Technology rant

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by Bowpredator, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    Many of you probably know, I dont think much of most new technology and frankly, I believe it is doing more harm than good to us in general. Look at the rate of obesity in this nation for example. Well, I just have to rant about this one.

We have a Ford F250 diesel and it started dying on us intermittently while driving down the road. We talked to a mechanic about it and he said with as intermittent as the problem was (only once every few hours or so) that if we could wait till it got a little worse or just died for good, it would be easier to locate and find. I agreed and the last time it did it darn near killed me. I was making a right hand turn onto a highway using the heel of my hand like most of us do when the truck died which immediately killed the power steering. The steering wheel slipped and the truck swerved over into the wrong lane with oncoming traffic. I was able to recover it in time and restart it as usual. Just got the word from the dealer repair shop that this was cause by some sensor that went bad. The design is that when this sensor detects whatever it is suppose to detect, it triggers the check engine light which kills the engine. There's nothing wrong with the actual engine mind you, just a faulty sensor that is telling my truck to shut off when it malfunctions. Brilliant design there on some pencil necked geek's part. Give me an engine, transmission, and a carberator any day. This new stuff sucks. Also had to get a window unit and door lock replaced as well. Didnt have those expensive problems with the good ole hand cranking windows.

I also have to just laugh every time I go to the bathroom at Walmart and wonder how much money they spend on those automatic water faucets to keep people from wasting water. I also wonder how much it costs them to replace them because about every other time I go in one, there is a faucet running full go with no one in there. It usually continues to run as I am walking out too, wasting water all by itself.

Even more brilliant on Walmart's part is their self check out monster machines. I'll bet them units cost a hefty penny so they could unemploy someone making minimum wage. They are always having problems with them and usually have one or 2 managers (probably making more than minimum wage) running around assisting customers with them. I refuse to use them.

:soapbox: Ok. I'm done for now. :D

2. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    You are just touching the very tip of the iceburg!!!!:wave:

:cheers::cheers:

3. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    DSG still says we are twins separated at birth BP. This post confirms it! :cheers:

DSG don't have time to rant along right at the present but know his spirit is here.

4. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Bowpredator, man I agree. Those self checkouts SUCK!! I've never had one work properly yet. Always have to get a clerk to finish up for me. What a pain in the :ass:

Jack

5. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    You want to see a bunch of Walmart employees get nervous and freak out, take a good heavy car battery to one of them and "accidentally" slam it down on their precious machine. ooops!

6. :cheers: I agree guys.

chad

7. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    :rotfl::rotfl: This is great.

I, for one, never have any problems with the self-checkout machines except that it flips out if you don't place your item on the bagging shelf or if it is too light for the shelf to sense it. Must be you old codgers not knowing how to use it!!! :rotfl: :cheers:

Although, I had never thought about the principle of not having to hire someone to run the checkout. THAT'S IT! Won't use them again. You have opened my eyes!

8. Fla_Guy

Fla_Guy Active Member

Dec 13, 2005
    NC
    Ever try buying beer at one of them self-checkouts? The lights flash, the bells ring, and you wait for someone to come over to card you! Never bother trying to use one to buy produce - looking up all the codes for apples, peppers, whatever...forget it.

9. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    I imagine it would be the same then for spray paint or super glue since you have to be a certain age to buy them too.

10. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    Oh, apparently I have made the technology gods mad because shortly after I posted this thread, I went outside to throw a bale of hay to some horses. My wife has a van with one of those remote keyless entries which has a panic button on it. (believe me, I wouldnt have it if it hadnt come with the van that we got a pretty good deal on. Using a key is something I am quite capable of doing) The bale of hay pushed against my pants pocket and you guessed it, set off the panic button on the van which naturally was right behind me. I dang near swung the bale of hay at the van when the horn started going off. Dang thing!

11. olshep

olshep New Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Antonia, Mo.
    You're so right BP! Too much has to be done the quick, easy, no effort way anymore. If these gas prices don't get real reasonable real quick, I may have to go back to the transportation technology you were throwing hay to.