Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
21,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See so many Bow Fishing for Carp anymore which is fun.

I enjoy using Medium Action Rods with 12 pound test line just fishing for them.

You will not find a harder fighting fish and most the time you can release them if you want because you will hook them in the mouth.

They are easy to fish for and hard fighters just saying. Since I guess most fish anymore just for fun and not food. Lot less invested than other fishing and fun.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin likes fun.

· Registered
8,049 Posts
Garden fertilizer

· Registered
70,866 Posts
There used to be a pay fishing lake in East Independence at 40 highway and 470 called Mirror Lakes. They had two lakes. One carp and one catfish. If you wanted to keep your catch you paid by the pound. I used to fish the carp lake every Friday night catch and release for me anyways. I used my light weight crappie pole with 6 lb line and dough bait. Hauled in a bunch every trip. I had other fishermen that ran to me when I would make a hook up because I'd give them my catch. Believe me a 25 lb carp will spool a little Mitchel 308 with 6 lb line real quick. Now its a community lake surrounded by $300,000 homes....and no fishing allowed unless you were a home owner. I do have my fond memories that no Home Owners Association can take away from me.

· Registered
21,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Use to be Carp Pay Lakes all over the state.

How many keep Tarpon they pay thousands to fish for?

oneshot

:D The Big Grin fishes for small fish.

· Banned
81,617 Posts
I have had some fun hook ups with carp. Usually fishing for cats. They do put up a fight .

· Part-time malcontent
8,455 Posts

· Registered
Fly rod!
4,234 Posts
I wish I could figure out how to catch them consistantly. Never caught one when fishing for them, but catch one occasionally while fishing for other fish. Only fish we keep are crappie or walleye anyway... but I sure like catching carp. Fun fight. Any tips are welcome!

· King of Callaway
43,375 Posts
I wish I could figure out how to catch them consistantly. Never caught one when fishing for them, but catch one occasionally while fishing for other fish. Only fish we keep are crappie or walleye anyway... but I sure like catching carp. Fun fight. Any tips are welcome!
We always "baited" up a hole usually in the Auxvasse creek, start by putting corn in a bucket top it with water let it sit in the sun a few days then day before you fish sling out a few coffee cans full, next day show up sling another coffee can full out and bait up with canned corn (that sour corn smell is a pass for getting on my hands). Hang on to the rod.

One of my favorite memories I was prolly 18, was doing this and dad came down asked if he could join, I said sure. Handed him a rod that I knew the reel only had one gear left at best. 10 Minutes later he hooked a nice one, was reeling for all he was worth and getting no where, even feel over backwards trying to back up so he could gain ground on that fish. Was quiet the show till the line broke, I'm 34 now, I think he's almost over it. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

· Registered
21,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I mix up a stiff Mush, Cornmeal and Blackstrap Molasses. Number 4 Treble Hook with no weight

Might throw few small balls of bait out.

Make sure Rods are in Holders.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin just catches them with her mouth.

Reactions: manitou1

· Registered
21,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Going to have to give it a try this summer. I really want to catch a few on a fly rod too.
Thanks!
Ones I've heard of using a Flyrod tie something that looks like a Mulberry go under the trees when they are ripe.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin likes Mulberry Pie.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.