Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has three food plots that range from 2 acres, 0.5 acres, and 0.25 acres. I have heard that Eagle forage soybeans withstand heavier browsing pressure. We were thinking of trying these next spring in the larger foodplots. If the deer demolish them we will overseed with wheat and rye in the fall. Are we wasting are time? His property is right next to a huge Missouri River bottom that should ease some of the pressure.

·
5,092 Posts
i'm looking forward to the responses you get. i sent an e-mail to the mfa in Harrisonville yesterday asking for pricing on all varieties and mixes from eagle brand soybeans. i also asked if they stocked them or if they were special order. if i get a response i'll post the info.

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
Well IMO soybeans are hit mainly in the young green growth stage, seems to me deer dont like to eat the actual beans very well. Corn is hit once ears are put on. Corn will provide a more palatable food source later in the season, but not early. Plant half and half. That way you get early forage and late season food in the same 4 acres

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,028 Posts
[rquote=1503843&tid=104932&author=MellerAM]Well IMO soybeans are hit mainly in the young green growth stage, seems to me deer dont like to eat the actual beans very well. [/rquote]

Not true. Deer love soybeans, especially this time of year. The only time I've noticed a decrease in use is when the beans are at their driest. Once they break out of the pod & fall to the ground & soak up water, or in the pod & softened from rains, deer are all over them

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
What is the minimum amt of area you would like to have planted in either? I've been told 3+ just curious what others think.

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
[rquote=1503851&tid=104932&author=pinwheel]

Not true. Deer love soybeans, especially this time of year. The only time I've noticed a decrease in use is when the beans are at their driest. Once they break out of the pod & fall to the ground & soak up water, or in the pod & softened from rains, deer are all over them

[/rquote]

I guess I never see that, cause I hunt crop fields, normally the beans are long gone by now.

·
Registered
982 Posts
i went to a seminar put on by Dr. Grant Woods and he seems to pretty much mow most of his soybeans down in late summer and plants the greener wintry stuff, like rape, turnips and ww. He leaves the corn alone but brush hogs down the beans. i thought that was weird. He also was asked what he would plant for early season bowhunting only and without hesitation he said go out in August and plant soybeans, said there is just something about a 3 in tall soybean that deer can refuse.

·
Registered
23,529 Posts
[rquote=1503858&tid=104932&author=Whitmore44]What is the minimum amt of area you would like to have planted in either? I've been told 3+ just curious what others think.[/rquote]

I routinely plant an acre with beans and they do just fine. The deer are hammering them hard right now.

Let me add, I also have other foodplots to take some of the pressure. An acre of soybeans all alone in a food vacuum likely won't last long.

[Edited on 12/9/2009 by Modeerhunter]

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Not sure about Eagle brand beans, not familiar with them. However, you might consider planting the vining or reseeding type of bean, sometimes referred to as the quail haven reseeding soybeans. They have a RU ready version out now as well but they are higher priced. I think they would withstand browsing very well. I planted some of the non-RU ready beans two years ago and had as good a stand this year as I did the first year and I dont think I did a single thing to the plot, just let them reseed naturally. Plant these with some milo or corn and you'll have more food and cover then you thought possible. They are amazing in my opinion.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
5,092 Posts
FYI, This is what the MFA nearest to me said about pricing and availability on Eagle Brand soybeans.

"They listed MFA on their website as a distributor last year of the forage beans. Then for one reason or another had no product available to supply us with so we had no access to any of their seed last year. We are hoping to be able to have some supply available this year. Our contact guy in the home office is out for the next couple of weeks. I was told that he is supposed to have something hashed out with them upon his return. I have left a message with him to get back with me when he knows something, but it may be after the first of the year. I will get back in touch with you when I know more.

This is an item we don’t have a lot of demand for and therefore won’t keep in stock. If we can get product from the company, they will lay some into our warehouse to distribute to locations as needed. We have a truck that delivers from the warehouse once a week, so as long as they are able to get it into the warehouse I can get it for you.

As far as pricing goes, I was told that I would need to talk to the same guy who is out for the next few weeks, so unfortunately that will have to wait as well. I apologize for the delay in getting you an answer, but I’ll let you know as soon as I know something. Thanks."

·
5,092 Posts
would it be better to plant 4 acres of corn or 4 acres of soybeans for late season archery hunting?

[Edited on 12/9/2009 by citybowhunter]

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
[rquote=1504089&tid=104932&author=citybowhunter]would it be better to plant 4 acres of corn or 4 acres of soybeans for late season archery hunting?

[Edited on 12/9/2009 by citybowhunter][/rquote]

I would plant beans they provide food over a much longer period. The deer will eat the leaves all summer while green, and then they hammer the beans in the late season. We planted an acre of beans a couple of years ago and come Dec- Feb they tore the plot apart. Looked like I took a brushog to it. Plus with beans you can always top seed WW and oats in Sept to provide some green in the early fall as the bean leaves turn. IMO - RR beans are the best food plot money can buy.

With corn you only get food in the fall, which is good for hunting, but does not provide the same nutrion over the long haul. One nice thing about corn is the cover it provides which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

[Edited on 12/9/2009 by Heart shot]

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Plant both. Broadcast some beans, let them get a start, then go back and row in your corn. Or if you use the quail haven beans, they'll vine up the corn stalks and provide a smorgasboard of food and awesome cover.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
my favorite food plot now is regular soybeans, then broadcast WW into them when the leaves start to yellow. Someone on here had that idea. Might work fine with the forage soybean too, but since I get my bin-run 'beans for free I go with them.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
I sent a feller on the QDMA website who is also a member here a link to this thread. "Soybean Man" can answer most any questions you want answered.

I've read quite a few good things about them, but haven't tried them yet.

[Edited on 12-10-2009 by HabitatMD]

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
They came back. Seemed like they did well in certain areas and not in others. I'm not sure if the seed matured this year for next years crop. Once they get going, they really get going. I just think cool summers aren't the best for them and they struggle to make viable beans.

And yours?

[Edited on 12-10-2009 by HabitatMD]

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Mine done great again this year. Did you do anything to the ground or just let them go on their own? I'm going to try to get some milo planted this year, or some corn. I tried broadcasting corn but it didn't do worth a hoot.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts