun. I was in Highschool in the 1970's..... I will tell you, drinking and driving used to be a lot of fun too, but that don't make it ok. :wave1: There is nothin more frustrating as a sportsman, to work on your property, try to let bucks grow, and then hear about some kids out shooting bucks at night just to lop off the head, or leave them lay. It does not bother me in the least, if my neighbor shoots a 1.5 year old buck legally though.

Would like to see Missouri stiffen the punishment for stuff like this, I'd also like to see game warden's spend more time looking for serious poachers, then they do look'n for maw-maw fishing for blue gill in a pond without a license. The problem is, it's become a lot like law enforcement. Lets pick the low hanging fruit and give out some speeding tickets, or minor in possession tickets, because it does not take as much time and effort as it does to catch the really bad guys.... :wave1:

20' and DCSarchette like this.
  7. DCSarchette

DCSarchette Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2016
    Bland, Mo.
    I can think of at least three places in my area that this could very easily happen, especially with a bait pile. I have drove past these three places numerous times after dark while deer were feeding on the field by the barn/buildings with dusk to dawn lights. I have seen one wall hanger, and several other bucks at these places over the years. One of them is on a busy state highway, and the other two or in the rural areas. There is plenty of light to shoot any hour of the day from a blind, at any of the three. A bait pile would surely add to the possibilities.

8. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    If the dude was trespassing I doubt he was in someones barn with an established corn pile..... that would be very ballsy....

9. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Whatever it takes to insure this guy never attempts it again. Also maybe change the minds and ways of like minded people. If in this case it $53K, so be it.

20' likes this.
  10. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    There are many ways he could have done it, bottom line he thankfully got caught!

11. Gmann

Gmann Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Allen, TX
    Supposedly he shot it one evening and it ran off. Said he went back to put it out of its misery, but when he shot it again, it was eating under a feeder. So it was not/may not have been mortally wounded. No spotlight that I'm aware of. All took place on property he did not have permission to hunt. Not to mention, this deer was very well known among all the neighboring property. When it was seen where, etc., pretty much knew he was trespassing.

20' likes this.
  12. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    If he didnt have a light Id love to know what kind of sight and peep he was using. I normally cant sgoot anymore 10 minutes before close of legal shooting.....

13. Gerald Garrou

Gerald Garrou Member

Dec 4, 2017
    About 9 years ago, when Northern Wi.

20' likes this.
  14. Gerald Garrou

Gerald Garrou Member

Dec 4, 2017
    About 9 years ago, when Northern Wi. Still had deer, a guy shot a 203" typical during a 4 day doe only rifle hunt. He turned himself in to the DNR. He knew it was a doe only season, but couldn't resist the urge. The DNR travels with that one along with several other giants on seminars they call the Wall Of Shame. How can you be happy or full filled with an animal you didn't take legally? Never understood that one!