Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
possibly found a new cape. What are some of the best ways to do a cape so it doesn't loose hair and will last.
Last time I tried Lutant F on the cape.
I caped out the deer and put salt on it for 24 hours and cleaned that salt off and covered it in salt for another 48 hours. Then I used there pickling which I have some left and used the ph papers and I think it needed to be at 2.5 and let it soak for 72 hours like the directions say. Then after that I rinsed it and use there tanning solution and left it on my cape for about 24 hours. Wiped it down and froze it for about 3 to 4 months and it seemed to fall apart at the ears more than anywhere else. So any suggestions on how someone else does it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
I got some 1 hour tan from van *****. you just flesh the hide realy well, salt it down thick and let set for 24 hours make sure hide is dry and hard, mix solution and check ph, it says 1-3 hours I would let set about 3 hours and then pull out and let hang dry. I done a coyote, ****, pelt. along with mounting a **** shoulder mount and a whitetail mount and no hair has slipped. (knock on wood)

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
my fault:wink:
It came from
authentic taxidermy supply co.
3568 lamar ave #2
memphis Tn 38118

phone number 901-365-8101
sorry I got my mount kits from vandykes thats how I got confused. I'm not sure if authentic taxidermy has a web site but they can send you a catalog if you call em.

·
Registered
12 Posts
jtbowhunter,

from your description of what you did, these things might help you next time: 1) try to keep your pH of your acid pickle solution below 2.0. 2) Did you neutralize your hide before you tanned it? Before you tan the hide, you need to neutralize it (bring the pH back up). This will allow your hide to accept the tan. To neutralize, take your skin out of the pickle, rinse it QUICKLY (not a bath, just a quick rinse---if you immerse the skin in water for too long in its acid state, you will get acid swell, which can make your skin fall apart---i just rinse it quickly with the garden hose:roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2:), let it hang for about an hour. While it is draining, mix 1 ounce (by weight) of baking soda per 1 gallon of water---this is your neutralizing solution. Use enough water to completely cover the skin. Put the hide in this for 20 minutes, stirring it around constantly to insure that it is getting to all parts of the hide. Go for at least 20 minutes, but don't try to go much longer than that, as over neutralizing can have some ill effects, too. After 20 minutes, pull the hide, rinse quickly again and hang it to drain for about an hour. Now follow your tanning directions. 3) Also, sometimes during skinning and messing with the hide before salting, the heat from your hands can cause some parts of the hide to produce bacteria enough that it will cause hair slippage---ears seem to be the "popular" spot for this! Anyway, hope these things help. Also, if you get the chance, try using EZ-100 as your tanning agent sometime. It is supposed to be more environmentally safe and is much safer for you personally than Lutan-F. I have used both, and one does as good as the other, but I think EZ-100 is much safer. It is made by Bruce Rittel, you can find it in most taxidermy catalogs, and he is always willing to answer any questions that you might have. Oh, one other thing---the directions might say leave in the tan for 24 hours, but most everything that I have read says that with EZ-100 and lutan-F, 16-18 hours should be enough---anyway, that's what I do and have had good results. Hope this helps. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.