Taurus Judge owners I have a question

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Skduckhunt, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    Guys, I have a buddy with Parkinson's. He has implants in his noggin to help steady his gait. The power packs are subcutetaneously placed in his chest. He hunts deer with a 41 magnum revolver. I am wondering if the straight stack (unchoked) barrel on the judge would give a pattern that is similar shot after shot. Could a turkey be killed at 8-12 yard with this 3in chambered hand gun. I have never shot one either 2.5 or 3.0 inch...

2. STTH

STTH Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Turd Crick North
    I would not recommend the 2.5" for sure, I would think a gas operated 20 auto would be soft enough to handle and be much better.

3. No,the twist in the barrel shreads the wad and the pattern will not kill a turkey.The wad falls at you feet.

4. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    NO... The rifling spins the shot wide and destroys patterns. The velocity of the pellets from the short barrel is very low, there's not much energy for penetration left at ten yards in a #6 pellet that only starts at 700 fps. And the strewn out pattern means not many pellets are going to hit vitals. Surely your friend can manage a .410 shotgun with a full choke? As weak as the little .410 shotgun is, it's miles ahead of the Judge.

trappermark likes this.
  5. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    He can not place a stock on his shoulder as the power pack are placed under the skin there. A pistol is his only opp. Maybe the new 870 defender with hand stock. But he would want to aim not spray at the bird.

6. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    Shoot from the left side?

7. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    There is a power pack on each side

8. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    The leads are placed in his brain above and behind his ear on both sides. The surgery cost him a turkey season a couple of years ago

9. techteacher

techteacher Land buying addiction Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Troy,
    You could shoot mine and see what you think.

10. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    Thank you Ben, ill ask him.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  11. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    Have you shot it with #6s, how does it pattern?

12. farmnhunt

farmnhunt Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    I would think a blind, a 20gauge with a pistol grip, red dot with added weight to reduce recoil and mount it to a tripod shooting or shooting rest would provide a better option. And all these added together will probably cost less than a Judge.

Hooks, 67Firebird and Skduckhunt like this.
  13. All over the place

Skduckhunt likes this.
  14. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    I have a blind and building another on a trailer...I know he would rather be hunting than fishing when the rest of us are in the woods. thanks for all the thoughts and ideas. I traded off my only 20 gauge...

15. swat1018

swat1018 Active Member

Jan 1, 2013
    LaBelle
    Crossbow?

16. 170BC

170BC Active Member

Jun 27, 2014
    What about a contender don't they have some kind of screw on ckoke ? Still rifled and I don't know how they do with 410 out of 45 barrel but they did sell them .

17. nastyjack63

nastyjack63 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2006
    osage county
    My thoughts as well. Set up a blind, crossbow in a field pod and have a 30 yard weapon for him.

18. huntinmo

huntinmo Active Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Jefferson County
    Those revolvers with five chambers that will hold shotgun shells are probably prohibited anyway. Per the regs:
    • Shotguns capable of holding more than three shells in magazine and chamber combined are prohibited.

19. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    I have a Caldwell Field Pod you can borrow . Had good luck with this combo and some padding behind the stock for both my girls shooting a light load low brass # 6's out of a 20g