Taurus Judge?

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by rh44mag, Nov 3, 2010.

1. rh44mag

rh44mag Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Independence
    I think my father is having a senior moment. He has a minty snub nose ruger security six 357 he bought new in the mid 70's. He wants to sell the ruger and buy a judge for home defense. I am thinking of picking up a judge just to trade him. From what I have read the only way a judge is good for defense is with 45lc. What experience does anybody have with a judge?

Parent, you can't do anything with them.:D

2. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Mar 1, 2005
    St. Peters, MO
    At "across the room" distances, the 410 buck or bird shot should work perfectly fine from reviews I've read.

The 3" chamber would be what I'd get

I wouldn't trade a gun I've owned for 30+ years though :02:

3. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    No experience but Winchester makes a good defence round for the judge in 410. It has 3 flat pellets and several round pellets under them. At 15 yds it tore a target up pretty good.

But I'm like you. I would buy the judge and swap him for the Ruger. I would love to have a snubbie Security Six!!!

4. MJO21

MJO21 Active Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Union, MO
    One of the gun shows on the outdoor network did some testing with the Judge verses some home security calibers. They were firing through drywall to see effectiveness. There was no doubt that the bullets were better at penetration, but the Judge was good through one hollow wall. The pattern was spread enough to be effective at I believe 20 feet and still did some real damage. If I remember correctly they were shooing 3" buck shot with pellets behind it.

If I was buying new for myself the Judge would be my first choice, would also double as a great snake gun. If I have had a gun for 30+ (or 10+ for that matter) there is no way I would get rid of it.

MJO

MJO

5. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    I was actually pretty impressed with the pattern of the .410 shot at about 15 yards. Shot one at the G2G a couple of years back. Nobody argues that a shotgun is the ultimate for home defense, just a bit cumbersome in tight areas, the Judge elimanates that :2thumbsup:

6. rh44mag

rh44mag Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Independence
    I just looked up the winchester pdx1 ammo for the jugde. It is pretty impressive. It has 3 round discs that are large enough to contact the rifling to make the accurate over #4 bird shot. It looks like it could really get the job done. I really have no desire for a judge but after seeing the winchester ammo I will be alot more supprotive of dads decision. It is not that he wants to get rid of the ruger but it is the only way he can afford it. That is my secondary reason for wanting to trade him. If he gets the judge and decided he made a mistake I would trade him back and resell the taurus. No harm no foul.

7. dodge

dodge Active Member

Oct 8, 2010
    cedar hill, mo
    The pdx1 ammo does look good

8. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    [rquote=1877775&tid=130780&author=MoBowman]...Nobody argues that a shotgun is the ultimate for home defense, just a bit cumbersome in tight areas, the Judge elimanates that :2thumbsup:[/rquote]

Don't confuse The Judge with a real shotgun, geezz... :rof2:

9. conradtactical

conradtactical New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Jefferson County, MO
    I have the Judge, the 3" chamber and 3" barrel and LOVE IT.

10. cshoff

cshoff New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Gasconade County
    The Judge would be one of my last choices for a personal protection gun. There are so many other handguns out there that are so much better suited for that task, that The Judge wouldn't even be a consideration in my top 20 list.

11. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    [rquote=1878626&tid=130780&author=cshoff]The Judge would be one of my last choices for a personal protection gun. There are so many other handguns out there that are so much better suited for that task, that The Judge wouldn't even be a consideration in my top 20 list. [/rquote]

Yeah, what he said.:2thumbsup:except it wouldn't make my top 100 list.

12. cshoff

cshoff New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Gasconade County
    [rquote=1878702&tid=130780&author=glennasher1][rquote=1878626&tid=130780&author=cshoff]The Judge would be one of my last choices for a personal protection gun. There are so many other handguns out there that are so much better suited for that task, that The Judge wouldn't even be a consideration in my top 20 list. [/rquote]

Yeah, what he said.:2thumbsup:except it wouldn't make my top 100 list.[/rquote]

Cash poor people like me don't have lists that long. :D

13. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    I wanna hear about your top 5!

Parker

14. cshoff

cshoff New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Gasconade County
    [rquote=1878817&tid=130780&author=Parker]I wanna hear about your top 5!

Parker[/rquote]

My top 5 home defense handguns?

15. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    [rquote=1878828&tid=130780&author=cshoff][rquote=1878817&tid=130780&author=Parker]I wanna hear about your top 5!

Parker[/rquote]

My top 5 home defense handguns? [/rquote]

:cheers: Yep! Well, how about all around defense handguns......home, cc, vehicle, etc.

Parker

16. cshoff

cshoff New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Gasconade County
    [rquote=1878857&tid=130780&author=Parker][rquote=1878828&tid=130780&author=cshoff][rquote=1878817&tid=130780&author=Parker]I wanna hear about your top 5!

Parker[/rquote]

My top 5 home defense handguns? [/rquote]

:cheers: Yep! Well, how about all around defense handguns......home, cc, vehicle, etc.

Parker[/rquote]

Well, I don't really have some elaborate list. For my money and for MY specific situation, I prefer a large bore (.40 S&W or .45 ACP), high-capacity semi-automatic, of a "compact" size (smaller than a duty-sized pistol), with no external safety levers or devices. You can take your pick of different "flavors", but something along the lines of a Glock 23, a M&P40 or M&P40c, or a S&W Sigma or SD40 fits the bill quite nicely as a all-purpose defensive handgun, IMO.

All of them have a fairly substantial ammunition capacity, they are all in a caliber that has a huge variety of premium defense ammunition available as well as a long track record of successful use in defensive situations, none of them are encumbered by a "off/on" switch that has to be manipulated during the stress of a lethal force encounter, all of them are of a physical size that makes them easily concealable while still being large enough to easily to train with, and all of them use a proven, reliable firing system.

17. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :eek:: Good stuff! Thanks for the info! :cheers:

Parker

18. Cook

Cook Well-Known Member

May 28, 2003
    No experience with the judge,but I've shot 410 shotguns before.For me,a 12 or 20 was far easier to hit something.and packed a bigger punch.Also,I'm sure there are some,but I have never seen a 410 tricked out or set up for home defense,or at least no one admits it.
    I honestly don't see the advantage of 410 over the 357.plus I think the judge is only a 5 shot.
    If he is only loading it with 45LC,then just get a 45LC?

Just my opinion,no real world experience,but I don't see the judge being"better" than a 357,but its better than a .22
    His money his choice...your a good son thinking about getting one and trading him for it.Hold on to it incase he changes his mind.

19. Monofletch

Monofletch Senior Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Midwest