Team 6 off to a good start

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by riverbottomhunter, Apr 24, 2006.

1. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I am having trouble downloading my pics at work so I'll get them posted tonight. Don't worry I got lots of them.
    Shot my bird at 6:30 this morning.
    spurs: 1 1/2 & 1 3/8
    Weight:23 lbs
    Beard: ( I need a official rulling on this one) The beard had been split years ago and new skin was groing between the 2 parts. Part 1 was 11" & part 2 was 10 1/2"
    I had 2 birds hit the ground & start strutting at 6:00. They finally made their way into range right around 6:30 when my bird came out of the timber spitting & druming about 10 yds away. After I shot I looked towards the other 2 birds and a 3rd mature tom had been heading my way.
    With out a dought the best turkey hunt I have ever been on.

2. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Good job rbh!!! Do you think it is a double bearder? My uncle and I went out this mornin, but we couldn't get anything working...only heard one tom gobbling on the roost, they shut up once they hit the ground. We made a couple of moves and saw that there were 2 big toms struttin, with 3 jakes taggin along, all behind countless hens...we just couldn't get the hens to come to a call....oh well, we'll try again tomorrow!!! Congrats!!!

3. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    decisions decisions, why can't i have decisions like which one to take. congrats.:cheers::cheers:

4. grimreaper8

grimreaper8 New Member

Sep 23, 2005
    congrats on a nice bird, im dreaminf of struttin toms right now cant wait to get out there

5. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    fireman,
    I personally consider it a double. It is diffinately parted when you look at it. It really looks like it was 1 beard years ago and got split then the skin grew between the 2 peices seperating it. Just can't wait to hear the official ruling on it.
    The birds where I was talked good in the trees, but also pretty much shut up once they hit the ground. Just an occasional gobble.

6. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    Alright then, pressures on the other two of us now to finish the job.

7. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    1 down 2 more to go for team 6 this week. The only downfall to shooting one first thing opening morning is that its going to be a long wait till next monday. Good news is I have got a couple friends that I am going to do some calling for this week on their farms and I am suppose to take a buddy of mines wife this weekend to their land since he has to work all weekend.

8. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    Allright!!!!! Sounds like a great hunt!!!! Congrats!!!!! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

9. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Forgot to mention a good ol parker turkey call sealed the deal on this bird.

10. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    finally got my camera working. Here is the field pic with the bird & I'll put the official pic on the Contest thread.

11. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

Nice job...AWESOME pic

12. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    That was my first ever attempt at self timing pics. Here is a pic of the split beard.

13. rmr

rmr New Member

Way to go Riverbottomhunter, sounds like you had a good day. My little brother scored too

14. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I heard he had a little luck this morning as well. How big was his?

15. rmr

rmr New Member

1 1/4 spurs weighed around 22.

16. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :eek: ALRIGHT! I can rest at ease now! As some of you may remember, I guaranteed a dead bird with this call this spring! :whip: GET ER DONE!

Geez RBH, that was so easy, you may be able to get that second bird with it too! :D

The birds in KS sure were responding to those calls. I'm going to get after a MO bird in the morning! :cheers:

Parker

17. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    RB congrats and a very fine bird!! Is the skin grown around both beards? If so and they are separated I'd say you have two beards. If you are worried take a pic and post it if you can.

Jack

18. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    Certainly looks seperated enough to be two beards.:eek:

19. Roscoe Dog

Roscoe Dog Active Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Maryland Heights,Mo
    I helped a little monday morning.
    17#
    1- 6 inch beard
    1- 2 inch beard
    3/4 inch spurs
    Taken monday morning at 6:40 useing a homemade box call, Mossberg 500, Winchester turkey supremes #5. I dont have a didital camera or scanner so when I get the pictures developed I will have to send them to someone to post them.