tarsal glands

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by cisco, Nov 1, 2010.

1. cisco

cisco New Member

May 24, 2005
    Arnold, MO
    Do any of you guys use the tarsal glands from bucks that you killed last year (kept frozen of course)? If so, how do you use them and do they work?

2. suddenincline

suddenincline New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Foristell, MO
    I just drag them or hang them close to the ground on a tree or something near your hunting spot....Can't say really if it works or not hunting seems to be just as good with out them to.

3. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    no but Ive went to the local check in station and cut off the fresh ones from someone elses buck that was just brought in. Cant say it ever did anything for me but I have done it.

4. hollercaller

hollercaller New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    I've used them with interesting results. I set out the tarsals from a buck killed by a friend. Over the course of a 4 hr sit I had probably 6-8 does, and 2 button bucks come in and check them out. Two of the does even bedded down within bow range as if they were waiting for ol' bigdaddy to come back. The most interesting thing was that I never saw another buck from that stand all year. Not sure if it was cause/effect, but definately worth noting.

5. 150

150 New Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Saint James MO
    I have had good success cutting them off of fresh road kill bucks. I have only done this a couple of times, but both times I had bucks show up at the gland that was hanging on a limb and put there nose to it.
    It can't hurt for you to try.