Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
“When dealing with juveniles, we try to use a lot of discretion. We do not want to push them to the point where they quit hunting, trapping and fishing completely. This was an extreme case,†said Dallas Davis, state conversation office for Monroe and Appanoose counties.

I'm totally stumped by the above quote from the article???

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
:cheers::cheers:

That is right in the neck of the woods we hunt in.

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
good fines, but only 80 hours of community service? Hope they loose their hunting privileges for a long time

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[rquote=1546298&tid=107652&author=Cook]“When dealing with juveniles, we try to use a lot of discretion. We do not want to push them to the point where they quit hunting, trapping and fishing completely. This was an extreme case,†said Dallas Davis, state conversation office for Monroe and Appanoose counties.

I'm totally stumped by the above quote from the article???[/rquote]
Pretty sure their hands were tied because of the "Trophy" antler clause.... couldn't be lenient.

·
8,861 Posts
probably just continuing the FAMILY tradition. From the article I don't think taking their hunting privileges will make much difference as they were not using legal means to start with.

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
Please not the young person, throw them in prison vs. community service, debate again.:blah:

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
[rquote=1546320&tid=107652&author=Satch]probably just continuing the FAMILY tradition. From the article I don't think taking their hunting privileges will make much difference as they were not using legal means to start with.[/rquote]
Ditto-they never had licenses to begin with

·
8,861 Posts
Don't know really what the best option for punishment would be. Maybe let them wear tracking devices for a couple of years so that if any wildlife or domestic animal killings take place there would be a record of where they were at. As well, I'm sure they'd make a fashion statement in front of all of their friends.

Maybe make them a nice hot pink color.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I think that all road hunting/spotlighting should be punished sternly, not just when someone kills a "trophy". Glad these boys were caught young, it may not be too late for them to amend their ways.

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
At least they got more than just a slap on the wrist.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
What is an appropriate punishment for poaching? I see some folks that think poachers should be treated harsher than rapists or murderers. Should a value be placed on each animal so that punishment can be meted out according to a monetary value?

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
[rquote=1546399&tid=107652&author=bvp81]They should never be allowed to hunt again. Stupid kids.:mad2:[/rquote]

You said it stupid kids. So they should have to pay for the rest of their lives for what might be there only mistake in life? I cannot agree with that point of view but hey I am old and I see things differently.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,469 Posts
[rquote=1546392&tid=107652&author=JackJr]What is an appropriate punishment for poaching? I see some folks that think poachers should be treated harsher than rapists or murderers. Should a value be placed on each animal so that punishment can be meted out according to a monetary value? [/rquote]

Hard to believe someone would want to bring rational thought into one of these debates, rather than just emotion. Good for you Jack.:2thumbsup:

Like so many things in life, I don't believe there's a cut & dry cookie cutter answer to all situations. What gets one kids attention, won't even phase the next one. Community service may open one kids eyes, while the next kid will just laugh it off. Some people on internet forums, believe someones life should be ruined because they made poor judgement as a youth. I know for me, had the people making the decisions about my fate as a youngster doing stupid things, been left up to some of these people, I'd still be rotting in prison.

These are young people. They performed incredibly stupid acts, probably as much to impress their buddies as anything. With the right handling, they can go on to become productive members of society. Heck, who knows, if the right message gets through, they could gain the same love & respect for wildlife that so many of us here have.

I for one, think like letemgrow, a very stiff dose of community service & educations about wildlife may just open the eyes of at least one of these young people. Heavy fines that can be partially worked off doing service would be a good starting point.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Well I know an act of kindness when I was young turned my life and thought process around. Not all bad kids grow up to be bad adults, just like all good kids don't grow up to be good adults..

·
Banned
24,572 Posts
[rquote=1546330&tid=107652&author=PHhunter]Please not the young person, throw them in prison vs. community service, debate again.:blah:[/rquote]

Heck no, just hang them from the nearest oak instead of community service. :eek:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.