Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a chance to get out on the water yesterday afternoon to do some fishing. Pulled this one out on an ultralight with a Wooly Beavertail jig. Black body, chartreuse split tail with a pink jig head. Took him home and stuck him in the freezer. The pics don't do justice. He was a HOG!! This is the biggest one I have ever caught. He measured 17" long, and had a 14.5" girth. I weighed him with two different scales. He topped off at 4 lbs 5.8 oz. Bad part is the dent behind his head. Does anyone know if a taxidermist can fix that?? Who do you all suggest to mount it??

Attachments

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,223 Posts
8 point does taxidermy and he came by with my son's pheasant at the 3-D shoot. He said with fish, the best thing to do to keep it is rub borax everywhere on it even the gills and mouth before you put it in the freezer.

I'd send him a U2U and ask him. He's been pretty busy, so I don't know if he'll get back to you right away or not.

·
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just made sure he was clean and wrapped him flat with all fins and gills, etc flat in a wet towel and then again in a heavy duty trashbag. I had directions from somewhere to do that. I don't plan on keeping him frozen for long if I can find a decent taxidermist that can mount him and fix the dent. I am not sure what it is except maybe an injury. I caught a 7+ lb bass a few years ago that was the same way. I didn't mount him though. Figures, the biggest fish of both species that I have ever caught have the same dent behind their head.

·
Registered
70,355 Posts
I had a guy that works out of 40 Woods Bait and Tackle out in Blue Springs do my last fish. Great job too. It is at the intersection of 40 hiway and Woods Chapel road. The phone number is 816-229-6818. This was a few years back and it still looks like it just came out of the water.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Nice, congrats. My 2 cents would leave it as it was caught.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.