Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It wasn't warm enough today, so I went to the shop and put the final touches on this one.
Forged from 1" 5160 stock.
Forged, etched, and file-worked Wrought iron guard and butt cap.
Mild steel finial.
Checkered copper ferrule.
Some really clean Desert Ironwood that has some strange character to it. Sort of knotty!.
Take-down configuration.

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
That etched wrought iron and ironwood combination are my favorite of all you do, KBA!!! Are ya comin to MoJam?

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Originally posted by kbaknife
When is that?
And where?
Think I ought to sell some knives there?
kba, click on the link at the bottom of my post, it'll tell ya all about it!!!!

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Another beauty!!
:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
KBA...have you ever put one together, with this same configuration, only with a damascus blade??? The ironwood/etched wrought iron combination is my favorite!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I haven't.
Too many possible combinations - too little time!
Keep your eye on this topic for a new little hunter from Andersen Forge!
(I'll have a few Damascus pieces in the near future)

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Is the knife above sold? Is the 5160 easy to sharpen? How do you recommend sharpening your knives? (can ya tell I want one...specially ironwood)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just finished it yesterday, and it's not sold yet. I don't even have the sheath done yet!
The sharpenability of a blade depends on the tempering temperature and the edge profile.
I sort of grind mine to be stupid-proof! I'm not all that good at sharpening knives, so I learned to do a grind, which is called the "Modified Price Grind". It's a slight diversion from the grind used my an old time maker by the name of Michael Price.
The top 1/3 of my blades are basically flat. then, it rolls into a convex grind down to the cutting edge.
What you would do with this blade is lay it almost flat on a stone and then raise the spine about 20-25 degrees. Then, pretend you are trying to slice the top of the stone off!
This knife should perform very well.
Clcik on this link - http://www.thefineredge.com/On_Line_Issues/July_2006/page_15.htm
It is the first page of an article on me. In that article there is a page on my take-down assembly.
Also, make sure you see the center spread!
See what you think.

·
5,632 Posts
Karl, that was a great article, man!

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Karl...that damascus blade is amazing!!! I'd sure like to see that with the Ironwood, checkered brass and etched wrought iron...!!! Good stuff there:cheers:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Damascus in that blade is 512 layers of W2 and 203E steels. I forged the blade to shape, deeply etched it to show the varying layers of steel and then hot blued it - the blade - to match the fittings!
I think I showed it here once, but I'll show it again just for the heck of it.
I have two more pieces of that steel and am saving them for something special!

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.