Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
You ever get down to the Paris area around Mark Twain Lake? We have been covered in them this year and they are still showing up almost every day on the cams
I pretty much drive past there on the way to my place. I take 61 to Hannibal then 36 west. Happy to come call them for you and you can shoot ‘em. Or come up to my place. Always like hunting with people. Well, usually at least! :) If you can get bob up there too, I can show him some pointers. It’s closer than my place.

Reactions: 20'

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Depends on the terrain. You might be able to call every couple hundred yards if you are in woods and hilly terrain. Or might have to travel miles if you have wide open terrain.

Like Ben said, watch the wind. If the wind is blowing towards the cover that you think the coyotes are in, I dont waste my time and educate them. I go somewhere else.

Definitely public land. Especially wooded. I'm sure every field in public has been called, but all the public MTNF down here dont have any fields, and I dont think much pressure.
I would also add that it depends on wind. Windy day you can make your sets closer and it also depends how loud you get with your caller. It’s hard to put an actual distance on it as a lot of my ground isn’t contiguous, so it’s not so much my choice all the time but for the larger farms I do have access to, I’m guessing about a mile, maybe a little less. I know if i want them to, they will hear me a mile away very easily. Doesn’t mean they’re gonna come a mile to you, but you have their interest already if you move closer. I’m also fairly certain that if there’s a dog within reasonable distance, I’ll be able to pull it in. If I don’t call it in, im assuming it didn’t hear me and when I move, it won’t be quite as far. Plumbob is right about the wind. You might be tempted to think you’ll get lucky one time, but you will not. :)

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I hunt terrain that's 50/50 but seldom get coyote to cross fields like you see on TV. What terrain features are you looking for in heavy woods. I feel that is my weakness.
Check out the MFK guys on YouTube. They hunt exclusively in the woods. Pretty wild seeing half a dozen coyotes inside 30 yards. #4 buckshot unless you want to shoot tss and kill $10 coyotes with $12 shells lol

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I've called them at all parts of the day, but probably have better luck in the morning, but that may be I have hunted more in the mornings. If they are hungry or in the mood, they can be called. If not hungry or in the mood, they will stay napping and ignore you.
@Jagermeister. Agree with this. They can be killed all times of the day. What is best? It fluctuates so much, not sure why, maybe time of year. I don’t keep track of any data, but for awhile I was having great luck from 9-11, and then for while I had better luck in the evenings, but lately I’ve had better luck in the mornings, so I think the short answer is anytime. Middle of the day, I believe to be better in the timber. They are likely sleeping, but definitely chilling and not hunting. You get in the timber with them and light up a howl 150 yards away, you’re gonna piss them off and they’ll come to fight you. Like I mentioned before, check out the mfk videos. I don’t like to let them ignore me. Every coyote will have a trigger, you just have to find it. Food, fock, or fight. He may not be hungry and might not be horny, but he’s still territorial and so is she and if you get into an alpha pair, and you get a little aggressive with your vocals, you’ll probably get at least one interested and if one comes, a lot of times, you’ll get the whole group.
@BC-Buck, when you say you can’t get them to cross a field, are you seeing them stop at the edge, are you hearing them, like they are answering you but don’t come. Basically how do you know you can’t get them to cross? They can be finicky, especially with decoys. If they’ve gotten shot at and missed with a decoy and they see that decoy out in the field, they won’t come to it. I think I had this happen a couple weeks ago. I called one to the edge of the field and he sat and watched. I strongly believe there were other coyotes with him still in the timber. There were turkeys that I saw go into the timber just prior to my set. 20 minutes later I heard a weird Turkey sound which now I’m convinced was a coyote going after it. At 22 minutes, I saw the coyote sitting at 325 yards, all I could see was head and ears. I would have had to move a fair amount to get the shot so opted to wait him out and see what he’d do. He kept looking to the caller and looking back, over and over. I played several different sounds to get him to come, but he sat there for 7 minutes deciding what to do before turning and going back to the timber. I’m pretty sure the decoy freaked him out and he’s probably see a decoy and possibly mine before. But I’ve killed way more dogs within 20 yards of the decoy, so I’ll probably continue using it, just not on that particular set. If you don’t use a decoy, try adding it and seeing if it helps them to commit.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Decoys are great for bobcats. Much less so for coyotes.

·
Registered
17,334 Posts
I pretty much drive past there on the way to my place. I take 61 to Hannibal then 36 west. Happy to come call them for you and you can shoot ‘em. Or come up to my place. Always like hunting with people. Well, usually at least! :) If you can get bob up there too, I can show him some pointers. It’s closer than my place.
Getting up there is tough these days with 2 kiddos. I'd be more than fine to give you the address and some locations on where they have been pretty often. There's about 6-8 that roam daily thru us. Let me know, I may try to sneak up there next weekend but I'd only have a short window early in the morning as I have a lot of work to get going on with the skidsteer.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts