Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone on MWT that deer hunts in Texas County, MO? I'm considering buying a property there and want to get some opinions. I have spent most of my time hunting in Northern Missouri where the deer have bigger bodies and typically larger antlers. The hunting up north is completely different since it is mainly hardwoods and agricultural fields. South of I-44, there is a lot more timber and the deer are generally smaller (body weight), although I have seen some really nice ones posted on this site that were taken in this area.

What draws me to southern Missouri is the price per acre. It is less than half that of up north and there are year round recreational opportunities with all of the rivers in the area. However, I have heard a lot of complaints about the hunting south of I-44 as well. That said, if you hunt in Texas County then I'd like to hear your opinion of it - either via post or send me a PM. Thanks.

· Registered
8,049 Posts
Hunt there every rifle season. Tons of deer. Big bucks can be had if you wait

· Registered
21,512 Posts
I came from Grain Fields to Big Woods I had to adjust it was much harder, you had to spot saddles and shelfs. Good Topo Map helps a bunch.

I had more Poaching some would kill Deer and Turkey year round. I had a woman at the Feed Store bragging on a Big Buck killed on my place in July. She clamed up when I pressed on who shot it.

Had an Agent out trying to catch guys shooting Turkeys every day from March 1. Was told about how bad I was having the Law out and I might as well pack my stuff and get out because I was no longer welcome in the area. New Agent told me things have not changed.

All that being said if I waited I killed 140+ Deer but anymore my wife wants younger Deer so most the time Brown it's down.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin lived in the Wild Lands.

· Banned
7,215 Posts
Doesn’t Texas county kill the most deer of any county? Or at least top 5 every year? Lots of deer, lots of dink killing meat hunters who hunt private like its public. “Gotta kill em or the neighbor/poachers will!” attitude is prevalent. Land is cheap cause it’s mostly shallow rocky soil. If you have a big enough piece, that has some sort of feature like a river or creek bottom to concentrate deer, you might kill a decent buck every other year. Great place to bring the whole family and kill everything that moves tho. Very target rich environment for a dink killer.

· Banned
7,215 Posts
Texas counties size makes harvest numbers deceptive .
Do me a favor and run the numbers on the harvest per acre for the top 10 counties so we can get an accurate comparison please. You're right, that would be a much more accurate representation.

Reactions: WBF

· Registered
8,049 Posts
Again, I grew up in Texas County and hunt there every year. There are a lot of deer there.

Reactions: Pastor

· Banned
81,617 Posts
Do me a favor and run the numbers on the harvest per acre for the top 10 counties so we can get an accurate comparison please. You're right, that would be a much more accurate representation.
That would be a good project for you to try. Texas county is our largest county. They do have a lot of deer , but the reason they are near the top of county harvest stats every year is their size.

Reactions: ELKMO41

· Registered
948 Posts
I live in Howell but have hunted in Tx. at my friends place. Its usually in the top 3 fer total kills. Yup plenty of poaching n lots of tick toters. Big Bucks there are some decent ones 140-150 in that county

· Registered
21,512 Posts
Ok I know it is couple counties over but don't it have a lot of MTNF?

I went there one time to buy a Log Truck had a good time met some interesting people.

oneshot

· Banned
81,617 Posts
Ok I know it is couple counties over but don't it have a lot of MTNF?

I went there one time to buy a Log Truck had a good time met some interesting people.

oneshot
It has around 50,000 acres of mtnf. Another 12,000 Mdc ground. Lots of public in that county.

· Registered
281 Posts
Ive been hunting in Tx county for 24 years. The deer numbers have increased significantly in that time.There are quality deer but you have to be patient to kill them. There are no antler restrictions and there is a prevalent attitude if its brown its down. My neighbors are happy shooting 2 yearlings then gripe about not having enough meat for the year and then they are amazed at the body size and the amount of meat Ill get off of a 4-5 yr old buck or doe. I go opening weekend and Im usually looking for an old barren doe and then on Wed. I get pretty serious about hunting the older bucks. Lots less people in the woods and when I looked back through my notes, Ive killed 1 good buck opening weekend and the rest have come from Wed. on. 2 years ago i got a 146" with the bow and a 158" with a gun. It was a good year and the bow came off public land. I don't get a buck every year but Im fine with passing the younger deer.
Good luck

· Registered
21,512 Posts
I’m basically in the Brown it’s down club but my wife insists that I kill young Deer. Kill 3 young Deer and I’m done it don’t matter if it is with a Bow.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin likes bones

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.