Talk to me about game carts

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear (General)' started by ed2brute, Nov 14, 2010.

1. ed2brute

ed2brute Member

Nov 6, 2010
    I dragged a deer 0.96 miles and ascended 110 feet from the creek bottom where it dropped to where I parked today. It took hours. I'm not as young as I used to be and I admit I'm not quite in the same shape I was in back in high school, still the deer shows the wear and I can feel the wear!! I'm not allowed to take a quad back where I hammered this deer, so that's out. I could take a horse, but I'm not sure everyone is really familiar with the differences between horses and deer and I'm not interested in dragging my horse out, too. ;)

So, talk to me about game carts. What should I look for in one and which ones are pretty good?

2. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005

3. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I love it, it's light and it's easy to pull in rough terrain. At 18 lbs, it's a keeper!

4. Heart shot

Heart shot Active Member

Jul 19, 2008
    St. Louis
    I would love to find a great cart too. Sturdy and light. I hauled my 200lb buck almost 2 miles, while my dad dragged my doe. I will be sore for week.

5. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Guys, this aluminum cart is the cats meow! It quiet to backpack in too.

6. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    Cabelas has the Ameristep one on sale still

s7_420219_999_01
    Ameristep® 300-lb. Steel Deer Cart
    Change Currency: USD Currency: USD Regular Price: $99.99Sale Price: $49.99
    Qty: Item: IK-420219
    In Stock

Item

7. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    i have never met a commercial aluminum cart that I didnt like. Rogers sporting goods in liberty will more than likely be the cheapest place to get one.

Parker

8. golfnut1969

golfnut1969 You're not a golfer.

[rquote=1895524&tid=132077&author=ed2brute]... I could take a horse, but I'm not sure everyone is really familiar with the differences between horses and deer and I'm not interested in dragging my horse out, too. ;) [/rquote]

I don't know why, but what you said there had me laughing so hard I just about peed my pants!

9. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    Push come to shove, get a tarp. A tarp slides much easier then a deer. Small enough to pack in and no noise.

10. yankee

yankee Senior Member

i have used one of those green plastic sleds, secure the deer to it and it slides along easily, you could stash the sleds whereever, place a big rock on em and cover em up, so you have em handy when ya need em, or carry em back when needed, i can post photo's of what i use if you like

11. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    I've used a couple different styles of game carts. I like the ones that have a lower profile and a bit of width to them because they don't tip over when you are on rough terrain. Also....a big must....buy a set of ratchet straps and secure them to it so they will be there when you need to use the cart. A game cart with no ratchet straps is more trouble than draggin the deer 2 miles uphill.

12. thompson

thompson Active Member

Nov 26, 2007
    [rquote=1895613&tid=132077&author=Longbow26] Cabelas has the Ameristep one on sale still

s7_420219_999_01
    In Stock

Item [/rquote]

I have the same one and for the money it cannot be beat:2thumbsup:

13. stlwolf

stlwolf New Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Warren County
    [rquote=1900871&tid=132077&author=thompson][rquote=1895613&tid=132077&author=Longbow26] Cabelas has the Ameristep one on sale still

s7_420219_999_01
    In Stock

Item [/rquote]

I have the same one and for the money it cannot be beat:2thumbsup:[/rquote]

Thats a hard deal to beat!!

14. Refuze2falo

Refuze2falo Plain White Cracker

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
  15. hun10

hun10 Senior Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Up A Creek
    Good info gents. I too am interested in one of these. Maybe Santy Clause will visit me this year.:D

16. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I don't like pulling 10 -12 lbs more than I have to, that's why I like the aluminum deer carts. At almost 19 lbs, they are lighter than a steel 30+ lbs. Dead weight = more energy to pull. Long distances will be a factor, just remember that. Used both, aluminum wins hands down-

17. glennasher1

glennasher1 Active Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    Here's my cousin's horsecart. He made it himself, claiming the most costly thing on it, is the plywood floor and seat, everything else came off the junk pile out in the barnyard. He uses it only on his place, so if someone shoots his horse, that individual would be feeding worms and buzzards.

Note that the back of the cart is low to the ground, so it's easier to load the deer on it. Not quite as handy as a tractor with a frontend loader, but pretty darned useful. He hauled out three deer with it this year already.

NO, he's not Amish..............................

[file]148983[/file]

18. Joeyman

Joeyman New Member

Feb 29, 2008
    St. Louis Mo
    we used a wheelbarrow this weekend. hauled two deer with it.

19. I once had to drag a doe up a steep hill about 75 yards with a broken leg all wrapped up in a cast. None of my buddies would come help me cause they all had bucks running by them. Guess it shows you who your friends are! Of course two of them showed up to help at the same time AFTER I had just gotten the deer pulled up. Least I had a rope to help!

20. Tank

Tank New Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Keytesville Sorta
    [rquote=1895650&tid=132077&author=golfnut1969][rquote=1895524&tid=132077&author=ed2brute]... I could take a horse, but I'm not sure everyone is really familiar with the differences between horses and deer and I'm not interested in dragging my horse out, too. ;) [/rquote]

I don't know why, but what you said there had me laughing so hard I just about peed my pants!
    [/rquote]

X2:hysterical::hysterical: