Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am totally new to trout fishing - I have mostly fished for bass, crappie and catfish for the past 25 years. Would Taney be a good place to try during the 3rd weekend in January. I was considering bringing my boat down with a couple friends to see how we can do?

I appreciate your time, thought and knowledge. Hope everyone has had a good year and is looking forward to Christmas here in the next week!

Thanks.
Jeff

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Yep it sure would be a good time late jan is my favorite time to fish the como have fun be careful awfully cold down there that time of year

·
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Timmy - thanks. Do you go down there to fish every year?

Originally posted by timmytaters17
Yep it sure would be a good time late jan is my favorite time to fish the como have fun be careful awfully cold down there that time of year

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
we go alot to the como in jan and feb we will be there in first week of feb if the water is runnin good times we fish them all kinds of ways drift power bait throw cleo spoons at them rapalas at them or go to the dam at night and if water is runnin get out them jerk baits very cold but worth it

·
Lunch break commander
8,344 Posts
I love to fish just below the dam. no boats but the fishing is good while wading providing they are not running a bunch of water. I hear the spin fishing is great but I have only fly fished while at tanny. If the big fish that bread in oct are still haning around they should be hungry.

great place. with evey cast you could hook the next record.

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
Are you just looking to catch some trout for the freezer or are you wanting to target some bigger fish? We've always had good luck drifting night crawlers and rainbow power bait from a boat if the water is running. If the water isn't running, we usually would just sit on the Lazy Valley dock and tight line with the same baits and pick up our limits.

The trophy area above fall creek is a blast to fish a jig below a float. The fish are usually within the 12-20" slot up there and fat as a pig with lots of colors. If you just want to catch a bunch of nice fish, this is where you want to go. You can still keep the trout in the trophy area, but they have to either be shorter than 12" or longer than 20".

Dad was talking to me earlier today about making a trip down there sometime during January/February. I'll have to go dust off the trout rods and get them ready.

·
2,842 Posts
We fished Table Rock last Feb looking for some big pre spawn spots. Weather was horrible and so was the fishing. So, we took my buddies Triton to Taney, we smoked the trout on jerkbaits. We would run all the way to the dam and drift back to bass pro shops the do it again. It was a blast. I used to do the same thing in Arkansas on the little red. Very easy way to catch some nice fish. Lots of work, and your forearms will get tired, but those trout fight good in the current.

·
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the information - it sounds like it is a really good place to go since duck season and goose season will be finished.

I am going to have a ton of questions for you guys regarding tackle and lures. When you talk about jerkbaits are you talking about the stick baits, like Smithwick's crank baits - or are you talking about the plastic baits?

I am bring my boat down to try and find some good spots. I am planning on using my two ultralight set-ups - with 4lbs mono - is there any new line out that seems to be better than magnathin?

I do not have any lures or anything for trout yet - so I have a couple weekends to stock up before we head down there.

Thanks again for all you guys time and knowledge - I sure appreciate it! You have a wealth of information and stories I am sure!

I owe you! Jeff

·
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seth - the group I am going with has a little one day tournament, so that day it is all about the quantity of fish caught. The other two days I would like to go after a trophy fish - not unless I can come up with another freezer in the next two weeks. I just stuffed three deer on top of my crappie and everything else from this past year - and there is hardly any room left! laughing...

Originally posted by seth_turner_04
Are you just looking to catch some trout for the freezer or are you wanting to target some bigger fish? We've always had good luck drifting night crawlers and rainbow power bait from a boat if the water is running. If the water isn't running, we usually would just sit on the Lazy Valley dock and tight line with the same baits and pick up our limits.

The trophy area above fall creek is a blast to fish a jig below a float. The fish are usually within the 12-20" slot up there and fat as a pig with lots of colors. If you just want to catch a bunch of nice fish, this is where you want to go. You can still keep the trout in the trophy area, but they have to either be shorter than 12" or longer than 20".

Dad was talking to me earlier today about making a trip down there sometime during January/February. I'll have to go dust off the trout rods and get them ready.

·
2,842 Posts
We used our bass fishing tackle, no ultra lights. And yes jerkbaits like smithwick rougues, lucky craft, bomber's. If you are using an ultra light, the jig n bobber combo is probably a good thing to use. I don't have any expeience with that technique. I have seen people do well with it though. You can always use little cleo silver spoons and roostertails and mepps spinners.

·
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ranger - thanks! I did not realize I could use my bass tackle there, so I will definitely be ready with both. I guess it also depends on if they are aggressive or not.

Originally posted by rangerdvr
We used our bass fishing tackle, no ultra lights. And yes jerkbaits like smithwick rougues, lucky craft, bomber's. If you are using an ultra light, the jig n bobber combo is probably a good thing to use. I don't have any expeience with that technique. I have seen people do well with it though. You can always use little cleo silver spoons and roostertails and mepps spinners.

·
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that is awesome! I just sold my champion bass boat - now I have a nice big river john boat we are planning on using.

·
Registered
17,097 Posts
Hmmmmmmm..... im only 40 minutes from taneycomo... My brother lives in Reed Springs.....
Maybe we should make it a GtG......:cheers:

·
2,842 Posts
That will work, make sure you have your trolling motor ready, when the current is moving, its a ride. We did the best on back side of boat docks, and in between slips. It requires accurate casting and good boat control. Those big fish hang out under the docks and behind log jams. The bluff type banks held real good fish too.

·
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My brother in-law and I have been invited with a group that has been going down there for 10 years or something. We are the odd ones out so far - I took a couple of the guys who set-up it up duck hunting. My brother and a couple of his friends tried to get a cabin at the resort the weekend of the 16th and they are already completely booked up.

I heard it could be great fishing - so I am anxious to see how things go.
Originally posted by Gakic24
Hmmmmmmm..... im only 40 minutes from taneycomo... My brother lives in Reed Springs.....
Maybe we should make it a GtG......:cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts