Talk Turkey with me...... some more!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Alaskageek, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Alaskageek

Alaskageek New Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Howdy fellow Gobbler Grunts!!!

My first post went so amazing, figured I'd start a second one. Also, there was so much great information given in the last one, it got pretty long, so didn't want new information to get buried at the end of it. Been spending as much time as possible the last few weeks, researching, thinking about, and trying to sound like Turkey and have come up with what I think are some good "newbie" questions.

Scent and Wind - While I'm sure they both play a factor in hunting turkey, are they as big a factor as they are when you are deer/elk/moose hunting? Should you use scent lock clothing and scent killing spray? What about insect repellent? Are the ticks and chiggers out during spring Turkey?

Walking in EARLY! - Looks like the dream sequence is, roost a turkey night before, then get in early early the next morning and setup. On the walk in, pre sun up, can you use a flashlight/head lamp to help see where you are going, or will that spook the roosted bird? Once you get setup, and have waited for the woods to calm down, should you use a locator call to try and verify the bird that you roosted last night is still around? Do birds move from roost to roost at night?

Corps Land - If accessing by road, if there is no pull off to park your vehicle, can you just pull off the road (where able) out of traffic flow and park? If accessing by boat, is it ok to land your boat on the shore and walk in? What about camping? Could you say boat into an area, and setup a basic camp and hang out for a few days? Or, say you roosted a turkey one evening while out crappie fishing, could you say sleep in your boat (or some other small quick shelter) overnight and go after him in the AM? What about campfires in both situations?

Boat motors - If you can't tell, I'm really used to using a boat to get where I need to hunt (thanks to all the years in AK). Does the sound of an outboard bother turkeys? Thinking about how to "sneak" into spots early in the morning. Would it be better to cut your outboard 100 yards off your landing sight and use trolling motor, paddle and momentum to get beached? Can't shoot from a boat at all, right?

Terrian - since I'm looking at mostly land that is right next to rivers/lakes, how does that factor in when evaluating and area? Does the presence of a big body of water cause a predicable movement on turkeys? Usually towards the water, away from the water? Does it depend on the topo of the area and how the land enters the water...... steep bluff or gentle slope?

Camo - Most of what I have is Mossy Oak Break up. Will that work for spring foliage in central MO? Seems that Mossy Oak Obsession is the color craze right now.

Thanks for taking the time to read (and hopefully respond to) this thread. :)

2. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Scent and Wind-Forget scent but a turkey prefers to walk into the wind (they say they don't like their feathers getting ruffled). Use a bug spray with peremthrin on your clothes.

Walking In Early-I prefer not to use a light, some people have fine luck I haven't. I go so far as to shut off my headlights when I pull through the farm gate. Personally I'll go in after they start gobbling over using a light. They will talk before they fly out normally and if I'm within 200 yards of him and hopefully uphill and upwind I'm in a good spot.

Corps Land-As far as I know that is correct, and that is what I do if there is no designated parking spots within a reasonable distance.

Boat Motors-Turks don't seem to mind them too much from what I've seen. However I wouldn't try to get right up on a bird with the motor either. I'm sure someone with more experience will answer.

Terrain-I don't know for sure but it does seem to me there are always a lot of birds near big lakes.

Camo-I have killed birds in a the old army camo pants and a brown pull over. However if I'm hunting a field I don't sit at the edge, I'll sit 5-10 yards off it in the brush. In the timber just hold still, movement is what gets you busted. Mostly when you were calling to one bird and a second that never made a peep comes sneaking in.

FBastiat, Alaskageek and 20' like this.

3. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    I would say absolutely NO on the flashlight!

Scent free is not needed, but nothing wrong with it as it is not ideal to have a deer blowing at you when a gobbler was near

Alaskageek and fishshooter like this.
  4. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter I'm not crazy, I just want it more than you.

didn't see your first post, but if its as amazing as your avatar pic, id be very impressed

Alaskageek likes this.
  5. beardsNspurs78

beardsNspurs78 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2008
    Philly, MO
    No....dont use a light. The only exception to this, and this is still a big maybe, would be if I was getting set up a few hours before daylight. And I agree with fishy....if you feel you must use a light to navigate the woods....I'd rather wait to move in til after its daylight. Just do not be crossing an open field in any kind of light with turkeys roosted on the edges. If you go in after daylight you wont be able to set up as closely to roosted birds but thats much better than blowing them off the roost. Turkeys will usually roost in the same general area during the spring. Another option would be to sit back and watch on the first morning. Mark where they are roosted, where they enter a field, where they go after the hens leave them midmorning, etc. Then go back in early afternoon and, using the info you noted earlier, make you a hidey hole with sticks and brush that you will be able to find in the dark the following morning. And be certain you can find it in the dark. Turkeys are forgiving of movement (not flashlights) before daylight and get less forgiving the closer to daylight it gets. I cant tell you how many times my brother and I have set up way before daylight only to discover we've set up within shotgun range of roosted gobblers. Only reason we got away with it was because we got in quiet and we got in early.

Scent control isn't at all necessary to turkey hunt. Some bug spray might be in order however as ticks and chiggers could both be out depending on how the spring weather has been. The previous weeks weather will also help you pick which camo to wear. If its been warm and the foliage is already out.....wear something more green. If its been cold and the foliage isn't out....wear something with more brown in it. I've seen it both ways. No way to know until the time comes to hunt. As far as I'm concerned where you set up is just as important. Set up on the shady side of a tree for example as opposed to the side of the tree where the sun will illuminate your every move.

I have extensively hunted both private and public land during turkey season. I've never known a roosted bird to not still be in the same spot the next morning. If you're certain of the birds whereabouts I wouldn't bother to use a locator on him.....just be confident in your previous evening scouting. If he was there last night....there's a very good chance he'll still be there when you set up. Having said that....throwing an owl hoot or two out there to make him gobble and calm your worry doesn't hurt anything either.

I didnt read your other thread entirely so I dont know if this was mentioned or not but it bears repeating regardless. Be sure to pack a small limb pruner/brush saw in your pack. You'll use it often.

6. deep woods goat hunter

Heres how to turkey hunt in a nutshell.
    1) Figure out where turkeys do turkey things

2) Pitch your turkey tent and brush it in

3) Stick out a single feeding hen decoy 17 yards away from the tent

4) Get in your tent and load your gun

5)Wait til an hour after fly down and make a couple calls

5) Wait for the turkey

6) Shoot the Turkey

7) Get a box of beer on the way home

Alaskageek and Hawk like this.
  7. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Truth of the matter is that is pretty close. Especially if you are on private ground, they don't mind a blind. Only slight mod is a GOOD single feeding hen decoy, I run DSD's and swear by them.

8. deep woods goat hunter

I didn't put that in there, but that's what I have used past 4-5 years also. I used to be all about the DSD jake decoy too until turkeys got used to every hunter having then out. Ive come to realize if you are patient and not all about instant gratification of having the badd attitude turkey come running in that you will typically have one play your game with the lone hen decoy by 9 oclock if you are have followed step 1 (figure out where turkeys do turkey things).

fullfan likes this.
  9. beardsNspurs78

beardsNspurs78 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2008
    Philly, MO
    Only one of these that is guaranteed successful is #7. And you have instant gratification with no waiting. Its really the best one listed all things considered.

10. Alaskageek

Alaskageek New Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Thats a pic taken by my father on Pomme de Terre. Was the first trip I made over with my kids. We had spent a long day swimming, fishing and cursing the lake in the pontoon. Good times..... Great memories!!!

11. deep woods goat hunter

I just figured you googled "handsome shirtless man on boat" and used that as your avatar. Regardless its great, lol

Alaskageek likes this.
  12. Alaskageek

Alaskageek New Member

Jan 25, 2018

Some great advice. Thanks beardsNspurs78. It's the first time a saw/pruner has been suggested.... but after thinking about it, makes a alot of sense. When I finally move to MO (come on Fall 2025!!!!) I will be more likely to have various styles of camo, but I will keep the advice in mind. Right now, with money so tight, will have to most likely go with what I've got.

13. Alaskageek

Alaskageek New Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Wish my OCD and overthinking brain would keep it that easy!!

14. deep woods goat hunter

If you deer hunt a have piles of trail cameras like me, it makes it pretty simple. dont put cameras in the woods, keep em on field edges, check them after dark when turks are sleeping.
    ive had good luck with time lapse mode also. Wonder if I can find my old thread from couple years ago...
    I keep it simple with the tents... blue jeans and a black hoodie and hat are really all you need.

Wings Fan 19 and Alaskageek like this.
  15. deep woods goat hunter

Here's an example of scout and swat. no calling, no decoys.

Alaskageek likes this.
  16. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Key to successful turkey hunting right there, Model 21. :tup:

17. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    No need to brush in a turk blind IMO.
    Being where turks want to be makes killing them alot easier. Scouting/trail camming pays off big time.

Alaskageek likes this.
  18. deep woods goat hunter

I dont brush em in on my spots, I just learned from hunting out west that they were wise to them from time to time. Like once geese figured out what layout blinds were before brushing them in. its not needed often times, but I'm a fan of eliminating hindsight.

Alaskageek and Wings Fan 19 like this.
  19. deep woods goat hunter

sweetest shooting gun I (Dad) owns LOL

20. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    They are very nice... I'll just stick to my old poor man's Ithaca 12 SxS for now... But, it's pretty sweet too. :D