Texas deals with poaching in a decent way!

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by 20', Jan 30, 2018.

1. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    DENTON COUNTY - A North Texas man was sentenced this week for violating legal hunting hours while hunting the second-largest whitetail buck ever in Texas.

Travis D. Johnson of Aubrey, Texas, was sentenced in Denton County court to two years of probation and 40 hours community service, plus court costs.

He also faces in excess of $53,000 in civil restitution fines from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, and is prohibited from purchasing a hunting license for the duration of his deferred adjudication period.

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department says Johnson claimed to have shot the buck at 7:30 p.m., within legal hunting hours. But, investigators became aware of rumors circulating on social media that he had killed the animal after that time.

Through the investigation, game wardens say they gathered evidence that led to Johnson’s confession that he harvested the deer after legal hunting hours and on property he was not supposed to be hunting on.

Game wardens say if Johnson had harvested the buck legally, it would have ranked as the highest scoring deer taken with bow and arrow ever in Texas.

2. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Do you think the punishment would have been the same if it was a 120 or spike??????

3. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    How do you shoot a deer after hours with a bow? Spotlight?

4. DPx2

DPx2 Psalm 31:6

Jul 5, 2009
    Iowa apparently gives them a good jab in the ribs for it as well. I was talking to a young man from Iowa a couple months back, about deer hunting, how his season was, etc.
    He proceeded to tell me he shot a deer scored 194", the day before the season opened. They were watching, and caught him, had pics. Besides having his hunting privileges revoked for at least 2 years, he also was hit with a $7000 fine. They tried to confiscate his truck in the process as well but didn't end up with it. Don't know what else he did or didn't tell me. For all I know he made it up, but some, if not all of it seemed true the way he told it.
    I didn't know the kid from Adam.

20' likes this.
  5. huntnfool

huntnfool Active Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Central Mo
    Buck, doe, spike, fawn should be the same.

Wings Fan 19 likes this.
  6. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    I would hope so, or at aleast have a scale like Iowa does for the size of the buck. Let's face it, a deer is a deer, but hammering poachers even harder for toothy class works for me.

doepee likes this.
  7. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Yes spotlights, headlights, have also seen poachers caught that used dusk Gil dawn near barns, etc. one fool forget to take the flash light wires tied to his stabilizer on the hero shot

8. huntnfool

huntnfool Active Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Central Mo
    It would be great if the honest citizen reported all poaching...not just the illegal take of trophy deer. As you said, a deer is a deer. Penalty wise it really shouldn't matter. Poaching of sub-trophy deer should be the same to really make a difference.

rat and WBF like this.
  9. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017

The difference is for many hunters , the trophy buck is far more sought after, probably passed many times allowing him to age. There should be a steep cost/penalty for poaching any animal, and deer wise have a base cost plus a trophy fee (if you will). I see zero issues with up charging a poacher!

I would really like to see the Missouri outdoorsman set the fines and punishments for poachers and game violators! Try to cover as many violations as possible over the limits in fishing is this much, grossly over is this much more, turkey violation, deer, etc. make it real easy so if there are situations not covered the judge can find the nearest violation penalty and assign it to the poacher.

The courts general refuse to give harsh penalties, because the judges don't view wildlife infractions as serious as Sportman do!

10. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I think spikes should carry the highest penalty. All future booners. They need protection.

11. huntnfool

huntnfool Active Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Central Mo
    For the most part I think we agree on this issue. The difference would be in how much for a poached animal. Steep penalty or cost for poaching is different for everyone. If I was issued a $500 ticket it would be more than enough to make me think twice. Others that may not be enough.
    I would agree that some fines are a little low. More serious violations should get higher fines. Taking one crappie over limit should be a lot lower than taking twice the daily limit (which it is.) I don't necessarily agree that fines accessed for shooting a trophy deer should reach the price of a new vehicle (that may be a little exaggerated). Like you said a deer is a deer.

12. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    People will do anything for antlers I guess. Not even on ground he was supposed to hunt.

13. Gmann

Gmann Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Allen, TX
    Pretty much in my backyard. Heard all kinds of stories/rumors about what happened. Mom is supposedly retired PD, probably made a major plea deal. Bottom line is the man is a poacher, nothing more than a liar and a thief. You would not believe how many people around here are defending his actions and claiming what an upstanding christian man he is. IMO, he should have his hunting privileges revoked a minimum of 10 years, community service for the landowner he poached on, and pay restitution (which he is).

Someone even popped off on a FB post that we've all done something like this, or, if you'd have had the chance, you'd have done the same thing. Not hardly. There is absolutely no respect for anyone any more, the ME-lennial generation is alive and well.

20' likes this.
  14. bluecan

bluecan Long time listener, first time caller

$53,000+ for a deer? That's a little absurd. I get the other punishments and a fine of some value, but seriously, $53,000 restitution? How does Texas really claim that they lost that much income because he shot the deer illegally? I believe that a punishment should fit the crime and I agree that they go way too soft on many, but this is too far the other way, IMO.

DCSarchette likes this.
  15. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    So whats the real story? Did he wound it first? How did he shoot it with a bow after hours? Spotlight?

16. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017

He wouldn't have been fined a penny had he not poached the deer! $53,000 may be xtreme to some or not enough, who knows? Would the smile on your kids face when he or she walked up on a that deer after legally killing it been worth 53K or even more, maybe priceless? A deer like that is what 1 in 186,000 deer, so ya maybe Texas knows what they are doing!

17. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017

Hawk,
    unfortunately these things happen a lot with bows at night, there is plenty of light in many areas and like I said some poachers fasten lights to their bows and I can only assume they are right on a bait pile as well.

18. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Other than after snow, Ive never been in an area where there was plenty of light to shoot a bow where a deer would visit at night, other than a parking lot in the city...

So did he wound the animal first?

19. bluecan

bluecan Long time listener, first time caller

I realize that he broke the law and deserves punishment, and I don't know anything about this guy or his financial status, but $53k is a lot of money to most people, and restitution implies that the state somehow missed out on that much income because of it. I would like to know how they arrived at that figure. If it is because of the size of the deer, that would indicate that poaching smaller deer is not as big of a deal. I disagree with that. If it is because the man is wealthy, and can afford to pay it, then it indicates that less wealthy poachers are not as big of a deal as a rich one. I disagree with that also. Either of those two scenarios doesn't explain how this fine is in the name of restitution.

DCSarchette likes this.