tactics for hunting in the rain?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by thh058, Apr 26, 2006.

1. thh058

thh058 Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Jefferson County
    well....i was unsuccessful monday and tuesday. i heard alot of gobbles monday, but not a peep tuesday (windy, gloomy and temps dropping like a rock).

so, i won't get to hunt again until saturday and sunday....and surprise, surprise...the weather man says rain friday-monday for back home. so, assuming i can figure out how to stay dry, how should i go about hunting birds if they aren't talking? set up in the woods or fields edges?

:confused:

2. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    in the rain, providing its not lightining real bad and not pouring, ive had my best luck with them out in the field... many times have had them gobble when it thunders even.

If its lightining and real nasty, albeit crazy because trees get struck by lightining, ive found that they will go back to their roost..

3. droptine

droptine New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Jeff City
    That's usually what I do too...go back to my roost! :hysterical:

4. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    And also in rainy weather I keep my calling very soft and not too much. Henry and I were talking about this earler today and we both agree turkey birds don't make a lot of racket in inclement weather.

Jack

5. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    i know ya mentioned it, but dont forget your poncho :dancin:

6. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    If it is just a light rain I have also always had luck in open fields. I think they feel safer there since they can't hear their predators sneaking up on them.

7. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

sit & pretend you'v been in worse

8. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Everytime I try this tactic it usually ends up being the worse I've ever been in! Deer season is bad about this! LOL

I'd try setting up on field edges near funnels that the birds like to use. Like Jack said, call softly. Clucks and purrs and clicks and such would probably work nicely beings that they constantly talk while they feed.

Now here comes the tricky part...

When they hang up at 50 yds out in the field, it's MANDATORY that you bust out of your hiding spot screaming like a banshee and popping shots at them. Cross your fingers for a "lucky pellet"!!! :hysterical::hysterical: