Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a trip up to Ted Shanks this year and have cut myself short on scouting time. I was hoping that I may be able to get just a "tad bit" of info on this area from those who have been there. I have called the areas "workers" a couple of times and have not gotten any concrete answers as of yet. I was hoping to find out if this area is hunted pretty hard, and if yes, is there a particular area that is hunted more than anouther. I have done my homework on areals and topos, but have not been able to get up there yet. I am wanting to try to stay away from the crowd as best I can. Any information I might be able to barrow would be great! Thanks a ton!

Nathan

·
10,944 Posts
from one springfieldian to another via Hannibal now, shanks is a large large area, its all flat and full of nasty skeeters early in the year, they flood alot of the area for the duck guys, there is some wooded veins runnin along the waterways and along the big mississipp, the deer could be anywhere, and there are some bruts, the flood of 93 killed alot of timber, they have dozed alot down and planted new trees. if it were me i would find where the waterways and trees funnel together. no 4-wheelers are alowed, so the farther back you go the further you have to drag. a canoe would make your life easier for gettin one out from way back or along a waterway.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot. That reinforces what I have already marked on my maps. I just hope that the area doesn't get over run with the folks from the big city! I hadn't thought about taking the canoe along. Do you think it would be worth hauling it all the way up there? Thanks again.
U2U coming your way Hannibal

·
Registered
34 Posts
shanks

Ted Shanks was an awesome place before the flood.
There are still MANY deer there. You will have more trouble finding a safe tree for your stand than finding deer.
I would take your canoe and go to Horseshoe lake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've hunted Shanks a couple of times. There are a lot of hunters but most don't walk far and it's easy to spread out. If you have a boat try hunting the island just north of Dupont boat ramp. There's an old grown up field on the northern half of the island that can be really good hunting. Mosquitos are bad early season, bring a bug suit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.