Team 10

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by talonfoe, Sep 15, 2013.

1. talonfoe

talonfoe New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    NE Mo
    Gonna try after wife/son get off work. Was out about 1 hr this A.M. 1 doe beds near creek bottom on rose. Blows almost everytime I go sit AM. She did this AM but was 1/2 hearted Like she wasn't sure. Wind was in my favor. Hope it stays in my favor

2. talonfoe

talonfoe New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    NE Mo
    Farmers cut some hay last couple days. Baled last night. Great scent blocker. Sat near a bale this AM. A doe and fawn came out 60 yds behind me. Never winded me but another doe turned em around when she was crossing perpendicular to them 100 yds off. 1st morning NOTHING busted me.

This was a large buck close in timber. Made heck of a racket and got all crows screaming.

If they don't pull the bales I will sit at a different tomorrow morning better place to intercept.
    might use some extra hay baler didn't get to build up against bale.:D

3. FatDan

FatDan Active Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Kansas City North
    Sun. morning, 3 doe's with there fawns about 50 yards on neighbors side of fence. Sun. evening, same three doe and fawn group this time in range and would have put us on the board except the only decent buck I have on camera in this spot was about 60 yards up the ridge from me so I didn't want to blow a shot at him. He looked like he was eating acorns because his head was to the ground up there for about 20 minutes although I haven't seen any acorns on the ground or the trees on this ridge. I guess he found something else up there he likes. All and all exciting evening not sure I'm going to shoot this deer or not yet I need to see him a little better because even in the pics. I can't tell if he's 3 or 4 and I don't shoot until there at least 4. He's probably a 140" main frame 10 with a little junk growing off of his brow's that if shot should add a few bonus points for our team.

4. talonfoe

talonfoe New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    NE Mo
    Tried scout/walking another 80 I haven't been on yet I have permission to hunt. Didn't see anything on site but saw 3-4 does 75 ish yrds outside of area. Need really get out some time and toss up a couple homemade stands over there. Old farmer don't care what I do as long as I don't mess with the cattle.

On top of this I think I have a few deer bedding down behind the barn. No cam so I can't tell 100%. There are coyotes in that area as well pulling old bones from last years carcasses. Need find a cheap cam on the sly so wife won't catch me. Maybe build a 2x4 platform and wire to barn for observation. And maybe target practice.

Gonna look real hard into cam I been wanting 1 for a couple years since I have 100's of hunting acres and not a lot of time to scout really.

5. Big_Bullseye

Big_Bullseye Honey Badger Phat Sack

Nov 2, 2004
    Franklin County
    I went out Friday, Saturday and Sunday night and hunted three different farms. Few doe, nothing in range. Put my son on a freshly shelled corn field in a great stand Saturday and he saw a load of deer but nothing he wanted to take. He is 20 now so he is bit more picky with the horns.

I forgot to spray my pants and now I am covered with seed tick bites on my legs. Heading out town for work the rest of the week for some golf and trap shooting in the Pennsylvania mountains.

back at it this weekend...

6. talonfoe

talonfoe New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    NE Mo
    Wife has day off. Gonna try longer AM sit. Yesterday nothing in field but doe came from under my stand as I drove down the road. Always wrong place wrong time it seems. Got a trail cam gonna set up later, and try a little different tactic next few days. And truck tried dien on me today but I caught it in time.

7. talonfoe

talonfoe New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    NE Mo
    Might have good news in the morning. Stuck a mature doe from ground. Acted funny went back to eating but huffing real bad and licking nose over and over (Blood I hope). Wasn't sure I hit her good went to get my arrow and she did go into brush. Found arrow, blood a little hair and either fat or other whitish tissues on it (Fat?)

Was real close to dark so I'll be checking in the am.
    I know she went to the creek bed. Opposite bank is mostly 8-10 ft high almost sheer. So hoping I can walk it and find her tomorrow.

Was 2 smaller does and a spike and fork in the field. The young bucks were play sparring. Maybe that time soon.....

8. talonfoe

talonfoe New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    NE Mo
    Update. Unfortunately got to wet last night. Found what I think are her tracks but lost in heavy brush. Way to wet for any type of blood to be left. Sorry to disappoint and moreso that I was not able to recover.

9. Big_Bullseye

Nov 2, 2004
    Franklin County
    Just got in the stand. This is where my son saw 9 doe last Saturday.

[​IMG]

10. X Bow T

X Bow T Original Cafe'Member

Nov 21, 2002
    N & S of the MO
    looks like a nice spot, at least you guys are out there,
    my time should be coming this weekend I have to drive to calhoun GA to pick up 4 wheeler, from buddy who will be stuck in hong kong all season, how bummed we are. and lost my KY lake barley honey hole...somethin good

11. Big_Bullseye

Nov 2, 2004
    Franklin County
    Two deer were seen last night, a 4 pointer and a spike. No skinheads which is what I was hoping for.

Going back to the same spot tonight.

12. X Bow T

Nov 21, 2002
    N & S of the MO
    my bro hunted my spot last night has a yote come up and eating the persimmons, no shot to thick, i'll get a crack soon.!

13. talonfoe

talonfoe New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    NE Mo
    gonna sit where I shot that doe, other nite. 2 reasons, 1 see if I bumped em from area, 2 see if she is still around. Hope I was just a reallt bad hit and not fatal.

14. FatDan

FatDan Active Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Kansas City North
    [rquote=2958656&tid=204335&author=talonfoe]gonna sit where I shot that doe, other nite. 2 reasons, 1 see if I bumped em from area, 2 see if she is still around. Hope I was just a reallt bad hit and not fatal.[/rquote]

Did I read your post correctly did she stand there and continue to eat after you shot her? If that's the case I would say there's a chance she's still around.

15. Big_Bullseye

Nov 2, 2004
    Franklin County
    I got perfect wind in my face tonight. Really nice out.

16. Big_Bullseye

Nov 2, 2004
    Franklin County
    Saw 5 doe, one got to within 61 yards but no closer. Prolly won't hunt again until next week sometime as I am going to Dallas for the weekend to watch he Cowboys get beat by Denver.

Good luck fellas.

17. talonfoe

talonfoe New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    NE Mo
    [rquote=2958710&tid=204335&author=FatDan][rquote=2958656&tid=204335&author=talonfoe]gonna sit where I shot that doe, other nite. 2 reasons, 1 see if I bumped em from area, 2 see if she is still around. Hope I was just a reallt bad hit and not fatal.[/rquote]

Did I read your post correctly did she stand there and continue to eat after you shot her? If that's the case I would say there's a chance she's still around.[/rquote]

Yeah that's what threw me off. Wasn't even sure I hit her, but could swear I did. She ran about 50 yds. Stopped still in field and looked to be browsing. Was huffing heavy and kept licking her nostrils. When I went out and grabbed my bolt she spooked. Arrow was 1/2 covered in blood, and white tissue. Maybe the shot wasn't vital but arrow was definitely bloody. None of the deer were in the field I saw tonight. But only checked a couple times from the yard with 4x16 scope.

On a side note, any1 else notice the smaller bucks starting to spar a bit? Same nite I hit the doe the spike and fork were starting to knock horns.

18. Big_Bullseye

Nov 2, 2004
    Franklin County
    Just out of curiosity, how long have you been bow hunting talonfoe?

How many bow kills do you have under your belt?

19. FatDan

FatDan Active Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Kansas City North
    What's up guys haven't heard anything in a while. Been out a handfull of times and haven't had anything in range. For some reason my 50+ oak trees have no acorns so I sit in my stand and watch them with bino's eating the acorns off the ground across the neighbors field. Hopefully when those acorns are all gone and they start thinking about something other than food in a couple weeks they will get back to normal patterns and I can put us on the board. Talonfoe hope you didn't take offence I was just trying to understand how that hunt went down.

20. X Bow T

Nov 21, 2002
    N & S of the MO
    Sliding on acorns.

Wow I'm surprised. The acorns in my area are deeper than I ever seen, most of the persimmons are gone and my clover is nonexistent. I Had a doe wake me up Sun am, (no sleep, but made it to camp safe). She stood about 15 yards behind me up the hill. I grabbed the Xbow and swung 180, but couldn't get a dot on her b/c of the elevation. She blew and bounded away. Then stomped her way back to me, for another bobbin' look. I didn't have a shot, but she sure looked nice & healthy.
    My woods will be tough as always, but here's to some good luck for us all...:cheers: