Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
13,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It has been a very slow season for me up till this weekend. I had a gobbler come in Saturday morning that I should have killed, but was out of position and he came in faster than I expected and caught me off guard. He slipped behind some trees and out of sight before I could get turned for a shot. While trying to work him back in, a couple jakes came in and I killed one of them.

The next morning my brother and I sat in the same spot and the tom roosted in the same area, but took a slightly different path instead of coming to us. Again, while messing with the tom, three jakes came in and he busted one.

This morning, I got up 30 minutes early and slipped in close to where the tom had been roosting and in the path he had taken the previous two mornings. He finally let out a gobble at 5:45am to let me know he was in the same area. After gobbling one more time, he pitched down just before 6am while it was still pretty dark out. A nearby hen was starting to let out a few soft yelps so I did two sets of my own. The tom answered me the second time and then a few minutes later I could hear him spitting and walking in the leaves just over the lip of where I was sitting. Shortly after that, he popped in to view in full strut about 30 yards away. The gun was up and on him and as soon as he came out of strut and stuck his head out, I rolled him. Done at 6:12am!

This season was very similar to how last year went. Not much action the first week and then things picked up the second weekend.

Jake from Saturday morning
Road surface Asphalt Tar Grass Tail

Gobbler from this morning. 22.5#, 1.25" spurs, 11" beard
Tire Wheel Plant Car Automotive tire

· Banned
81,617 Posts
Congrats Seth. I hope they continue picking up. It's got it's own rewards when it gets tough and they finally wake up and start following the script.

· Registered
13,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats Seth. I hope they continue picking up. It's got it's own rewards when it gets tough and they finally wake up and start following the script.
It seems like if I don't bust one the first day, I may as well just take a week off before getting back after it. This is the quietest year I can remember for gobbling aside from the very first day of season. I know the birds are around too.

· Registered
2,145 Posts
I feel exactly the opposite. Gobbling and interest just seem to wain exponentially after the first week and a half. Considering the low number of birds, youth season was awesome as it was up through last Wednesday (gobbling and interest in calls). Then, like every year it just died. Hunted with buddies Friday through Sunday. Heard 2 birds and saw two others. They paid absolutely 0 attention to calls or live hens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.